Tamron Lens - Some questions

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Tamron Aspherical SP AF 35-105mm f2.8 lens which I use with a Nikon D200.

First slight issue I have with it is that this lens doesn't focus lock. If I half press the shutter button to focus and keep it depressed, then move to a new point the camera re-focuses on that new point, but it ONLY does it with this lens. All my other lenses are fine. So my question in relation to this is, can this be cured or is it just a problem with older lenses.

Second slight issue with the lens is the zoom is quite loose. When the camera is pointed down, even slightly, the lens extends to full zoom. As far as I can tell there is no zoom lock button on the lens so, my question on this is can it be cured too by sending away for service/recalibration?

If you have the same lens I'd be interested to hear if you have the same problem(s) or whether I've just got a duffer.

The lens itself is pin sharp though so I've very reluctant to get rid of it, but of the two issues I have, I find the focus lock one the most irritating.

I don't have that lens so this may be of no help, you are set to AF-S and not AF-C?

Also if you are set to AF-S and it's still doing it then have you the option to set up AF-on to another button like AE-L/AF-L button if your camera has it, giving you back button focus control over the lens, you would use AF-C with this option.

edit, just googled D200, it seems you have a dedicated button if you want to use it for AF-ON

Last edited:
So, I've tried both AF-S and AF-C and neither make any difference. Also, back button focusing doesn't stop it refocusing itself either. I guess it's just because it's an older lens.

Thanks for your help though.

Well, I do not have that lens either, but regarding the lens creeping you could try one of those rubber/silicon bands which goes around the zoomring. I have that for my 24-105mm and it works. As for canon there is a little screw underneath the rubber zoom ring. According to many reports you just have to tighten that ring a bit and it should be fixed. Maybe there is something similar to that for the Tamron?

Thank you for the info. I'll investigate the lens over the weekend and see what I can find.

Back