Teleconverter

Edit My Images
No
hi,

I am looking into buying a canon 2x converter.
have done a bit of research online and the feedback has been towards the negative side.
I ant to use it with my canon 70-200 f4 lens.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

What camera are you using? That lens and extender combination would not be able to autofocus unless you are using a high-end body: 1D series, 5D III, 5D IV, 5Ds, 5Ds R, 7D II, 80D.

Last edited:
1D? 5D? Although either of those are reputed to AF at f/8. Best bet would be to take your body and lens to a shop and try it before handing your card over. Or order it from an online retailer and return it if it doesn't work.

OK, so it will autofocus, so long as your camera firmware is v1.2.1 or later. It will only use a relatively small number of autofocus points, however; this may or may not be restrictive for you, depending on how you use the camera.

The other potential issue is image quality. Images will be degraded when you use a 2x Extender. How much depends on what type of Extender, and whether the results are "acceptable" is highly subjective. If you use a Canon Mk III Extender, the image quality should be better than you would achieve by cropping and magnifying the image, but I don't know how much better.

Bought one for my 100 -400 and regretted it, bought the 1.4 for my 70 -200 2.8 the latest one and rarely use it as I find it's better to crop the image.Save your money IMHO.I use 7d mkii and 5d mk111.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back