Tanzanian Cats

I have not shot much wildlife previously so any CC is more than welcome.

I have not shot much wildlife previously so any CC is more than welcome.
Nice pis. Some of them seem the exposure is just not quite right. Some (first picture) maybe the highlights are blown a little. Sharpness might be an issue with a few but not sure if that's because of the 1024 limit on the forum.
A few they seem a tad dark...

Kepp at it..

I guess my main comment regards something not entirely within your control - light!

Most look to have been shot in less than ideal light - I believe it really helps conventional (IE not back-lit etc) animal photos for the eyes the be bright.

Speak to your guide / driver and see if it is possible to position the vehicle (I assume this is not a walking safari?) to better help with this.

I assume you are out before dawn....it really helps if you can catch animals in the first hour or so after sunrise.... similarly at the end of the day, try to catch your subjects in the gentler light as the sun sets.

Something I experimented with in Zambia last year was using a touch of fill flash when we couldn't do anything about the light and I was pleased with some of the results ****IMPORTANT - YOU MUST ASK YOUR GUIDE AND ANYONE ELSE IN THE VEHICLE EACH AND EVERY TIME BEFORE USING FLASH TO TAKE A PHOTO****

Hope this helps a little, but in any case, make sure you take time to enjoy the beauty of the African bush.

"Excellent" set of wildlife style captures Jas, liking all of these very much.

Nice pis. Some of them seem the exposure is just not quite right. Some (first picture) maybe the highlights are blown a little. Sharpness might be an issue with a few but not sure if that's because of the 1024 limit on the forum.
A few they seem a tad dark...

Kepp at it..
Thank you for your thoughts. I am sure the 1024 is playing its part. These have no processing and are straight from JPG small out the camera. I have the Raws to process when I get home. I just thought whilst I was still out here advice is always helpful.

I guess my main comment regards something not entirely within your control - light!

Most look to have been shot in less than ideal light - I believe it really helps conventional (IE not back-lit etc) animal photos for the eyes the be bright.

Speak to your guide / driver and see if it is possible to position the vehicle (I assume this is not a walking safari?) to better help with this.

I assume you are out before dawn....it really helps if you can catch animals in the first hour or so after sunrise.... similarly at the end of the day, try to catch your subjects in the gentler light as the sun sets.

Something I experimented with in Zambia last year was using a touch of fill flash when we couldn't do anything about the light and I was pleased with some of the results ****IMPORTANT - YOU MUST ASK YOUR GUIDE AND ANYONE ELSE IN THE VEHICLE EACH AND EVERY TIME BEFORE USING FLASH TO TAKE A PHOTO****

Hope this helps a little, but in any case, make sure you take time to enjoy the beauty of the African bush.
Thank you, we are in the Serengeti so you have to stick to the roads (tracks). My time was limited and it was a vacation rather than a photographic trip.

All of these were shot with a 100-400, mostly at its limit so effectively at 600mm on the little z50 so I don’t think fill flash would have provided anything in this case.

I will take onboard your advice for future visits especially the early starts and late finishes. Thank you

Thank you for your thoughts. I am sure the 1024 is playing its part. These have no processing and are straight from JPG small out the camera. I have the Raws to process when I get home. I just thought whilst I was still out here advice is always helpful.
Ah so you really haven't done any editing to speak of just .jpegs SOOC. Be in]interested to see the images after you have a chance to do some editing. (y)

And, I'm new here but that 1024/500KB limit is really problematic. The site management, however isn't open to increasing it since they say server costs would go up. :crying:

It is, of course, possible to upload larger files to Flickr (or similar) so people can click through the smaller image suitable for posting here if they want to see a larger version.

Back