The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

At least a TC is small enough you can just have it in your bag and decide on the day if you want to use it.
Have a great day, and good luck with the kingfishers!
Thanks. Yeah the TC will definitely be going with me, it’s just that I don’t know whether it’s a case of seeing them fleetingly and grabbing the shot whilst you can, or whether they’ll be coming and going all morning giving you chance to take numerous shots and experiment with gear and settings. Obviously I’ll find out tomorrow ;)

Thanks. Yeah the TC will definitely be going with me, it’s just that I don’t know whether it’s a case of seeing them fleetingly and grabbing the shot whilst you can, or whether they’ll be coming and going all morning giving you chance to take numerous shots and experiment with gear and settings. Obviously I’ll find out tomorrow ;)
If the area is enclosed and relatively small - ie a pond, then I would imagine you would see it a good few times throughout the day - although the opportunity when it's close may only happen a couple of times. From the 2 occasions I went to the hide where one frequents up here in Scotland - most of time it was just too far away even with a teleconverter - and when it did come close I was happy enough with my 200-600mm but only had a minute at best while it remained before flying off again

Last edited:
If the area is enclosed and relatively small - ie a pond, then I would imagine you would see it a good few times throughout the day - although the opportunity when it's close may only happen a couple of times. From the 2 occasions I went to the hide where one frequents up here in Scotland - most of time it was just too far away even with a teleconverter - and when it did come close I was happy enough with my 200-600mm but only had a minute at best while it remained before flying off again
Thanks for the info.

pT2Xn6e.jpg
Oops

First few from today's Kingfisher experience. Hiring the 400mm f2.8 was definitely the right choice, barring one 20 minute sunny ish spell (when luckily the Kingfisher did come along) it was pretty overcast so ISO was ramping up. Tried it at f8 and ISO was 5000 meaning quite a loss of detail (I did rescue (ish) photo 5 as I liked the fish's expression ;)), so f4 it was with the 1.4x TC (y)

The Bird AF on the A1 is insane, I didn't even have to bother with single point AF (my go to), just set it to wide, bird eye AF and let the camera work its magic :clap:

A1_01099-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_01128-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_01523-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_01624-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A1_01681-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

First few from today's Kingfisher experience. Hiring the 400mm f2.8 was definitely the right choice, barring one 20 minute sunny ish spell (when luckily the Kingfisher did come along) it was pretty overcast so ISO was ramping up. Tried it at f8 and ISO was 5000 meaning quite a loss of detail (I did rescue (ish) photo 5 as I liked the fish's expression ;)), so f4 it was with the 1.4x TC (y)

The Bird AF on the A1 is insane, I didn't even have to bother with single point AF (my go to), just set it to wide, bird eye AF and let the camera work its magic :clap:

Fantastic detail - hope you enjoyed the experience

That's a simply astonishing level of detail - looks like the new camera was not a bad investment, along with the lens hire & KF experience.

Fantastic detail - hope you enjoyed the experience
Thanks, yes I did thanks. Quite a different experience for me, I'm not really a birder so it was strange to shoot for about 20s, wait around for an hour, shoot again for 20s or so and so on.
Where did you go for the kingfisher? Must have been pretty close for that sort of shot on the 400?
Private hide near Leeds. The perch was probably no more than 5m away from the hide. I did use the TC as at 400mm is was a bit small in the frame. These are unedited comparisons of 400mm vs 400mm + 1.4x TC

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 18.17.00 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

That's a simply astonishing level of detail - looks like the new camera was not a bad investment, along with the lens hire & KF experience.
Thanks, I'm really happy with the A1, still can't believe I have one :banana:

Great shots, glad you're enjoying the new toy.

Thanks, yes I did thanks. Quite a different experience for me, I'm not really a birder so it was strange to shoot for about 20s, wait around for an hour, shoot again for 20s or so and so on.

Private hide near Leeds. The perch was probably no more than 5m away from the hide. I did use the TC as at 400mm is was a bit small in the frame. These are unedited comparisons of 400mm vs 400mm + 1.4x TC

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 18.17.00 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
ahhh very nice. Leeds is just over an hour from me so I'll have to check it out

I’ve noticed that when I change the battery on my A1 and then the camera on it displays a window saying “Running on PAL”. A quick investigation says this is the case when you change it from the default NTSC/PAL setting.

Is this something new on Sonys as it didn’t happen with my A9II which I assume was also NTSC by default as it was also from Panamoz?

I’m also wondering if happened before I updated it, is it possible to download the wrong firmware which would change it to NTSC by default?

ahhh very nice. Leeds is just over an hour from me so I'll have to check it out
It’s run by a guy called Steve Race/Yorkshire Coast Nature.

I'm still very new to this hobby but have had a go at editing some shots I've taken on a recent trip to Japan, although there are a mixture of A7 III, Pixel 7 Pro & 13 Pro Max in this collection I'd say 95% of it is from the A7III + Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

I'm keen to learn so any criticism welcome:

I’ve noticed that when I change the battery on my A1 and then the camera on it displays a window saying “Running on PAL”. A quick investigation says this is the case when you change it from the default NTSC/PAL setting.

Is this something new on Sonys as it didn’t happen with my A9II which I assume was also NTSC by default as it was also from Panamoz?

I’m also wondering if happened before I updated it, is it possible to download the wrong firmware which would change it to NTSC by default?
apparently this happens with grey imports but doesn't mean anything. Mines UK so never comes up

Those look good.

apparently this happens with grey imports but doesn't mean anything. Mines UK so never comes up
Yeah I realise some imports are like this, it’s just my A9II isn’t and that was bought from the same place. Since my post I’ve actually been questioning whether I ever changed my A9II from NTSC :thinking:

I’m assuming NTSC/PAL only affects video and has no impact on stills shooting such as EVF, anti-flicker etc?

Yeah I realise some imports are like this, it’s just my A9II isn’t and that was bought from the same place. Since my post I’ve actually been questioning whether I ever changed my A9II from NTSC :thinking:

I’m assuming NTSC/PAL only affects video and has no impact on stills shooting such as EVF, anti-flicker etc?
Just checked, my A9II is definitely PAL by default.

yeah video only and it should effect anything modern to be fair

In this day and age NTSC & PAL are pretty irrelevant.

I'm still very new to this hobby but have had a go at editing some shots I've taken on a recent trip to Japan, although there are a mixture of A7 III, Pixel 7 Pro & 13 Pro Max in this collection I'd say 95% of it is from the A7III + Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

There's quite a variety of pictures there. It would help us to help you if you selected a few very specific photos that you would like to talk about and then posted them in the relevant sections of the site for critique/discussion.

Looks like an interesting collection. :)

I have one but no, I purposely didn’t take it, the reason I have a filter is to protect the lens…did its job as intended

And

No wardens (there is another blocked by people) and warning signs here last time. I also notice someone now marked this spot on Google maps too!

vppnWYz.jpg

Lovely pictures. Well spotted, taken and presented :D

I particularly like them all :D but maybe especially the mountain ones. Both me and Mrs WW likes the dog ones :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back