The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well that's what I asked and that's the reply I got. I don't know how these cameras monitor for anti flicker etc, whether they can adapt to any frequency or whether they work on set parameters such as 50hz and various multiples vs 60hz and various multiples :thinking:
If you'd asked about specific effects of the setting and that was their reply then the fact they don't mention any specific effect on other settings I'd take to mean it doesn't have an effect. I'm not really understanding though, if you're concerned about flicker wouldn't you match the camera to the source to begin with?

If you'd asked about specific effects of the setting and that was their reply then the fact they don't mention any specific effect on other settings I'd take to mean it doesn't have an effect. I'm not really understanding though, if you're concerned about flicker wouldn't you match the camera to the source to begin with?
I queried it again with them and they said it "will affect camera performances in terms of banding and flicker". Obviously you can control shutter speed with the mechanical shutter to avoid flicker and banding but you can't change sensor readout time when using the electronic shutter. Also with the A1 you get the anti flicker function with electronic shutter as well as mechanical and I can only assume it affects how this works :thinking:

TBH none of it is an issue, I never ran into banding issues with the A9ii so doubt I am with the A1, however if I do at least I know that PAL vs NTSC 'may' come into play if I need to problem solve (y)

Sent my Sony A7Riv off along with my Sony 20 1.8 for repair today, dropped them onto concrete Sunday, smashed the rear screen and the lens came off the body.

Gutted as I’m going away Thursday for the Easter weekend and was hoping to take some pictures, don’t really know what to do.

35GM

*** by Lee, on Flickr

*** by Lee, on Flickr

CV40/1.2

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Very nice, I'm still very jealous of your processing as well as use of light such as that in the first pic.

I've noticed on some of your shots you use a cinebloom filter, I've not heard of these before why do you use them?

Last edited:
I'm trying to create a default preset for my new camera and I've been meddling around so much I've gone a bit colour blind, which looks more natural/better the left or the right please? One's more magenta and one more green.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 09.32.43 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Very nice, I'm still very jealous of your processing as well as use of light such as that in the first pic.

I've noticed on some of your shots you use a cinebloom filter, I've not heard of these before why do you use them?

(y) I've been using them for quite a while now. I do sometimes over do it though and just leave the stronger filter on! I just like the softer look they give especially around the highlights. Certainly works well with more of a film style edit which I tend to edge towards usually.

I also use a similar filter for my night sky stuff too which brings out the brightest stars a little more.... ;)

View: https://flic.kr/p/2onbNkz

View: https://flic.kr/p/2o5evyF

Last edited:

(y) I've been using them for quite a while now. I do sometimes over do it though and just leave the stronger filter on! I just like the softer look they give especially around the highlights. Certainly works well with more of a film style edit which I tend to edge towards usually.

I also use a similar filter for my night sky stuff too which brings out the brightest stars a little more.... ;)

Cinebloom filters are quite a strong effect, there is a series of Tiffen filters - Black ProMist which is available in different strengths 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 the 1/2 is probably equivalent to the Cinebloom 10%.

The Black Promists, retain the Blacks and the contrast better than a regular difussion filter. I've used the 1/4 quite a bit and as @LeeRatters says they tend to soften the image slightly (IMO without loosing all teh sharpness), tends to make a digital image look less digital - if that makes sense. Highlights are hallinated giving them a more film like glow. I've been thinking of getting a 1/8 and seeing if that just takes the edge opff, as the 1/4 can be a bit strong esp[ecially if there are artifical lights about.

(and before you ask me to don a labcoat :ROFLMAO: no, I don't have any with/withoiut shots of the same subject.)

Last edited:

Cinebloom filters are quite a string effect, there is a series of Tiffen filters - Black ProMist which is available in different strengths 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 the 1/2 is probably equivalent to the Cinebloom 10%.

The Black Promists, retain the Blacks and the contrast better than a regular difussion filter. I've used the 1/4 quite a bit and as @LeeRatters says they tend to soften the image slightly (IMO without loosing all teh sharpness), tends to make a digital image look less digital - if that makes sense. Highlights are hallinated giving them a more film like glow. I've been thinking of getting a 1/8 and seeing if that just takes the edge opff, as the 1/4 can be a bit strong esp[ecially if there are artifical lights about.

(and before you ask me to don a labcoat :ROFLMAO: no, I don't have any with/withoiut shots of the same subject.)
Thanks for the info, definitely going to look into these.

Cinebloom filters are quite a strong effect, there is a series of Tiffen filters - Black ProMist which is available in different strengths 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 the 1/2 is probably equivalent to the Cinebloom 10%.

I have the 1/8 pro mist, I think it's subtle enough that you'd have to know what you're looking for or see pictures with and without side by side.

The shot of my daughter next to her first car above...... 20% in direct morning sunlight! :ROFLMAO:

I do have the 10% too and I went for the Moment because they had a good offer on at the time. As you say though they give that less digital look without just 'crushing the blacks' in the tone curve!

Some of mine (mainly night) are here - you can certainly see the effects of the diffusion. I'm certainly going to try some daylight stuff though.
Thanks, but where?

I haven't been able to get out much recently with one thing and another but I have noticed that my A7 is looking a bit shabby now as the covering is blebbing ever more. The half case sort of hides it a bit though.

I am sort of attached to it as later models get ever bigger and although silent shooting and eye detect would be very nice the A7 does do most things I need and I will be a little sad when it fails or falls apart.

Another Pergear 35mm f1.4 picture, at f1.4.

PhyIdCp.jpg

I'll have to do a side by side comparison with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but my feeling at the mo is that the Pergear is a bit less wild at f2 and wider. There are obvious differences though so I think a closer side by side look could help me decide which I like best.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to get out much recently with one thing and another but I have noticed that my A7 is looking a bit shabby now as the covering is blebbing ever more. The half case sort of hides it a bit though.

I am sort of attached to it as later models get ever bigger and although silent shooting and eye detect would be very nice the A7 does do most things I need and I will be a little sad when it fails or falls apart.

Another Pergear 35mm f1.4 picture, at f1.4.

PhyIdCp.jpg

I'll have to do a side by side comparison with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but my feeling at the mo is that the Pergear is a bit less wild at f2 and wider. There are obvious differences though so I think a closer side by side look could help me decide which I like best.
I bet you’re one of those blokes that refuses to throw away his boxers until they have a hole in the back and the elastic has gone . If you hurry Sony have trade in bonuses for another couple of days lol

I bet you’re one of those blokes that refuses to throw away his boxers until they have a hole in the back and the elastic has gone . If you hurry Sony have trade in bonuses for another couple of days lol

Unless it's a car I don't tend to change tech unless there's a good reason and at the mo the reasons to change aren't good enough for me. My A7 is physically showing it's age but it still does most of the things I want it to do especially as I use manual lenses a good % of the time so the focus improvements aren't really applicable. When I use AF lenses it still does most of what I want too. The only thing which is really missing is an electronic shutter.

Fascinated by the Samyang 35-150mm 2-2.8. at first I assumed it must be a rebranded Tamron, but given Tamron were selling these as quickly as they could make them for a year, why bother licencing it? The Samyang also appears to be ever so slightly shorter, with a smaller focus ring, so not just a rebrand.

Fair play to them if they've managed to design it themselves, they're getting pretty good these days.

Unless it's a car I don't tend to change tech unless there's a good reason and at the mo the reasons to change aren't good enough for me. My A7 is physically showing it's age but it still does most of the things I want it to do especially as I use manual lenses a good % of the time so the focus improvements aren't really applicable. When I use AF lenses it still does most of what I want too. The only thing which is really missing is an electronic shutter.

Come on Alan.... ;) Join us..... ;) :ROFLMAO:

Crikey those Tiffen filters are expensive aren’t they :eek:

Come on Alan.... ;) Join us..... ;) :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes I think, why not? You're only here once, you can't take it with you etc but in reality what would I gain by buying an A7IV? Not too much. I printed three pictures to A4 recently and two of them were B&W conversions of pictures taken with my Medion compact at just over 2mb.

Not that you can judge too much here but this was taken with my creaking old A7 and Pergear 35mm and really, what more could I ask for IQ wise for the general family and day out snapping I do?

799lCXe.jpg

Even at 100% it's excellent even with a cheapo lens :D

HHQh3z9.jpg

I might see I car I fancy though :D

Last edited:
Anyone else feel the SONY A7s just dont feel very robust, I mean I am comparing to my Nikon D810 and D3 LOL the hammer but Got the SONY for lightness and it feels very flimsy pictures from it and hit rate and battery usage are incredible but feels like its not going to stand the test of time...

Anyone else feel the SONY A7s just dont feel very robust, I mean I am comparing to my Nikon D810 and D3 LOL the hammer but Got the SONY for lightness and it feels very flimsy pictures from it and hit rate and battery usage are incredible but feels like its not going to stand the test of time...

Hi and welcome Bill :D

If it helps at all I've had the original A7 since they came out and the only visible thing wrong with it is that the covering is blistering. Apart from that nothings actually broken or fallen off.

I bought mine used in early 2015 and it's pretty much mint aside from a scratch on the screen protector which was my fault....

Also my only camera up until a month or two ago.

Back