The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Day at the zoo, 1400+ shots, whole day shooting accidentally in crop mode :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh dear but it's the end result that matters and if you're happy with the pictures... then it's job done despite a minor hitch :D

NewBeetle makes me wonder...

What's your mistakes?

I once went to take a picture only to find there was no battery in the camera and once shot about 100 pictures with a Canon DSLR with -2 compensation dialed in.

Other than that I once got my tie stuck in a RF's shutter and bent it, the shutter not the tie and with my Nikon SLR I once got completely baffled by an error message when the little tab on the lens came off f22.

Anyone got any disasters to share?

NewBeetle makes me wonder...

What's your mistakes?

I once went to take a picture only to find there was no battery in the camera and once shot about 100 pictures with a Canon DSLR with -2 compensation dialed in.

Other than that I once got my tie stuck in a RF's shutter and bent it, the shutter not the tie and with my Nikon SLR I once got completely baffled by an error message when the little tab on the lens came off f22.

Anyone got any disasters to share?

Got within a few feet of a kingfisher by pure luck (I was waiting for it at a perch in the park nearby, I turned around to go back and it was right behind me on a branch!)
Fired of many many burst at what could have been my best kingfisher pictures to date. I had only forgotten to put in a SD card :(
Never ever got that close again to one and probably never will. Just thinking about it makes rather sad and angry :-/

There you go then, nice pictures anyway :D I hope you're happy with them even if angry with yourself :D

Just picked up a 'Voigtlander' (also called Cosina ;) ) Ultragon in A mount for £45 on the bay. It'll go on the LA-EA4 as a handy ultra-wide to keep in the bag instead of the 12-24 that I lug around at the moment.

I took the 12-24 to Morocco, and it only come out of the bag a couple of times because it's too wide almost all the time, where 19-35 is just about perfect when walking around many interiors.

There you go then, nice pictures anyway :D I hope you're happy with them even if angry with yourself :D

Really happy, best lens I've had this Canon 200mm f/2.8L USM II. Such a good decision, I'm massively impressed.

Just picked up a 'Voigtlander' (also called Cosina ;) ) Ultragon in A mount for £45 on the bay. It'll go on the LA-EA4 as a handy ultra-wide to keep in the bag instead of the 12-24 that I lug around at the moment.

I took the 12-24 to Morocco, and it only come out of the bag a couple of times because it's too wide almost all the time, where 19-35 is just about perfect when walking around many interiors.

Nice. I'd forgotten about that lens. I looked for one when I had Canon SLR's and DSLR's but I couldn't find one at a good price and got the Canon 20-35mm USM instead. I quite liked that lens but there was epic distortion but on the positive side it was light and fast to focus and the USM was nice.

I hope you like the 19-35mm.

Stunningly sharp and clear, and such a buttery background in the last 2. I've been considering coming back to the Sony world as there are a number of features I miss from the days when I had the A6300. AF being one clear benefit. Did you have to fine tune the AF for the adapted Canon lens? I'm guessing you don't get Eye AF or Face detect with the adapted lens. Also I'm curious as to the combination you had when using the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary? Was it a Canon lens used with the MC-11? I had the Sony A mount Tamron 150-600 fitted to a A6300 with a LEA3 adaptor and wasn't impressed with AF accuracy and performance and figured that adapted lenses just weren't up to performance in terms of AF (I also found no ability to fine tune AF with that combo). However seeing your BIF and how sharp they are, I'm wondering whether things are any different with your Sigma 150-600 combo - and comparing that to the likes of the Nikon D500 and the Nikon 200-500 combo

Last edited:
Stunningly sharp and clear, and such a buttery background in the last 2. I've been considering coming back to the Sony world as there are a number of features I miss from the days when I had the A6300. AF being one clear benefit. Did you have to fine tune the AF for the adapted Canon lens? I'm guessing you don't get Eye AF or Face detect with the adapted lens. Also I'm curious as to the combination you had when using the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary? Was it a Canon lens used with the MC-11? Cheers

Yes you get Eye AF, Animal Eye AF and Face Detection using this lens and the Sigma 150-600. I would say these functions are not as constantly tracking as with a native lens but using the MC-11 for both these lenses (and my previous Canon 70-200 f/4L) these features do still work accurately. I don't think fine tuning AF is a thing with a mirrorless camera, though someone may correct me there.

*edit, if that wasn't clear my Sigma 150-600C is the Canon mount version used with MC-11

Last edited:
Yes you get Eye AF, Animal Eye AF and Face Detection using this lens and the Sigma 150-600. I would say these functions are not as constantly tracking as with a native lens but using the MC-11 for both these lenses (and my previous Canon 70-200 f/4L) these features do still work accurately. I don't think fine tuning AF is a thing with a mirrorless camera, though someone may correct me there.

*edit, if that wasn't clear my Sigma 150-600C is the Canon mount version used with MC-11
That's good to know. Do you find yourself using Eye AF & Animal Eye AF for the likes of these photos above, or do you find it a bit of a gimmick / unreliable in real life application with your adapted lenses? Do you prefer single spot for animal / bird portraits?

My understanding was that native lenses are bang on with AF on mirrorless, but when you start working with adaptors etc there may be the need to fine tune. I maybe completely wrong as your photos are clearly tack sharp.

Does AF perform quickly enough on your Canon fit Sigma 150-600 & MC11 for a good keep rate with BIF?

That's good to know. Do you find yourself using Eye AF & Animal Eye AF for the likes of these photos above, or do you find it a bit of a gimmick / unreliable in real life application with your adapted lenses? Do you prefer single spot for animal / bird portraits?

My understanding was that native lenses are bang on with AF on mirrorless, but when you start working with adaptors etc there may be the need to fine tune. I maybe completely wrong as your photos are clearly tack sharp.

Does AF perform quickly enough on your Canon fit Sigma 150-600 & MC11 for a good keep rate with BIF?

Usually on pet portrait or shooting at the zoo like above I use Continuous AF with Expand Flexible Spot, I place this around the face/eye and because I have eye detect turned on the little green box will pop up on the eye when it recognises it. A difference would be using the Sony 85mm f/1.8 in a similar situation I would just leave the focus area to Wide in continuous AF and it will nearly always find the eye without any help.

I've never had to fine tune any adapted lens on my A6000 and now my A7 III, I was under the impression it was more to do with how DSLR's focus and mirrorless negated this need.

BIF, well I have nothing to compare the Sigma to, as this my first long lens with AF and I am very new to BIF photography. I don't get near the 90% hit rate of an A9 with a native long lens, but I get shots that I am happy with and my panning and technique is improving the more I practice. Here's a few examples, no award winners here haha, but I'm still learning BIF

DSC08072-3 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08004 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC03791-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC03340 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Had few days in Scotland visiting friends so just chucked the 50mm 1.8 on. It's by no means a sharp lens, but I think it does a good all round job on the A73. Snappy focus, small and light. Ideal for a bit of travelling!

81oN6In.jpg

Eq45bgy.jpg

tuPsZmU.jpg

wUN5gBL.jpg

Had few days in Scotland visiting friends so just chucked the 50mm 1.8 on. It's by no means a sharp lens, but I think it does a good all round job on the A73. Snappy focus, small and light. Ideal for a bit of travelling!

81oN6In.jpg

Eq45bgy.jpg

tuPsZmU.jpg

wUN5gBL.jpg
Do you have the 55mm? Thats very sharp

Unfortunately I could only afford the cheap one once I got the 70-200!
Looks sharp enough anyway. I'm more about the rendering than sharpness these days, most modern lenses are sharp enough. My Nikon 50mm f1.8G isn't "sharp" wide open, but it renders really nicely and as a result I'm reluctant to change to the obscenely sharp 50mm Z in case the rendering isn't as nice.

Do you have the 55mm? Thats very sharp

Weird flaring on the 55 when using flash, I get it loads on the dancefloor. Like a vertical stripe of light when the flash catches the edge of the frame. But it is very sharp, gets used a lot during prep for me.

Weird flaring on the 55 when using flash, I get it loads on the dancefloor. Like a vertical stripe of light when the flash catches the edge of the frame. But it is very sharp, gets used a lot during prep for me.

I haven’t used mine for dancing don’t think I have ever used it with flash either. I prefer to use a wider lens for the dancing. I also use it a lot for prep, my missus uses it for pretty much everything apart from the dancing.

It is ridiculously sharp, it’s also dead handy with it being so small and light weight. My missus didn’t want to swap over to Sony this lens was the reason why she did in the end.

I haven’t used mine for dancing don’t think I have ever used it with flash either. I prefer to use a wider lens for the dancing. I also use it a lot for prep, my missus uses it for pretty much everything apart from the dancing.

It is ridiculously sharp, it’s also dead handy with it being so small and light weight. My missus didn’t want to swap over to Sony this lens was the reason why she did in the end.

I don't use it often, but I like to mix it up a bit. So I sometimes shoot from to the side of the dancefloor in with the 55. But I'm usually on the dancefloor with the 25mm

I had a severe flaring issue with the 55 I had. Sony couldn't even fix it and I got a refund, wasn't a fan of the lens at all anyway tbh lol

I had a severe flaring issue with the 55 I had. Sony couldn't even fix it and I got a refund, wasn't a fan of the lens at all anyway tbh lol

I haven’t had any noticeable flaring with mine. Might be worth giving it another look. Makes some difference weight wise rather than wheel barrelling along a 50mm art.

Interesting, I’ve only ever used mine with OCF and no issues there. I’ll have a play and see if I can replicate. Is it the same with the hood on?

I haven’t had any noticeable flaring with mine. Might be worth giving it another look. Makes some difference weight wise rather than wheel barrelling along a 50mm art.

The 50 art isn't too bad man. Nothing is heavy after having the 35 1.2 LOL

I didn't like the 55 at all man, felt flat and boring AF to me

The 50 art isn't too bad man. Nothing is heavy after having the 35 1.2 LOL

I didn't like the 55 at all man, felt flat and boring AF to me

Yeah a lot of people don't like it as it a bit souless, but all the Zeiss lenses are to a certain extent. It is technically great though and it livens up a bit if you disable all the corrections.

It makes for a great light weight set up though if you team it up with a 24GM.

It took me ages to convince the missus to switch over from Nikon. She didn't care about eye a.f the better hit rate etc.

But when I bought one of these and showed her it versus the Nikon D850 with a Sigma 50 art that she was using, straight away she was like yeah okay then order me it up.

I haven't had much of a chance to play with the A9 just yet, but will give it a good run through at Fridays wedding.

Straight away did notice though that the real time a.f is much better than it is on the A6400 which I thought was already pretty good.

It's been a fair while since I used an A9, I borrowed one for a few weeks not long after I jumped ship to Sony while I was making my mind up between it and additional A7III's. With all the updates it is a completely different camera now.

Red focus point is a god send. :banana:

I haven't had much of a chance to play with the A9 just yet, but will give it a good run through at Fridays wedding.

Straight away did notice though that the real time a.f is much better than it is on the A6400 which I thought was already pretty good.

It's been a fair while since I used an A9, I borrowed one for a few weeks not long after I jumped ship to Sony while I was making my mind up between it and additional A7III's. With all the updates it is a completely different camera now.

Red focus point is a god send. :banana:

Great cam man, I loved mine but its crippled for video so useless to me sadly. Sneaky f***ers said they were gonna add picture profiles and never did

Great cam man, I loved mine but its crippled for video so useless to me sadly. Sneaky f***ers said they were gonna add picture profiles and never did

All thanks to our friends up the road. :LOL:

I wouldn't have bought it otherwise with it being a bit older now, but with it being free money it would have been rude not too.

They have sent me another payment by the way, only a couple of quid for having to wash my own uniform or something due to tax changes. You will probably get one too.

Interesting. I had one that was quite sharp (much sharper than the equivalent Nikons either D or G) but the AF was completely faecal and made every Samyang I've owned look good by comparison. Sent it back in the end because even at £135 it wasn't worth keeping.

Those look pretty sharp to me.

Last day in the lakes. I wasn't planning on going out at sunrise this morning until I had woken up to see low cloud in the valleys around Ambleside. A quick trip out to Loughrigg Fell. I missed most of the good light on the walk up (always feels tougher than I remember!). Sadly most of the low cloud was in Ambleside and Windermere.

I took this from the path part way up.
_A7R9661.jpg

A 5 shot panorama stitched together in Lightroom. The good light had good by the time I reached the top.
(file quality and sized decreased so I could upload to the forum).
_A7R9662-Pano.jpg

A reminder just to go out hoping for the best rather than stay in bed.

Interesting. I had one that was quite sharp (much sharper than the equivalent Nikons either D or G) but the AF was completely faecal and made every Samyang I've owned look good by comparison. Sent it back in the end because even at £135 it wasn't worth keeping.

Those look pretty sharp to me.

They did update the firmware which I think helped with the AF. Seems quite quick on the A73.

canon RF 70-200mm/2.8 is only 1070g as per leaked specs.

That's nearly 1/3rd less weight than others!

canon RF 70-200mm/2.8 is only 1070g as per leaked specs.

That's nearly 1/3rd less weight than others!

Yup, but I am really unsure about the barrel extension...that's going to pull in dust, changes balance of the lens when zooming, weak point if knocked when extended. It's a trade off really from a fixed length.

Yup, but I am really unsure about the barrel extension...that's going to pull in dust, changes balance of the lens when zooming, weak point if knocked when extended. It's a trade off really from a fixed length.
One can't have it both ways I guess.
Pulling in dust is a thing of the past I think. I was using tamron 28-75 and 100-400mm with no such issues. Still use 24-105mm and have no issues with that. The modern lenses are pretty well sealed against dust.

As for the rest that's what you have to put up with but the overall package will still be lighter with weight concentrated near the body so I think balance won't be an issue either.

My main concern is it's performance. The latest EF 70-200mm is considered the best one of the lot. How will it compare?

One can't have it both ways I guess.
Pulling in dust is a thing of the past I think. I was using tamron 28-75 and 100-400mm with no such issues. Still use 24-105mm and have no issues with that. The modern lenses are pretty well sealed against dust.

As for the rest that's what you have to put up with but the overall package will still be lighter with weight concentrated near the body so I think balance won't be an issue either.

My main concern is it's performance. The latest EF 70-200mm is considered the best one of the lot. How will it compare?

I do like how compact it is in the bag though, that is a massive plus.

I am sure IQ will be good, but I just don't like lenses that moves externally. When they moved the way it does it in the 24-70 mk2 to the zoom with the hood attached at the end of it, that really put me off. Having the end bit protected from the hood gives me a piece of mind.

Back