The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Need to be careful here. What he means is EFCS. As opposed to Fully Electronic.
Are you sure, I know he shows turning the EFCS off but when he’s talking he always says electronic shutter and mechanical shutter and never states EFCS?

I didn’t realise some cameras don’t have fully mechanical options. I guess 99% of people won’t see the minor issues caused by using it though.
If you really think about that most cameras don't have mechanical shutters.

Interesting. That's very weird as surely in silent mode you're using the same EFCS :thinking: I'd be really interested to know why. Obviously it's not going to affect my shooting, but it's one weird phenomena
No silent is full electronic. No shutter at all.

No silent is full electronic. No shutter at all.
Surely it needs an electronic form of a shutter to ‘open and close’ the sensor to light?

This might help

Thanks, I’ve already read that. But the way I see it EFCS is the same ‘mechanism’ in both EFCS shooting and silent, i.e. the exposure is started electronically, the difference is the rear curtain where one is closed mechanically and one is closed electronically.

However, I’ve found the answer. The reason that you get the weird effects using EFCS and not silent as well is due to the electronic shutter being on the plane of the sensor, whereas the mechanical shutter is several mm from the sensor surface. At large apertures this causes a discrepancy in the light fall off which causes ‘cutting off’ of the bokeh. With silent shooting both shutters are on the same plane (I.e. the sensor) and so you don’t get any discrepancy.

Lensrentals tests 20G

Its a great lens with amazing sharpness.... nothing surprising but there you have it.

Nice clean shots with good poses. Were they big crops or were you very close?
Thanks. Robin was a medium crop, blue tit was almost 1:1. They look better/sharper on Flickr imo.

Just a simple landscape type Snapograph taken a time or two ago at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of an old winch mechanism that was used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach and an old fisherman's hut. These are just two of the many things scattered about the beach that have just been Discarded & left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/680th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Discarded (1)-03507 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Just a simple landscape type Snapograph taken a time or two ago at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of an old winch mechanism that was used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach and an old fisherman's hut. These are just two of the many things scattered about the beach that have just been Discarded & left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

George.
Nicely done. I like your B&W processing, I’m yet to find a way to process B&W’s that I’m happy with.

George.

Really nice. It has a cool 3D quality about it.

Nicely done. I like your B&W processing, I’m yet to find a way to process B&W’s that I’m happy with.

Thank you kindly Toby, I sure do appreciate your reply.

A wee wander with the family which now includes an A9 and 135GM. The 135 is a stunner and the A9 a much better walkaround camera than the A7r IV
Mickey by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Nice.
The 135 is one of my dream lenses, every time I see a portrait image I really like it's usually the 135mm.
Not sure if I could justify owning one though....

Nice.
The 135 is one of my dream lenses, every time I see a portrait image I really like it's usually the 135mm.
Not sure if I could justify owning one though....

I bought one (135L), and it was actually my first L Prime at the time as it is the cheapest L Prime (It was £750). It is great on paper but it is a really long lens, you are quite far away from your subject and it has this 1 look that it is great at and I found I rarely needed it, I could do it/get by with a 85 most of the time and certainly it wasn't worth swapping out for it at a wedding because if something comes closer you are now way out. 85 allows me to move forward (or crop) which is much easier than to move back.

Thus the 135L i kept almost as a lens I use when the situation calls for it as opposed to my creativity does.

Ended up getting a 105/1.4 instead, i mean if i am going to get a lens for fun, i might as well get something ridiculous.

George.
Nice processing. I must get down there one time. It looks fascinating

I bought one (135L), and it was actually my first L Prime at the time as it is the cheapest L Prime (It was £750). It is great on paper but it is a really long lens, you are quite far away from your subject and it has this 1 look that it is great at and I found I rarely needed it, I could do it/get by with a 85 most of the time and certainly it wasn't worth swapping out for it at a wedding because if something comes closer you are now way out. 85 allows me to move forward (or crop) which is much easier than to move back.

Thus the 135L i kept almost as a lens I use when the situation calls for it as opposed to my creativity does.

Ended up getting a 105/1.4 instead, i mean if i am going to get a lens for fun, i might as well get something ridiculous.

That all makes perfect sense but I will use it a lot for my dog in darker conditions and possibly some indoor sports and even some casual macro type nature shots. The fast focussing was one of the main reasons I bought it and it will replace my 200mm F2 for my Nikon which is like a big brother to your 105 in that it is a lens that is also a bit ridiculous.

A wee wander with the family which now includes an A9 and 135GM. The 135 is a stunner and the A9 a much better walkaround camera than the A7r IV
Mickey by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Nice. I’ve often wondered if I can use a 135mm f1.8 instead of a 70-200mm f2.8 but I’m not sure if I’d miss the flexibility.

In what way is the A9 a better walkabout camera than the A7RIV?

Nice shot but not sure I'd agree A9 is a better walkaround camera especially with primes....

It is mostly down to file size. I wish you could shoot smaller raws on the A7r IV as the file sizes are too big for shots where I control the composition and where the subjects are.
IIRC you can shoot in smaller raw files with the R4 to keep the size down.

It is mostly down to file size. I wish you could shoot smaller raws on the A7r IV as the file sizes are too big for shots where I control the composition and where the subjects are.

I don't really get the file is too large thing tbh... storage is cheap enough these days. you get greater freedom to compose on a higher MP body if anything.
The one place where I can see A7RIV file size being a problem is for sports when you need to shoot a lot pictures in bursts but that's hardly "walkaround" shooting ;)

I don't really get the file is too large thing tbh... storage is cheap enough these days. you get greater freedom to compose on a higher MP body if anything.
The one place where I can see A7RIV file size being a problem is for sports when you need to shoot a lot pictures in bursts but that's hardly "walkaround" shooting ;)
Storage is cheap but it slows the workflow and just isn't needed. The A9 is snappier in operation so just a bit more fun to shoot and it is a good bit better at higher iso's from what I have seen so far albeit stripping pixels out the A7R iv files does help with noise.

Nice. I’ve often wondered if I can use a 135mm f1.8 instead of a 70-200mm f2.8 but I’m not sure if I’d miss the flexibility.

In what way is the A9 a better walkabout camera than the A7RIV?
I have nearly always used zooms and I am hoping the 135 will make me work a bit more with compositions and moving my feet. I bought a we Samyang 35mm F1.8 and I am going to take a single prime out and mix it up to work on my skills

only in APS-C mode.
Yeah just looked into it, I thought you had mRAW and sRAW but that must’ve been the Z7.
Storage is cheap but it slows the workflow and just isn't needed. The A9 is snappier in operation so just a bit more fun to shoot and it is a good bit better at higher iso's from what I have seen so far albeit stripping pixels out the A7R iv files does help with noise.
I’ve found the operation of the A9-II much snappier than the R4 too, although startup time could be better.

I have nearly always used zooms and I am hoping the 135 will make me work a bit more with compositions and moving my feet. I bought a we Samyang 35mm F1.8 and I am going to take a single prime out and mix it up to work on my skills
My issue is the shooting I do with such lenses a lot of the time I don’t really get the chance to ‘choose’ composition and/or how close I can get to the subject (thinking motorsports and sports venues).

My computer bogged down with the large files leading to a bit of frustration at times. I do prefer the flexibility of the extra MP though if I’ve got the rest of the gear to keep up with it. I’m hoping by the time I can afford the A1 I’ll have a new more powerful computer (y)

Back