Tamron 17-50 2.8

cam1986

Suspended / Banned
Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
Tamron 17-50 2.8

Is this a good lens to get? Looking for one to compliment my 50mm 1.8.

Would be using it for general photography and portraits of daughter. Thanks

Last edited:
I think its the best bang for your buck as a walkabout lens on a crop body.

I loved mine and will probably buy another.

What, the Tamron or the Sigma? Tamron every day for the constant f/2.8 aperture and amazing IQ. Had the mk2 non-vc, which was excellent....

What, the Tamron or the Sigma? Tamron every day for the constant f/2.8 aperture and amazing IQ. Had the mk2 non-vc, which was excellent....

Ooof!, missed that, sorry.

I was talking about the Tamron 17-50mm, I had the non-vc one, cracking value for money.

Also, would i use the 50mm 1.8 if i got the Tamron? Would there be a need do you think? Being that the Tamron goes up to 50mm.

The Tamron is a constant f/2.8 whereas the maximum available aperture on the Sigma varies, from 2.8 at 17mm to f/4 at 70mm. I've only owned the Tamron out of the pair but it's a fantastic wee lens for the money, optically not far off the the Nikon and Canon "pro" lenses in that focal length. The build quality isn't quite as good but then it's a fraction of the price so.....;)

Yea, guess the Tamron is the one to go for then.

Would i still use the nifty fifty do you think?

Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 DC OS HSM lens

theres one for sale on this forum i think

Yea, guess the Tamron is the one to go for then.

Would i still use the nifty fifty do you think?

I bought the Tamron and a 50mm at the same time, the 50 was sold a couple of months or so later when I realised I'd hardly used it....

There is also the sigma 18-50 f2.8 which is also very sharp and fast focusing. Tis a little cheaper than the tamron too

cam1986 said:
Tamron 17-50 2.8

I've been telling you to get this lens for ages!!

Also, would i use the 50mm 1.8 if i got the Tamron? Would there be a need do you think? Being that the Tamron goes up to 50mm.

I still use both. If anything, I probably use my 50mm a bit more - the extra stop and a bit is handy in the evening. The 17-50's great, definitely worth the money.

Ooof!, missed that, sorry.

I was talking about the Tamron 17-50mm, I had the non-vc one, cracking value for money.

I was actually referring to the fact the OP titles the thread 'Tamron 17-50' but started talking about the Sigma (y)

How much do the Tamron 17-50 2.8 lenses go 2nd hand?

Non VC Around £200-220 ish 2nd hand, they are new around £267-300

VC are a little more £270-300 2nd hand or £345-375 new

Was awesome. Brilliant iq. Bought the Nikon 17-55 though as lens snobbery got the better of me :LOL:

I got a Tamron off ebay and it was no better than the kit lens so got rid of it again. Currently saving for the Canon!

I got a Tamron off ebay and it was no better than the kit lens so got rid of it again. Currently saving for the Canon!

How can it be no better when it has 2.8f throughout its range?

You surprise me there after what others have said about the lens

it came a a major disappointment to me! I'm assuming I just got a dodgy one.

Has anyone personally had a chance to compare the Tamron with the Canon 17-55mm f2.8?

Is this thread and all the positive reviews referring to the VC or non-VC Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8?

I've the non vc tamron Lens bought to replace standard kit lens after a friends recommendation. Managed to source decent priced one with UK warranty (ones from hong kong and there are plenty cheaper for sale are not covered in Uk i was lead to believe).

Cracking lens and love the constant 2.8. Primarily used for portraiture.

Gets thumbs up from me.

I am trying to decide between the VC and non-VC 17-55mm 2.8.

How important is VC at 17-55mm?

Frome what people have said in here, the non VC is so much better

Back