Thames Barrier

Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by a shot I saw in the Landscape Photographer of the Year exhibition I dragged the kids down to the Thames Barrier yesterday. We firtuitously got there in time for sunset though it wasn't a great one. The first shot is with an old MF Jupiter 135mm on my Fuji XP1, the second with a Fuji 35mm on the XP1. Comments welcome, as always, as this is a place I will go back to again (without the kids and with a tripod and filters).

Thames Barrier
by ianvecchi, on Flickr

1401_Barrier_038-Edit-Edit
by ianvecchi, on Flickr

That's a fairly convincing brace of pictures.

For my taste, they're both cropped a little tight. I'd prefer a little more space to the left of #1 especially; the Citi tower is too close up against the edge of the frame for comfort.

Was the vignette on both added in PP? I could understand the Jupiter behaving like that, but it feels a little odd with the square crop from the Fuji 35mm.

For my taste, they're both cropped a little tight. I'd prefer a little more space to the left of #1 especially; the Citi tower is too close up against the edge of the frame for comfort.

Was the vignette on both added in PP? I could understand the Jupiter behaving like that, but it feels a little odd with the square crop from the Fuji 35mm.

I hadn't thought too much about the tightness of the crop but now you mention it, you have a good point. I've another shot with a little more space to the left of the Citi tower but then some street lights creep in. I am trying to remember where I was when I took the shot. If I remember correctly, I could easily take a step or two back to give some more space. I'll try this next time.

The vignette in both was added in PP. The Jupiter is pretty good as far as I can tell in this regard and the Fuji is excellent. Without the burning in of the edges I felt my eye tended to drift out of frame in the second shot. I quite like adding a vignette but they are not to everyone's taste I know.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Good scenes. Shame about some of the blown skies in two, but you had to get the exposure right on the building

Thanks for the comments Steve. Nothing blown in the skies though. It is just uniform grey so there is no detail to recover but if anything I had to stretch the dynamic range, the light was so flat. I took three shots in that sequence to try some HDR but the standard exposure metered off the structure was fine.

A couple of very nice shots, I'm pleased to see you're getting results with the Jupiter. I'm stillnwaiting on my adapters arriving.

Back