Talmont - little French village

Name
Fabien
Edit My Images
Yes
This is actually my first set of photos I have put on here, so looking forward to your comments.

Ok - I have to tread carefully here because (1) I dont want to put you off - I want to encourage you and (2) Im not a bad person so anything I say - is purely to help you, so please do not take any C&C personally, its purely here to help and Im spending a fair bit of time to analyse each of your images ok :)

Im not seeing much of the village, I thought there may be some street shots, the closest I can see to it being a village, if the shot across the water with the church (which I like by the way).
Other things I like: Your horizontals look good (y) a classic mistake is getting a photo on the wobble.

Post up your EXIF data so we know what settings you have used in taking your images, it helps us digest what you have done, if anything we can spot wrong.

The only gripes I have with your images are (i) everything is very central, from the dog in the water, to the steps, to the boats in the dock.

Im not sure about the wall with the sky behind it - I don't know what you were trying to photograph there, the wall or the sky? Its not doing much for me, sorry. The lens flare is a little distracting too. Try and watch for those suckers, you can fix it in post production though so no major issue with that, but if you can prevent it from being taken in the first place, saves you time messing about with your editing software :)

I quite like the steps, some nice leading lines though some of the concrete is blown out because of the reflection of sun directly on the steps - but I do love the shadows on each step :)

The dog in the water looks very snap-shot, sorry :(

The boats in the dock, ok its central - that might be your thing/your style and thats fine, the image seems a little soft and if you look to the middle-right, I think there is a tree popping out, you may want to clone-remove it or crop the image slightly from the top.

You have a good eye for photography, all I can see are little niggles, things easily improved upon. If you can use a photo service to store the images instead of TP, we can see what settings you used on your photos to get a better understanding of "how you took the photos", which means we an help more in getting some improvements with suggestions.

My other niggle would be: Theres no real dept of field to these photos and they seem flat (DOF will be due to possibly you shooting at F9 or above) and flat, because of processing. Some contrast always helps to pop things out.

Hope I wasn't too harsh on you - it certainly isn't mean to be. Keep on shooting, will be great to watch and follow your progress! :)

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the C&C, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe my title was incorrect, I took about 50 images when I was in that area and I posted the 5 "I thought" were the most decent.
The shot of the village across was actually taken from a boat (little cruise around the village).

I will try at some point to answer the reason behind some of the shots.

Which photo service do you recommend?
I currently store my photos on google+ but I don't think you can see the settings used.

Last edited:
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the C&C, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe my title was incorrect, I took about 50 images when I was in that area and I posted the 5 "I thought" were the most decent.
The shot of the village across was actually taken from a boat (little cruise around the village).

I will try at some point to answer the reason behind some of the shots.

Which photo service do you recommend?
I currently store my photos on google+ but I don't think you can see the settings used.
I use Flickr, lots of people use Flickr as its unlimited space (and free), I did use photobucket to begin with but I really like Flickr now, good software and is handy as a backup (y)

Sorry I didn't have much time to do this until now.
I have now uploaded the photos to Flickr, https://flic.kr/s/aHsk47LEk8

At the moment I am more trying to work on the composition and leading lines rather than the camera settings (although I try to shoot on aperture priority rather than auto), but I will try to bear in mind to shoot under F9 for more DOF.

I was trying to practice using the rule of third for the boat photo and the shot across the water. The boat photo is actually my favourite of the lot but I guess it needs some improvements or a different focal point?
It didn't have the impression that everything is very central, but that's maybe my novice eye. What do you exactly mean by central? Where should have been the focal point?

The story behind the photo with the dog, is I found this dog funny taking a bath in the river. It was a very hot day and the dog looked very comfortable in the river. Maybe wrong composition?

Back