Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6

Edit My Images
Yes
Is this Lens any good. After a budget Telephoto lens just to be going on with till I can afford a decent one.

Is this Lens any good. After a budget Telephoto lens just to be going on with till I can afford a decent one.

Not used the Tamron personally, so can't comment on it - I'm sure plenty will be along with their views, but depending on what you are shooting with (i.e. Canon / Nikon), if Canon, then another option to maybe consider would be the Canon 55-250IS lens, it's able to be got for a good, reasonable price, gives great results and you shouldn't loose too much if / when you wanted to sell to be able to upgrade...

Yeah I'd contemplated the canon but it's ever so slightly over budget. Unless I can find a used one.

Yeah I'd contemplated the canon but it's ever so slightly over budget. Unless I can find a used one.

Depends on what you're budget is, but as for 2nd hand prices, there is one in the classifieds on here for £85. So might be worth a wait til you can access the classifieds and then look for one on here ...

It's very good for the money, although suffers from PF, albeit easily addressed in pp.

If you are referring to the VC USD Tamron there has been a recent thread on here. If you look for it you will find the comments are very positive. I have one and it is an excellent lens.

Best bang for your bucks available in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sorry i have no experience of that lens.

The rules say 25 posts and 60 days membership.

Last edited:
There is some 300mm Canon lenses for similar money on mono. Would they be ok also. Looking for a lens for aviation and trains.

Think I'm defo going to go with the Second hand Canon 250. It looks ideal and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

It says it's in excellent condition for £84

A bit late but my 2 cents worth on this lens. I used the cheap non VC version in Pentax mount for a few years, the Pentax had inbuilt SR so no camera shake problems. The image quality varied form poor to very acceptable for the price paid (£50 new) If used between f8 - f11 and zoomed no further than 270mm it was good, plus it had the added close up option.

I also have the 55-250 mkii for my Canon and although it may be a good bargain I find that the IS isn't as good as the inbuilt Pentax SR also I find that with my copy the sharpness tails off very badly past 200mm effectively making it a useful 55-200 lens.

Last edited:
I would never use Nikon my friend who works in Cameraworld converted from Nikon to a canon 5 D mk ii he said I'm glad I converted to the dark side,I also have a canon 7D great pro camera look at the difference with Nikon compared to canon and realise how commercial Nikon are compared to canon
Depends on what you're budget is, but as for 2nd hand prices, there is one in the classifieds on here for £85. So might be worth a wait til you can access the classifieds and then look for one on here ...
d

If you are referring to the VC USD Tamron there has been a recent thread on here. If you look for it you will find the comments are very positive. I have one and it is an excellent lens.

Best bang for your bucks available in my opinion.
+1 for the VC USD being best bang for the buck. I have one as well and the VC is insanely good, sometimes too good that if you are panning to track a subject it sticks a little bit. Image quality wise its much better than the canon 75-300 (non is non usm) I had before, especially towards the long end

Ah so PF = CA (chromic aberration).

Yes, but to be clear, purple fringing is axial CA and can appear anywhere in the image, as opposed to lateral CA (usually red/green) that is always more prominent around the edges.

The de-fringe tools in LightRoom are good at removing both types.

Back