Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC from Panamoz

Edit My Images
No
Now that I have upgraded to Canon 5D3 from Canon 7D, I have been looking to find a standard zoom lens to go with it. I have been going back and forth between Canon 24-105mm f4 IS and Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC.

I just noticed that the prices at Panamoz has come down, so I pulled the trigger on the Tamron. From reading online reviews, I still have my concern about the potential QC issue on Tamron, but the price is good at Panamoz, and they advertise 14-day money back guarantee along with 3-year "UK" warranty, so I take my chance. The impression so far has been good. I made a BACS transfer on Thursday afternoon, and received the tracking number on Friday. The lens seem to be scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Wednesday), so it is fast as I can expect.

I will post update when it arrives, and see if I can help people being more (or less) comfortable with Tamron QC and/or Panamoz service.

Now if you have opinion on whether I made the right decision with Tamron/Panamoz, please discuss. :)

I am sure we will discuss in a few days when it arrives. It will be interesting to see how you get on with it. They are very attractive for VC, particularly for video work and 1/2 price of canon.

24-70 VC is a good cost, but they have exceptional price on Tamron 70-200 VC, almost half of what it costs locally....

Went from 24 105 is to the tamron 24 70 on a 5d iii and no complaints here, good move.

24-70 VC is a good cost, but they have exceptional price on Tamron 70-200 VC, almost half of what it costs locally....

You are feeding my GAS here.. Now I'm looking at the Tamron 70-200. I checked it out when it released, but the price was still high. Panamoz really has a decent price now. It seems to get good reviews. However, there are some downside from what I read:
1) 200mm on the Tamron is a bit shorter than real 200mm.
2) Wide open, it may not be as sharp as Canon 70-200 Mk2 at 200mm (probably at edge).
3) It may not take TCs well.

Well, it prices at less than half of Canon Mk2, so I can't really complain. It does seem like a better alternative to Sigma 70-200 OS. I normally do wildlife shots with Canon 100-400 and 400 f5.6, but usually wish for faster glass when the light is low. (Still dreaming about 300 f2.8 and 500 f4) Therefore, I am mainly interested in the telephoto end. I guess the Tamron would be an excellent choice for portrait.

Ok, I need to stop thinking of new gears for a while! Still excited about my Tamron 24-70. It is out for delivery now! Really feel like a kid with new toy, lol.

You are feeding my GAS here.. Now I'm looking at the Tamron 70-200. I checked it out when it released, but the price was still high. Panamoz really has a decent price now. It seems to get good reviews. However, there are some downside from what I read:
2) Wide open, it may not be as sharp as Canon 70-200 Mk2 at 200mm (probably at edge).

Well, it prices at less than half of Canon Mk2, so I can't really complain. It does seem like a better alternative to Sigma 70-200 OS. I normally do wildlife shots with Canon 100-400 and 400 f5.6, but usually wish for faster glass when the light is low. (Still dreaming about 300 f2.8 and 500 f4) Therefore, I am mainly interested in the telephoto end. I guess the Tamron would be an excellent choice for portrait.
Ok, I need to stop thinking of new gears for a while! Still excited about my Tamron 24-70. It is out for delivery now! Really feel like a kid with new toy, lol.

i've been mulling over changing my 24-105 to a Tammy 24-70 VC.
Let us all know what you think and post some pics!!!!!:)

Went from 24 105 is to the tamron 24 70 on a 5d iii and no complaints here, good move.

Great to hear that. I never use the Canon 24-105, so I wouldn't be able to compare. What made you switch to the Tamron? The obvious advantage is that it's f2.8. Do you find any differences in IQ, build, handling, AF speed, etc?

My 24-70 VC came from HK (OneStop-Digital) and has replaced the kit 24-105. It is a peach of a lens and is a very nice upgrade over the 24-105. Focus is spot on and lens is sharp wide open. VC works very well indeed and build feels equal to L quality.

My Tamron arrived this afternoon. The package was packed well, and arrived in great condition. I only managed to do a few quick test shots, and checked on camera LCD so far. My first impression is good. I can only compare it to my Tamron 17-50 VC, which I like.

The 24-70 looks similar, but seems a little better built. It is big and heavy as expected, though.

VC is very quiet. I will need to see how well it works, but given the performance of the 17-50, I'm not worried.

USD makes AF very quiet and snappy, much better than 17-50. Probably not as good as Canon USM, but I don't need super fast AF for this focal range.

The zoom is a bit stiff, but I guess it may loosen a little over time.

So far so good. I may play around with AFMA later tonight if I have time.

If I was buying now I would probably go for the Tamron over the canon. 90% of the performance of the canon for 50% of the cost! if reliability's good that's a complete bargain!

RE the 24 -70, I have a friend who's been getting some stunning street shots from his. Enjoy!

Alright, I managed to do some brick wall test. lol. I am no expert so don't expect it to be accurate.

In any case, I'm pleased with the result. In the center, it is reasonably sharp even wide open. There is a lot of vignette wide open, but the sharpness is reasonable at the edge. Extreme corner may be a little soft wide open ( It could also be my inability to line up with the wall ), but it gets better at f4. At f8, the corner is reasonably sharp.

Given the result, I'm afraid I will not have a chance to test Panamoz customer service. What do you think? Am I missing something?

Here are some photos. RAW with no sharpening/NR.

24mm Center f2.8/4/5.6/8

24mm Edge f2.8/4/5.6/8

24mm Corner f2.8/4/5.6/8

70mm Center f2.8/4/5.6/8

70mm Edge f2.8/4/5.6/8

70mm Corner f2.8/4/5.6/8

I sold a Canon 24-70 to try the Tamron 2.8 VC and very reluctantly returned it as I found the AF was a bit unreliable and found the Canon version a bit quicker so I gave it back and bought another Canon one. If I wasnt shooting weddings, I'd be perfectly happy with the Tamron

I sold a Canon 24-70 to try the Tamron 2.8 VC and very reluctantly returned it as I found the AF was a bit unreliable and found the Canon version a bit quicker so I gave it back and bought another Canon one. If I wasnt shooting weddings, I'd be perfectly happy with the Tamron

That's a good point. I will have to go out and take more pictures to get a sense of whether AF is accurate for my use.

Please keep us updated. I'm seriously considering this lens for my D600 as the Nikon variant is well out of my budget.

How quick is the VC? I have read reviews that it is very slow to engage on the 70-200 and 17-50 so just wanted to make sure the 24-70 is fairly quick.

Great to hear that. I never use the Canon 24-105, so I wouldn't be able to compare. What made you switch to the Tamron? The obvious advantage is that it's f2.8. Do you find any differences in IQ, build, handling, AF speed, etc?

It was more a case of getting the tamron then not using the 24 105 so sold it.
I personally find the tamron better handling and as you guessed the 2.8 is the real benefit, both built well etc.

I have failed to resist that offer and my Tamron 70-200 VC arrived. That thing is heavy! So far so good, will do some more testing tomorrow. However from a brief play I am quite impressed. It is very sharp wide open. VC is amazingly good, 4 stops easily and completely silent. Auto-focus is accurate, very quick and silent. The lens has very good build quality feel overall. Absolute bargain for that price for sure. I am happy.

By the way, surprisingly good service from Panamoz. Quick and efficient communication and delivery for just 4 days over the weekend. Would use them again.

Looking to buy the tamron 24-70 from panamoz but it's sold out! Anywhere else I can grab one at a similar price?

Last edited:
Got one now :)

Onestopdigital £600 delivered paid via PayPal. Had £16 customs charge but onestopdigital refund it arrived within 4 days

Back