Talk nature photography gear setups

Edit My Images
No
I saw mention of these products (South African designed and manufactured) that look very interesting..........?

And

As you will see, both have been designed with safari usage in mind but the door mount especially(?) struck me, as a good number of folk here at TP talk of using their car/van as a mobile hide.

My budget approach is a length of foam pipe lagging with a slot cut in it. Slips on the top of part-retracted window glass and provides a stable rest. Cheap, easy to pack, easy to move from one window to another.

They do make some impressive gear including the 'boat chair gimbal' used by 'Pangolin Safaris' in Chobe, Botswana. - I'm hoping to be using one shortly!
I noticed that in the Gimpro product range too.

Re: Pangolin ~ what with @Fordsabroad & @Bebop recently postings I am still sorely tempted but hesitant (no specific reason just :thinking: )at this time. Can I ask what time of year (I note you say shortly?) are booked to go?

Box

Re: Pangolin ~ what with @Fordsabroad & @Bebop recently postings I am still sorely tempted but hesitant (no specific reason just :thinking: )at this time. Can I ask what time of year (I note you say shortly?) are booked to go?
[/QUOTE]
Box Brownie.
I think you can see that both Bebop and myself had a great experience on Safari with Pangolin. Their website shows the normal prices which can be very high in peak times especially when you factor in single supplements. I believe the high season is between May to Nov. This is the dry season which means the animals are more inclined to come to the river to drink. This puts the boats you shoot from in a unique position.
From what I have gleaned the rainy season (Nov- May) is not so good for animals but great for birds. Pangolin have been offering "specials" which is what we managed to book. We were lucky to get a special towards the end of the dry season. As well as discounting the safari they waive the single supplement. I think I paid USD$2500.
They currently have 3 dates in March that they are running specials at an even cheaper price of USD$1600 with no single supplement. Theses are not advertised on their website you need to email them.
I am very tempted by one of these but am aware that it is unlikely to be as busy (with animals) than the last one.
I think, unless birds are your thing that the high season trips will yeald more pictures but at a substantially higher cost.

I noticed that in the Gimpro product range too.

I'm trying to sort out one of their current 'offers' (december, or january) but need to add to the itinery, without breaking the bank, as its a LONG way to go for just 6 nights!

I'm trying to sort out one of their current 'offers' (december, or january) but need to add to the itinery, without breaking the bank, as its a LONG way to go for just 6 nights!
I had an email with their 23/24 offers......................... :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I had an email with their 23/24 offers......................... :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Hi Box Brownie.
The current offer for March (there may be availability earlier) is $1600, with no single supplement. If you pay full price and single supplement it would be $4750 or from April over $7000!!
The flight from Johannesburg to Kasane (return) is around £380. If you fly to Johannesburg with Virgin you will need to stay overnight in Johannesburg. The city lodge within the airport is £80.
Tips are up to you but you should work on $150. You then need to factor in air fare from UK to Johannesburg. Both Virgin and British Airways fly from Heathrow. BA arrives earlier than Virgin so avoids the need for an overnight stay.
The whole trip does add up
But the offer from Pangolin is good.
It is always worth asking them if they have any specials, it can be a substantial saving.

Last edited:
Back