Teleconverters

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
I have never considered one of these before or if i even really need it,but now toying with the idea.
It is for a canon 70mm-200mm F4 IS L lens,i don,t know a lot about converters,but i have read some good & bad reports on them.
I know 1x2 doubles the lens reach & 1x4 is a bit less,but what is the best type to go for if i do decide to go down that route.
I suppose canon ones would be the best to go for & i think i am right in saying it would make the lens F8,do you still get full AF with it though.
Any & all advice would be much appreciated.:):D

Hi jockwav,
I have the Canon 2X Extender Mk2 that i use on the 70-200 f/2.8 is mk1, and it gives great shots, slightly soft at the edges, but if you stop it down 1 stop,this crisps up. I have used this extender when i had the f4 version of the lens, but found it too restrictive stop wise, and was dark to focus, so depending on the focal length reach that you need to get to, it might be better that you looked at the 1.4x extender.

I also have the Canon 70-200L IS F4 and I recently purchased a Canon 2X Extender Mk3. I am absolutely delighted with the quality of the photos I am getting using this combination. I do not believe there is any image degradation at all when using this extender.

The one caveat I would add is that when using a 2X Extender you lose two stops. So an F4 becomes an F8 lens. Not all Canon bodies will autofocus below F5.6 so unless you have something like a 5D mark 3 or better you would need to use manual focus. A 1.4 Extender loses you only 1 stop so the F4 becomes F5.6 and should work with all Canon bodies.

I would add that I believe that only two makes of Extenders would fit your lens. The Canon and the Kenko. I would strongly suggest you do not buy a Kenko if you want quality images.

Last edited:
Hi jockwav,
I have the Canon 2X Extender Mk2 that i use on the 70-200 f/2.8 is mk1, and it gives great shots, slightly soft at the edges, but if you stop it down 1 stop,this crisps up. I have used this extender when i had the f4 version of the lens, but found it too restrictive stop wise, and was dark to focus, so depending on the focal length reach that you need to get to, it might be better that you looked at the 1.4x extender.
Cheers for that,might look at the 1.4x:)

I also have the Canon 70-200L IS F4 and I recently purchased a Canon 2X Extender Mk3. I am absolutely delighted with the quality of the photos I am getting using this combination. I do not believe there is any image degradation at all when using this extender.

The one caveat I would add is that when using a 2X Extender you lose two stops. So an F4 becomes an F8 lens. Not all Canon bodies will autofocus below F5.6 so unless you have something like a 5D mark 3 or better you would need to use manual focus. A 1.4 Extender loses you only 1 stop so the F4 becomes F5.6 and should work with all Canon bodies.

I would add that I believe that only two makes of Extenders would fit your lens. The Canon and the Kenko. I would strongly suggest you do not buy a Kenko if you want quality images.
Thanks for posting this,i have the canon 6d,so don,t know about the autofocus side of things.:)

I have the kenko 1.4 converter as i tried the canon on my 70d with my 70-200f4 l and it wouldn`t focus it`s a useful tool but mine is now sat on the shelf ,

I have the kenko 1.4 converter as i tried the canon on my 70d with my 70-200f4 l and it wouldn`t focus it`s a useful tool but mine is now sat on the shelf ,
Cheers for that.:)

Just to make it clear it was the canon versions that wouldn`t work the kenko was fine

The problem is i can,t find a definate answer if it will work with the canon 6D:)

Both the Canon and Kenko 1.4x converters will work with your 70-200 f4 on your 6D (don't know why rufdog had trouble),apperture will be f 5.6 with that lens,if you use a 2x apperture will be f8 and may not autofocus although with the Kenko it may do in good light,see if you can borrow one and test it.

Both the Canon and Kenko 1.4x converters will work with your 70-200 f4 on your 6D (don't know why rufdog had trouble),apperture will be f 5.6 with that lens,if you use a 2x apperture will be f8 and may not autofocus although with the Kenko it may do in good light,see if you can borrow one and test it.
Thanks for posting that,so now i just have to make up my mind if i see a bargain kicking about.:):clap:

If you go Kenko make sure its the pro 300 DGX or the new HD DGX,I got mine off Ebay as I did with my Canon 1.4x mkii.
Cheers for that.:):D

If it's of any use to you, I have a Kenko 1.4x 300 DGX teleplus pro which I haven't used so it's as new. I can't post items for sale on here yet as I haven't made enough posts.
Not too sure if or how we could sort this but if you were interested I'm sure a deal could be sorted somehow.
If I've broken the rules I apologise but just trying to help out.

Sorry but i am afraid there is no way you can do any deals at the moment due to the rules,also using PM is not allowed either,but keep me in mind for later i am in no hurry to purchase.:):D

Yes I'll do that and thanks for the advice. I'm new here and didn't want to break rules or cause any problems.
Catch up in the near future.

Get your count up,contribute & comment on posters photos,just get involved it will soon climb,as i say not in a hurry to purchase so i can hang on.:):D

I have never considered one of these before or if i even really need it,but now toying with the idea.
It is for a canon 70mm-200mm F4 IS L lens,i don,t know a lot about converters,but i have read some good & bad reports on them.
I know 1x2 doubles the lens reach & 1x4 is a bit less,but what is the best type to go for if i do decide to go down that route.
I suppose canon ones would be the best to go for & i think i am right in saying it would make the lens F8,do you still get full AF with it though.
Any & all advice would be much appreciated.:):D

Hi James

I've used a Canon 1.4TC on my old 70-200F4 with no problem, was pleased with the results and didn't really notice any degradation of image and AF was still very acceptable to me.

I was using the mkIII TC - which is an improvement over the previous versions and certainly one I'd recommend...Personally, not tried the 2xTC, but do read a lot of reports that you do loose quite a bit with it ...

Cheers for that andy,i have researched on the 1.2x & they are not really recommended,so it,s a choise of a secondhand canon 1.4x or a new Kenko 1.4x,watching the funds at the moment but looking.:):D

I had a Kenko one and it was spot on.
Thanks for that,i think that helps confirm it for me,just have to wait a bit now.:):D

Cheers for that andy.....so it,s a choise of a secondhand canon 1.4x or a new Kenko 1.4x,watching the funds at the moment but looking.:):D

Personally, I'd opt for the mk3 version of Canons 1.4TC - even if it means waiting a little while to save up / see if a 2nd hand one pops up.

Could be worth popping a wanted add up here - you might strike lucky.

Will see how the funds go.:):D

Back