Thank you - "Help! Buying my first SLR"

SarahLee

TPer Emerita
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
As the title says really.
I'm looking to upgrade my bridge camera to a DSLR - it's my birthday in a few weeks and guess what hubby has said he'll buy me?

I'm sure that you gets loads of questions like this, but if anyone can spare the time / patience to advise me I will be forever indebted to you (or at least until I want another upgrade)
I've done a bit of research myself, but quite honestly a lot of the technical stuff goes way over my head.
I'm looking to spend around the £600 mark and am currently leaning towards the Canon 500D with 18-55mm lens which I can currently pick up at this sort of price.
Just to give me some idea of the spec, I've compared features to the 450D and 40D.

These are my initial thoughts / questions :

1) The biggest advantage that I can see with the 500D is that it seems to have a bigger sensor. 22.3mm x 14.9mm compared to 22.2 x 14.8 on the 450D and 40D. What does this actually mean in practical terms? Does that 1 x 1mm actually make ant discernible difference?

2) It also seems to have more effective pixels than the other 2. Again what does this actually mean in terms of picture quality? Is there a noticeable difference?

3) The image processor on the 500D is a DIGIC4, compared to the DIGIC III on the 40D and 450D . . . absolutely clueless on that one :shrug:

4) The only drawbacks that I can see compared to the D40 is that it doesn't have the same continuous shooting speed and max shutter speed is 1/4000 sec compared to 1/8000. I can't see that making much difference to what I want to use it for.

5) Lenses. This all totally confuses me :thinking:
I'm quite happy with the general lens that comes with it for now, but looking more long term I will be looking for a macro lens for Christmas and will probably add more as I go along.
Are there a good number of lenses compatible with this camera? Will I need to buy adaptors etc in order to use them?

6) In your opinions, is this a big enough step up from my bridge camera that I will actually get some benefit out of it?

Any help / opinions (even if it's on something I've not asked) is really appreciated.
I will potentially be ordering this, this evening while I can get it at that price, so if anyone wants to shout "Stop! don't buy that one!" please do it now.

Thank you for reading.

Hi,

Try not to get to confused by how many pixels etc that the 40D, 450D and 500D have.

the 40D is a more advanced amature/semi pro camera due to the construction etc so it's a bigger heavier camera... so they can handle a bit more use and abuse etc.

The 450, 500D are more consumer cameras, not as heavy and big. Still good though.

For a starter a 450/500D would be good, if you can go for a 40D then even better but I would recomend going to Jessops or somthing to handle them first.

have a look at a website called dpreview, they have lots of info and smaple shots of pretty much all DSLRS.

As far as lenses go a kit lens is fine to start with.

I had a 350D then moved to a 30D, same resolution but very differnt build and feel!

Thanks Gaz.

I'm having a look at that site now.
I would love a 40D, but I fear that it may just be outside of my price range. Is the most significant difference just in build and weight then or is there a significant difference in performance?

There didn't seem to be a huge difference in technical spec, but as I said most of that is totally beyond me :D

I always felt the 350D was a bit small for my hands, the 30D is spot on. So it's always worth having a go first.

And thank you to the other two who posted while I was typing!

I have had a wander around some shops and handled a few different cameras - there's just such a bewildering array (for a newbie like me anyway) that they all seemed to merge into one in the end :D

But at least I have somewhere to start now.

To be honest to start with getting a 450D would be fine, you can always upgrade at a later date.

Might be worth checking ebay out and getting a used one. My 350D (older version of 450D) and 30D were second hand and never had a problem.

check out this review sue http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/ but as gaz says try them out first

Thanks, I'm browsing that site now. There's just so much to choose from !

Stop worrying about comparing specifications and go and hold some cameras. You might change your mind when it is in your hand.

Have a read here is you have not already -

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=82464

Thank you Robert (and extra thanks for actually writing it!)
I did have a read of that first and it was very helpful.

To be honest to start with getting a 450D would be fine, you can always upgrade at a later date.

That's what worries me. I've had my bridge camera for less than a year. I really don't want to be upgrading again in another 9 months. I'm looking for something that will last a while this time (at least a few years).

On the other hand.
It's also interesting that you mention the smaller cameras being too small for your hands. I have ridiculously small hands - had to get my engagement ring pre-made to a child's size.
Although the bigger cameras may feel fine in the shop I'm wondering whether with a lot of use I might start to struggle.

On the other hand.
It's also interesting that you mention the smaller cameras being too small for your hands. I have ridiculously small hands - had to get my engagement ring pre-made to a child's size.
Although the bigger cameras may feel fine in the shop I'm wondering whether with a lot of use I might start to struggle.

Try the Nikon D60. It's a tiny, lightweight dSLR which people buy for that very reason. Pricewise it's a bit lower than your budget, but by the time you've bought a decent good sized bag, UV filter, spare battery, cleaning brush, lenspen and cloth, your budget will be spent.

Hi there SarahLee,
The only need to upgrade is if you feel you have reached the end of what your camera can do for you, a lot ( no Disrespect to anyone here ) upgrade simply because they can, they have the money and can get the latest gizmo.
Now i always hankered after a DSLR and even though i had not got to the limit of my bridge camera appart from F numbers i made myself a promise to only buy one with money i made from selling on ebay and then i even got my Nikon D50 from ebay as second user.
Appart from having such luxurys as liveview that was on my bridge camera and depth of field preview which i would like other than pixel count it prety much does everything the latest cameras do.
I Do understand you dont want to shell out twice and want a camera that you feel you will keep a good while in fact we all want one we feel we could keep for ever.
For me that is the Nikon D300 and again i said this last year and agian now in a years time ill get one. I have not got to the end of what the Nikon D50 can do for me so in the mean time ive been trying to get some better lenses
That will just transfer over to the D300 when i eventually get it.
Decide if you can from a short list that you are happy with for the feel in the hand and what the features offer you.
Then find What the cheapest price is you can get them for if the one you hanker for the most is a little beyond your price then try waiting or raising the extra money because if you buy the one you are not wanting the most for the sake of a months saving or so you will not enjoy what you have and this can then mean you dont go take those pictures and you dont advance.
Hope thats not to negative.
There are lots of superb cameras out there and its often just the price point thats the main difference. The higher spec stuff may well have metal bodies to take the rough and tumble better, but to be honest we all take such care with our kit that unless photography is you living and you out in the field in harsh surroundings you really dont need the metal body that can still break. Sorry for the length of this but hope it helps. All the best.

As aberal says what feels right is a biggy and lots of members love there D60 also unless the shop models have the batterys in to allow you to try the functions out there is a bit more weight there.
As stated also its the accesorrys that add up also the bag is a prerequisite.

That's what worries me. I've had my bridge camera for less than a year. I really don't want to be upgrading again in another 9 months. I'm looking for something that will last a while this time (at least a few years).

I've had my 450D for a year and while I would like to upgrade the body, good quality lenses make a massive difference to your photos.
Go with the body you feel happy with then over time invest in lenses.
A year down the road you might want to upgrade the body but with a couple of good lenses you'll probably be more than happy to wait a bit longer to upgrade the body.

Try the Nikon D60. It's a tiny, lightweight dSLR which people buy for that very reason. Pricewise it's a bit lower than your budget, but by the time you've bought a decent good sized bag, UV filter, spare battery, cleaning brush, lenspen and cloth, your budget will be spent.

Hmmmm. interesting.
TBH though I'm leaning more towards a Canon. Only because when I've handled them I find the feel, shape of them a bit more comfortable.

Hi there SarahLee,
The only need to upgrade is if you feel you have reached the end of what your camera can do for you, a lot ( no Disrespect to anyone here ) upgrade simply because they can, they have the money and can get the latest gizmo.
Now i always hankered after a DSLR and even though i had not got to the limit of my bridge camera appart from F numbers i made myself a promise to only buy one with money i made from selling on ebay and then i even got my Nikon D50 from ebay as second user.

Thank you James.
I haven't quoted your entire post, but that is my philosophy on upgrades too (y).
The reason I want to move up from my bridge camera is that it just can't do some of the things that I'd like to be able to utilise. Mainly DoF and longer exposure times.

Any disposable income that I have in the future, I would prefer to spend on lenses and accessories rather than a new body which is why I want to get it right.

If something like a 40D really does produce far better quality images then I'd prefer to save up and wait (and put up with the extra weight). If the only difference is build quality then quite honestly I'm not that bothered and would almost prefer a lighter camera.

I've had my 450D for a year and while I would like to upgrade the body, good quality lenses make a massive difference to your photos.
Go with the body you feel happy with then over time invest in lenses.
A year down the road you might want to upgrade the body but with a couple of good lenses you'll probably be more than happy to wait a bit longer to upgrade the body.

That sort of echoes my thoughts from above.
May I ask what your reason for upgrading the body is? Is there really a huge difference from one to another?

Hi Sarah

My daughter also has very small hands for an adult and from her experience might I suggest having a look at a Pentax Km
Curry's sell them (Jessops don't stock Pentax) and they are an ideal first DSLR and especially good for the smaller handed, light as well

My local store had one the other day for £380 with the two kit lenses 18-55 lens and a 50-200

Just another suggestion, hope you get something that suits

Stop worrying about comparing specifications and go and hold some cameras. You might change your mind when it is in your hand.

Sound advice. I decided to buy a entry level dslr myself earlier this year, my shortlist was the Canon 1000D & the Nikon D60. After holding them both, the Canon was the most comfortable in my hand, that sealed it for me & I bought the Canon 1000D.

Hi again SarahLee,

The Higher the spec the better the frame rate tends to be only of real import i feel for the action shot fraternity...
The Higher spec tend to have a better handling of noise and as such have higher iso settings, if your wanting longer exposures then the higher iso is of no import for you.
The thing is the system you choose is very important as you are buying into a system if you then want a diffrent manufacturer you need to change all your lenses, there are a few that work with others systems, The lens is the most important thing as this give you the quality of the image the body just records what the lens feeds it.
Get what feels comfortable but as well as the camera look at what lenses are available for your chosen camera for future purchase.
As Many have said the 50mm lens are cheap as chips and i wouldnt be without mine, although the 35mm i think that is out now for mine would be a more true 50mm on my crop sensor. The Nikon sensor crop is 1.5 x so the 50mm would in 35mm full frame speak be 75mm. The cannon System is 1.6 x crop factor.

Hi Sarah

My daughter also has very small hands for an adult and from her experience might I suggest having a look at a Pentax Km
Curry's sell them (Jessops don't stock Pentax) and they are an ideal first DSLR and especially good for the smaller handed, light as well

My local store had one the other day for £380 with the two kit lenses 18-55 lens and a 50-200

Just another suggestion, hope you get something that suits

Thank you.
I did have a look at those.
Planning for the future though, I seem to have seen a larger number of Canon and Nikon second-hand lenses for sale - and I did find that the Canon was the more comfortable camera which is why I'm sort of going down that route.

Sound advice. I decided to buy a entry level dslr myself earlier this year, my shortlist was the Canon 1000D & the Nikon D60. After holding them both, the Canon was the most comfortable in my hand, that sealed it for me & I bought the Canon 1000D.

Thank you again for your input. Taken on board!

Hi again SarahLee,

The Higher the spec the better the frame rate tends to be only of real import i feel for the action shot fraternity...
The Higher spec tend to have a better handling of noise and as such have higher iso settings, if your wanting longer exposures then the higher iso is of no import for you.
The thing is the system you choose is very important as you are buying into a system if you then want a diffrent manufacturer you need to change all your lenses, there are a few that work with others systems, The lens is the most important thing as this give you the quality of the image the body just records what the lens feeds it.
Get what feels comfortable but as well as the camera look at what lenses are available for your chosen camera for future purchase.
As Many have said the 50mm lens are cheap as chips and i wouldnt be without mine, although the 35mm i think that is out now for mine would be a more true 50mm on my crop sensor. The Nikon sensor crop is 1.5 x so the 50mm would in 35mm full frame speak be 75mm. The cannon System is 1.6 x crop factor.

Hi again James.
You seem to be totally on my wavelength with this. I think I alluded to some of your points in my opening post although not quite with the conviction and know-how that you have ;)

I may have another visit to the camera shop tomorrow and have another go, but I think I'm coming round to the 450D.
On looking again the main factor that the 500D seems to have over this is movie-making - which I'll never use. We have a camcorder for that :D

Thank you all for your input so far - it's much appreciated.
Please keep adding any thoughts though.

Hi Sarah
Have you had a look at the Sony range goodvalye for money in my opinion with loads if minolta fit lenses available, but has already been said it needs to feel comfurtable and your hands

Just when I think I've almost decided :bang:

I hadn't actually looked at the Sony Range. Canon, Nikon, Fuji - but I seem to have overlooked them. I will add that to my mental checklist for cameras to look at tomorrow.

. . . to everyone who contributed to this thread.

My Canon 450D arrived this morning and I love it :D
It's supposed to be put away for the next couple of weeks until it's actually my birthday, but obviously I had to test it . . . just to make sure that it was all in working order of course ;)

(My test shots are up in "Animals & Nature" if anyone would like to look)

Thank you once again (y)

The 450D is a brilliant camera, my girlfriend got one for her first DSLR and she's not put it down in months.

I hope you can survive the wait.

P.S happy birthday!

Back