a few quick shots from when we were out walking
comments and critique please =)
thanks

facebook36.jpg

facebook39.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

Hi Kate,

Right, Ill be totally honest here... you might not like it:

Number 1 - Due to a lack of catchlights in her eyes, this is actually quite scary, as her eye sockets just look like holes in her head. It could do with being a bit brighter as well.

Number 2 - You have totally missed the focus point, and have ended up focusing on the person at the back and his walking stick, and so, the two girls are out of focus.

Number 3 - Again, the boys are out of focus here, which is a shame because it is a lovely capture.

Hope that wasnt too harsh, its just what came straight to mind :)

I'm in agreement here with Dee's comments. But they all show promise.

A little play with the different focus point settings on your camera may help you out with the focus issues highlighted.

On the whole I'm afraid I agree with Betty, although she must scare easily ;).

I presume that you are using the centre focus point of your AF system, which is fine if you focus then re-compose the shot, but this is not best for walking subjects. If they are particularly slow then you can always select an appropriate focus sensor in AF-S mode but you are more likely going to benefit from using AF-C mode and dynamic AF or closest subject for the AF sensors. Not sure how that translates from Nikon to Sony sorry. (or 'Song' as your details show ;))

Edit:
Must type faster... Rob and I obviously agree

Last edited:
I know number 2 is out of focus.. but I still really like it... in a strange way, i think it works :)

Betty & v8burble have made some good points, I think what's happened is your camera is focussing around the midpoint of the scene, therefore missing the subjects in 2 & 3, overcoming this will come with practice and getting to know your camera.

Just as important in photography is knowing what to leave out of the shot alongside what to include, so at some point you will need to consider your backgrounds, for example (#2) you have a cut in a figure in half and a dog way out in the corner, which distracts.

Don't worry, get out there and keep shooting, it will come good , we've all gone through this learning phase :)

Back