Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD any good

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX which is only weeks old but have a chance of buying the Tamron for what I think is a good price.

Would the Tamron be much improvement, if any, apart from the extra 100mm in focal length?

Ta for any tips/advice.

P.S. I use a Nikon D7000.

PPS @minnnt - do you have any experience?

Last edited:
I believe it is a good lens for the money.
I hope so, as I'm picking up a used one tomorrow, to be used on my 7000

I made exactly this upgrade and it will transform your results! :) I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Last edited:
I made exactly this upgrade and it will transform your results! :) I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Good to hear so my shots will make me look like I am a PRO :eek:

I use one with both the Canon 6D and 7D. It replaced my Canon 70-300L which was a lot heavier and too conspicuous (white) to carry around all of the time. IQ is pretty close to tha L, although there is more vignetting on FF and AF is not quite as fast. The VC is excellent, and build is fine for the price. 70-200 is very sharp, but things do soften from there to 300mm.

Last edited:
It's a cracking lens I bought one 2 years ago to replace my 55-250 and it is a sharp lens that can take a beating. Mine has been put through it's paces, holidays , sand etc and it withstand quite a bit of abuse if I'm honest and the images, well I would say 100% sharper than the canon 55-250 IS

Dont want to go off topic but has any one tried it on the Nikon 1 series,its a lens i fancy for my D7100 but would like dual use from it.

Well based on all your recommendations I ordered one and due today so now really looking forward to having a go with it.

Makes two Tamron lenses in two weeks bought a 90mm macro last week- an older version with no VC but still I do like it.

So thanks all for your advice/replies (y)

Last edited:
Dont want to go off topic but has any one tried it on the Nikon 1 series,its a lens i fancy for my D7100 but would like dual use from it.

I bet @Nod would know?

Lens arrived at 9.30 this morning but I had to go out.

Back but raining - first impressions are it's heavy but I was expecting that - took a few shots in the house but I really need to get outside ASAP :)

I think it's a lovely weight can't stand light weight lenses they feel cheap and.nasty and normally are :-D

Back