Non UK Tenerife?

To anyone going there I strongly suggest staying away from AutoReissen and ideally from easyjet package holidays (flights were absolutely fine - very smooth and relaxed).

I'll survive with the hotel but the car is oh my god - the deathtrap would be an understatement. I refused fabia because suspension was completely f***ed then the gave me an old Citoroen people carrier. Oh my life it is f***ed in every possible way. If I can make it back to airport I need it changed or I can start walking to Teide from the coast.

Puerto de Santiago - the "Mousehole" view

The coast is surprisingly Cornwall like with a little more volcanic character. No sand to be seen for miles...

and this is the deathtrap I am somehow supposed to drive. I really fear that thing. The handling is worse than a lorry, all kind of odd noises and distinct lack of power or brake response.

I feel bad for recommending Autoreisen now! In saying that I used them earlier this year and we got a 6 month old Citroen with only 7k miles on the clock that was like new. Need to get something booked for January, not sure what to do now.

Yesterday evening I managed to go up towards teide. It has a little bit of snow and feels pretty cold. I am not sure I got the perfect images last night. I need to find a good place overlooking the cloud covered shores for the sunset.

By the way - where would I look for quiet sandy beaches for sunrise/set - like no people, remote locations - a bit like Vai beach in Crete?

I feel bad for recommending Autoreisen now! In saying that I used them earlier this year and we got a 6 month old Citroen with only 7k miles on the clock that was like new. Need to get something booked for January, not sure what to do now.

Don't worry about it, but yes they are the cheapest for a good reason. If you don't mind an old worn out banger you can save a little bit (mine's nearly 90k km and has spanners displayed prominently on the dashboard). There is a weird metallic noise coming from exhaust or gearbox when in low gear and on low revs, and lots of little scratches and scrapes all round the body. I just hope they won't try to put all the blame on me.

If your spanish is any good you might be able to work out where some of these were shot. Some of them were along the south coast near the airport.

http://www.raicorosenberg.com/

Oh wow, these are fantastic images. I'll be glad to have one or two of like this from this trip.

This evening I drove to Masca. It was great. I think I had the first good sunset pic. I'll have a go at processing and hopefully it will work out. The driving is a bit hairy mainly because they send huge coaches down that very narrow and steep road. The old dog Citroen coped OK, no real drama and fear of death but a lot of burning smell and pre-breakdown rattles. I am just thinking if I shall go back and hike down the beach or use my time elsewhere. I am pretty sure an early morning shoot is worthwhile regardless if I venture down that hill.

edit: I think I have no excuse not to get a great golden hour and sunset at Los Gigantes. I am only 20min walk away.

Last edited:
Well it is nearly time to go back to the grim and cold North. Overall I had fun time and it was nice weather. Teide is very much covered by snow now so it wasn't really possible to go very far up, but maybe next time.

I still have most of tomorrow so maybe will go either to the east or to Loro park (midday isn't too good for epic landscapes).

I have to admit driving is a bit of a headache, and not because of steep roads or even other drivers (except an odd pick up doing 20kph). Speed limits are very much a guesswork once you leave the motorway. They say it's 90kph in non urban areas - does it mean once you drive past the sign indicating that the town area is over (crossed town name). Also do signposted speed limits 'expire' after a crossroad, etc as they do in some countries. Just trying to make some sense of it and possibly way too late at that. Hopefully all will end up well.

The car is now sounding like a bag of cans being tossed around on the road. I am really very concerned I don't get charged for some mysterious damage, obviously originating from previous hires. I don't know if I take it back and don't say anything and pretend all was well, or tell them that it is exactly as bad as the day the gave it to me.

Back