Tesco Hudl

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
In the UK we have n iPad type device for sale by a major retail chain called the Hudl sold by Tesco. :jaffa:

Has anybody got one or used one?

I was curious as to how they perform especially at £119.00 :)

Bought one when they first appeared, got mine for 60 quids worth of clubcard vouchers

Really pleased with it and haven't found anything important to complain about at all, can't comment on the camera because I have never used it

Can make a direct comparison with my daughter's Nexus 7 which is very similar in specification, Nexus is lighter and more pleasing on the eye, screen is a bit sharper too.

Hudl battery lasts longer and charges faster plus has the addition of a mini HDMI socket which is handy to hook it up to a TV. Do find the screen needs cleaning fairly regularly to clear off fingerprints, not exactly a big chore though

All in all can't fault it and even better if the clubcard deal is still on, worth checking on that

Last edited:
Sounds good, I was thinking would the display do justice to photographs that you would put on the Hudl? The spec says it is HD, how good is it?

Would I need to resize? I expect so :help:

I think they have a Micro SD expandable memory - I wonder if you have one, if you put some photos on one and pop to your local store and have a word with them and see if you can pop your card in and view your photos - not sure if they'll allow you or it'll work, but could be worth a try...

I'm sure Rich will be able to say how you can easily get your photos on there...

Display is fine and shows off your photos quite nicely, small screens usually do not unlike the camera lcd

Yes they do take a micro sd card up to 32gb and dead easy copying photos and music over, just as easy when connecting straight to something like a laptop.
Bought an app for a couple of quid (nexus media importer) and OTG lead (micro usb to female usb) so you can plug a card reader in and copy direct from that. Very handy if you go away from home and use it as a back up device plus I use CF cards so SD isn't much use for me out and about.

Another app, free this time lets you view RAW, also got the Ephemeris app although again that has to be bought unlike the pc version.

Also bought some software (DVD Catalyst, about 7 quid) to convert DVD's so they can be watched on the Hudl, screen is excellent for viewing, sound is pretty good too for such a small device even without headphones.
Lots of free converters, but they are full of ads and slow, this one is excellent, quick and so easy to use.

I was a bit sceptical when I first saw the Hudl and especially how cheap it was, but have been very pleasantly surprised. Even came with some Tesco vouchers, one gave £15 off an online shop, so that in effect paid for all the little add ons I bought

Last edited:
Personally I would go for the Nexus. The price has come down recently, check out Amazon as I have seen some for £150. At the end of the day with any technology it comes down to your preference and budget.

Nexus is the next best thing after the iPad but for the price Hudl is a good little device. Have a look at the link below. It might help you make up your mind.

http://www.t3.com/features/best-cheap-tablet

Personally think ignoring the price that the SD card slot and the HDMI connectivity give it the edge over the Nexus for versatility. As I mentioned I can make a direct comparison and think the Hudl pros outweigh the cons between the two

Factor cost in and it can't be beaten, just checked and it can still be got for 60 quids worth of clubcard vouchers so if you have any that is a real bargain

we returned a hudl due to it being horribly laggy.. 2 of my kids have Kobo Arc 7s which seem very good, the 3rd kid has a HP Slate 7 which again very good but the standout cheapo tablet is the wifes Nook HD 7, screen is beautiful and it was pretty quick as stock but then I rooted it(its the easiet tab to root, takes 5 mins when files are on sd card) and installed CFW and boy does that tablet work, absolutely stunning. both the Nook HD 7 and HP Slate 7 cost £60 from Argos eBay refurb(both were as new as new)

I have an iPad Mini and a Samsung Tab3 8", if the Tab3 8" were to break I would have no problem replacing it with a Nook HD 7

If you can't afford a Nexus 10 or 7 (both excellent performers in their size class) Assuming you want android then the Tesco Hudl is the very best of the cheap tablets. It offers astounding value for money. Don't even think of getting the £50 - £80 Ebay ones, you'll be grievously disappointed. We've had several for our little girl and they're frankly only good for binning.

Summary: Get a Nexus 7 (or 10) if you can afford it, else get the Hudl

Good luck :)

The hudl is excellent. Robust, well made and good performance. Also has micro HDMI for output to bigger screen.

Also consider the Dell Venue Pro 8 though. Full windows tablet for around £200 with (non wacom) digitiser support. I'm planning on getting one as a companion device for lightroom whilst on holiday.

I agree with David (I also have the 8gb Nook HD 7) and it's excellent - at around £50 new it was less than half the price of the Hudl.

You can still get the 16gb version at Argos, Isme, Very etc for under £100 and often 10% / £10 /£20 off the latter 2 places with code. Or £74.99 for a refurbished Nook HD 7 with a 12 Month Argos Warranty on Argos ebay outlet.

Very/Isme also have the Nook HD+ 9 inch tablet for £129 so with the 10% off code on their site (439CT) you can get a 9 inch tablet for around the same price as the 7 inch Hudl. The Nook HD 7 has an almost identical screen resolution to the Hudl but the Nook HD+ 9 has an even better screen, which would be my priority if you wanted it for viewing photos. No camera on a Nook but I never use a tablet or phone camera anyway...

(Nook HD 7: 1,440 x 900 pixels, 243 pixels per inch. (iPad mini: 1024 X 768, 163ppi; Nexus 7: 1,920 x 1,200, 216ppi and the Kindle Fire HD 1,280 x 800, 216ppi, Hudl: 1,400 x 900, 242 ppi). Nook HD+ 9: 1,080p display of 1,920 x 1,280 pixels, 256 pixels per inch.)

Last edited:
We have 2x Hudl & Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I love my Samsung, great size & screen and I use it daily online, videos etc (using it to type this!) for the price though the Hudl are very good. My kids are 5&7 and are tough on things and they're holding up well!

[quote="Ferj the Hudl are very good. My kids are 5&7 and are tough on things and they're holding up well![/quote]

If 5 & 7 year olds can manage one I should be ok :D

Great feedback guys, thanks (y)

Seem decent enough for the price but they are worlds apart from the latest galaxy tabpro or the ipad but then they are world cheaper so you get what you pay for.

My other halfs little cousins had one each for Christmas and they were perfect for them but working in IT and being a geek, they were far too slow compared to my ipad and the screen would not be good enough for me.

I have replaced an Asus tablet (new late 2013) with a Hudl; this was due to the very poor Asus battery life.
Hudl is good value, build quality above price, well packed and connects up easily.
Has a good selection of connectivity and the screen displays nicely.
For the price and quality you cannot go wrong in my eyes.

I got one for free (well, in exchange for a load of Tesco vouchers). I thought it would be a good opportunity to check out Android. I used it for a week, stuck it in a draw and went back to my iPad.

I love my nook HD+ the screen is lush for media content and with vanilla jelly bean installed it is certainly no slouch.
I paid £60 for mine 2nd hand on ebay with a nice nook folio case included.

Sounds good, I was thinking would the display do justice to photographs that you would put on the Hudl? The spec says it is HD, how good is it?

Would I need to resize? I expect so :help:

7" is far too small to do justice to your photos. 10" is actually still too small.

I bought a Hudl and from day 1 the LH side of the screen was occasionally unresponsive, cured by putting it to sleep and then re-awakening. I took it back and they replaced it with no fuss. The replacement has been fine, does all I want and more.

Back