Tell me what you think please

Hi Matt,

These are only a few images that may go into the calender, my mate has done the processing and I just want some feedback on the PP :)

If I do the Calendar then there will be 12 different and unique images :)

Thanks.

Hi Matt,

These are only a few images that may go into the calender, my mate has done the processing and I just want some feedback on the PP :)

If I do the Calendar then there will be 12 different and unique images :)

Thanks.

I dont like the PP on the images because its HDR. Alot of noise in some of the skys. But TBH I hate HDR with a passion, 90% of the time they look unlike a photograph should be. But thats just my opinion.

Image quaity doesnt look good enough to print, looks very grainy.

The images are only low res ones :bonk: The original images are fine printed out to A3+ (y)

honestly i think the pp isn't nice and the shots aren't strong enough for a calendar

if you love boats/the clipper maybe but theres just not enough variety and i'm not sure you'd have a market there to make it worth selling these?

There is a market to friends and family plus a few local businesses have already ordered a couple of canvas's :) I just want to know about the effect that my mate has applied as I am not sure about it... personally I like it on the lifeboat ones but unsure on the clipper ones except the B&W one.

honestly and not trying to sound like an ******** i think the pp looks cheap and tacky

however depends what your target market thinks...for instance selective colour is still popular with weddings but makes me want to hurl :)

Cheers Alex, as I say I am unsure on the PP. I like photos to be photos without too much PP. The ones I have already sold are pure photos with NO PP :)

PP looks very poor, its giving the images a feel of being muted and drab, they need some life in them, black and white doesnt suit them one little bit.

Why do they look so grainy, ? when you reduce the size of an image you also reduce the perceived effect of grain.

Overall find someone with a better eye for PP to give a final image that will suit a calender, and more varied shots too many the same.

Cheers Mark :)

Check out this link to some more photos:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=165158

what do you think mate?

I feel these are better done, but no.5 is OOF so i wouldnt include that one, they just need a bit of a lift to get a bit of colour into the boats, sails, without making the sky and water look too artificial.

The life boat one has nice colour and with the lighthouse in the background gives it a nice perspective. Also the last image has a nice look to its framing.

Hope this is of some help, I hope i don't sound too negative but if your selling them, you need to get them to really ' pop ' to use a phrase.

Cheers Bud! I prefer the normal photos rather than the ones with the PP added by my mate... it is sometimes worth experimenting and sometimes not! No.5 is a crop and is slightly oof but when you are hanging onto a back of a pilot launch doing 24 knots it is not too easy lol!

Thanks for your comments... back to Photoshop and to find that extra something to make em POP! :) I need better Photoshop skills lol!

I took loads of pictures of the Clipper start from Liverpool back September 2005 so I know that it not an easy assignment.

That said, it has been my experience that sailor-type people, want to see the boat and it's identifying features clearly and the pictures so far, tend to only show Hull & Humber in an identifiable way - hopefully you have all the boats in as much detail.

Also, the majority of people you are targeting will want clean, crisp and bright shots, preferably with the boats well heeled over and lots of nice splashy stuff to show how 'Ocean Racing' they are. Also, pictures with people in them seemed popular.

Ralph_050918_0162.jpg

One of your shots did remind me of something :)

Ralph_050918_0285.jpg

My Son-in-Law did the legs from England to Australia in the 'Victoria' a couple of races back and his comments at and after the time is what I base my thoughts upon.

Anthony.

Cheers Anthony... the problem I had was that the boat I was on... a Humber Pilot Launch had to keep a certain distance a head of the fleet so I was forever shooting at the 300mm end and at that range it is very hard to hand hold and even harder to get close to the yachts because of the race exclusion zone! Even though I was doing it for the Clipper Ventures I could not get that up close and personal :( But you are spot on with your thoughts and I do have each yacht close up before the race started and a few cracking ones as the race progressed down the Humber! But I had to obey to the Pilot of the launch's wishes too.

Should of took my 400mm f/2.8 and my second body BUT I did not want to get it soaked or damaged :) It was enough getting my IDMK3 soaked 4 times lol!

Thanks.

PS. By the way, they are 2 nice images above :)

I notice you are involved with the RNLI. My Son-in-Law (the one who did the trip mentioned in the previous post) does regular night-time shifts on the Thames RNLI boats based in Chiswick. He recently obtained his helmsman's qualification so is a pretty committed RNLI man.

Anthony.

One small thing - all the images should be the same way up - you can't mix portrait and landsape on a calendar.

Neil

Back