The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've just got my camera and gear stolen while in the South of Spain :confused: I've reported the serial numbers I found on my registered devices on https://www.sony.co.uk/mysony/ to the police. I don't remember them being as long on my camera body and lenses though? I have two numbers separated by a dash.
I just looked at the products I registered and they have the same serials on the Sony site as I can see on the lenses and bodies. Really sorry to hear about your loss and hope the insurance covers it.

Hi, could anyone with a Sony A7 IV post a photo of the bottom of their camera body if possible (with the serial number hidden)? I found a listing online in Spain and trying to find its origin and whether the serial number hasn't been photoshopped.

Hi, could anyone with a Sony A7 IV post a photo of the bottom of their camera body if possible (with the serial number hidden)? I found a listing online in Spain and trying to find its origin and whether the serial number hasn't been photoshopped.
I don't have that camera but imported cameras have very different serial numbers than UK bought ones.

Well I did it - went to Mull to take a trip with Mull Charters to see these awesome birds!! What a trip which involved 4 crossings between Oban and Mull to keep costs down, and a heck of a lot of sweat with ferry cancellations etc. I might swamp you all with lots of photos of these amazing birds

A9C08203 2 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Weather's not looking good :(

View attachment 397222
Don't worry, I bought an overpriced KTM umbrella today so if that doesn't hold off the rain then nothing will.

I was having a look at the KTM Motogp bike which they have along with some of the road models and the guy there spotted the Sony camera and started chatting to me. He had an A7RV and did a lot of wildlife photography which he was exceptional at, lots of amazing shots although mentioned he couldn't do it full time as it didn't pay well enough which was depressing given the quality of his shots.

I was at the auction on Thursday and quickly decided not to bid for anything as many of the prices were very high, around 4,000 for a grid walk and Marquez' boots from a crash at Assen went for just shy of 5,000 pounds. There was a photography package where you could get to go trackside of a motogp race of your choice and get professional tuition, the trackside access alone would have been good but I thought the price will be silly but it was £1200 which I'd didn't think was too bad.

There was a lady beside us who won a number of items all for a good chunk of money, we weren't sure how much she spent in the end but it was a lot including over 1000 pounds just for a selfie with Bezecchi and Marini...made me feel maybe the Z8/A1 price isn't so bad.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I bought an overpriced KTM umbrella today so if that doesn't hold off the rain then nothing will.

I was having a look at the KTM Motogp bike which they have along with some of the road models and the guy there spotted the Sony camera and started chatting to me. He had an A7RV and did a lot of wildlife photography which he was exceptional at, lots of amazing shots although mentioned he couldn't do it full time as it didn't pay well enough which was depressing given the quality of his shots.

I was at the auction on Thursday and quickly decided not to bid for anything as many of the prices were very high, around 4,000 for a grid walk and Marquez' boots from a crash at Assen went for just shy of 5,000 pounds. There was a photography package where you could get to go trackside of a motogp race of your choice and get professional tuition, the trackside access alone would have been good but I thought the price will be silly but it was £1200 which I'd didn't think was too bad.

There was a lady beside us who won a number of items all for a good chunk of money, we weren't sure how much she spent in the end but it was a lot including over 1000 pounds just for a selfie with Bezecchi and Marini...made me feel maybe the Z8/A1 price isn't so bad.
I've binned it off, hoping I don't regret it. It won't be great for photos, and lean angles will be reduced. I'm actually having a bad flare up of my fibro, if I wasn't I think I'd be more willing to go, but as I am I don't think sitting/standing out in the rain will do me any favours, even with my oversized Repsol Honda brolly ;)

I've binned it off, hoping I don't regret it. It won't be great for photos, and lean angles will be reduced. I'm actually having a bad flare up of my fibro, if I wasn't I think I'd be more willing to go, but as I am I don't think sitting/standing out in the rain will do me any favours, even with my oversized Repsol Honda brolly ;)
Nice to see they're actually on track, looks grim though.

Dry for the sprint :facepalm:

Horrible conditions today which were unpleasant anyway as it's not just wet but cold and windy too, pretty worthless for taking photos.

Horrible conditions today which were unpleasant anyway as it's not just wet but cold and windy too, pretty worthless for taking photos.
Sorry to hear that, I hope you still managed to enjoy it?

Took a test shot scenario for anyone interested in the Sony A1 with 50mm f1.2 GM vs the M11 with Noctilux f0.95.

CFEDE499-596F-42B1-BE5D-B094E2DC1C70Noctilux.jpg

Taken with the Sony A1 and Sony 50mm f1.2 GM wide open
A1 50 12 GM.jpg
Taken with the Leica M11 and Leica 50mm Noctilux f0.95 wide open
M11 Noctilux 095.jpg

Focus point is the logo on both cameras - red dot on the Leica and A1 on the Sony.

As you can see, no issues with sharpness either side wide open. I'd say that the Sony 50 is a bit more well behaved when it comes to handling colour fringing, especially purple fringing which the Noctilux is much worse at.

The minimum focus distance is better on the Sony 50 than the Leica which is my only real negative for the Leica outside of its weight. The M11 + Noctilux is a very heavy combo which has very limited ergonomics vs the Sony A1 which is designed around modern ergonomics.

Bokeh wise, noctilux is just a monster. It's the reason for buying such a lens and the way it makes more distant objects "pop" is legendary.

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to actually improve so I can go and take some proper photos!

Took a test shot scenario for anyone interested in the Sony A1 with 50mm f1.2 GM vs the M11 with Noctilux f0.95.

View attachment 397549

View attachment 397550
View attachment 397551

Focus point is the logo on both cameras - red dot on the Leica and A1 on the Sony.

As you can see, no issues with sharpness either side wide open. I'd say that the Sony 50 is a bit more well behaved when it comes to handling colour fringing, especially purple fringing which the Noctilux is much worse at.

The minimum focus distance is better on the Sony 50 than the Leica which is my only real negative for the Leica outside of its weight. The M11 + Noctilux is a very heavy combo which has very limited ergonomics vs the Sony A1 which is designed around modern ergonomics.

Bokeh wise, noctilux is just a monster. It's the reason for buying such a lens and the way it makes more distant objects "pop" is legendary.

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to actually improve so I can go and take some proper photos!
Difficult to judge as they’re obviously taken at different distances but the Noctilux does have lovely bokeh.

Last edited:

View attachment 397549

View attachment 397550
View attachment 397551

I prefer the shot taken with the A1 - but I think it's due to the Sony logo from the strap (rather than any other factors) in the the image taken with the M11 - it's a huge distraction.

I'm going to be having a fortnight in North Wales in October so I'm thinking of hiring a decent lens to take with me as I can't really afford to buy a new one at the moment. I currently have the A7ii with 28-70 kit lens, and am finding it hard to decide between 1 of 2 lenses to take with me, either the Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM or the Sony FE 24-105 f/4 G. Any suggestions? 95% of the pictures I'll be taking are landscapes and buildings with possibly the odd bit of street photography.

They're odd looking dogs you're meeting on the walk :LOL:

Great set of shots (our dog would not have been happy, cats and cows are the two animals that he seems to dislike, and just has to bark at)!
Haha, we keep our dog away from the cows so we don't spook them. My wife took Betty away whilst I took the photos (y)
I'm going to be having a fortnight in North Wales in October so I'm thinking of hiring a decent lens to take with me as I can't really afford to buy a new one at the moment. I currently have the A7ii with 28-70 kit lens, and am finding it hard to decide between 1 of 2 lenses to take with me, either the Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM or the Sony FE 24-105 f/4 G. Any suggestions? 95% of the pictures I'll be taking are landscapes and buildings with possibly the odd bit of street photography.
I'd take the 24-105mm for the flexibility, unles you plan on doing any astro you'll likely be stopping down to f8-11 for landscapes so there'll not be a lot of difference in sharpness between the two.

Definitely the 24-105 F4. A great all rounder.

24-105 as a walkabout lens, 24 only being too wide for general use.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you still managed to enjoy it?
I've had a great trip down and it was definitely worth coming down for the full four days as the track is over 500 miles away, Thursday and Friday were good to get a feel of the place, see the riders and get some photos then on Saturday and Sunday it was mostly just watching the races. I took hardly any photos on the Saturday and Sunday as it's quite hard in the busy grandstand to do so, fantastic race on the Sunday.

I'm transferring the photos now which there's way, way too many of them as I just stuck it in 5fps mode rattled off shots so I'm hoping I can quickly whittle them down.

I've had a great trip down and it was definitely worth coming down for the full four days as the track is over 500 miles away, Thursday and Friday were good to get a feel of the place, see the riders and get some photos then on Saturday and Sunday it was mostly just watching the races. I took hardly any photos on the Saturday and Sunday as it's quite hard in the busy grandstand to do so, fantastic race on the Sunday.

I'm transferring the photos now which there's way, way too many of them as I just stuck it in 5fps mode rattled off shots so I'm hoping I can quickly whittle them down.
Ahh, didn't realise you went for the full weekend, great isn't it? The bikes are so fast, I noticed it the most stood just after the bridge half way down the Wellington straight, you can't see them coming so you're eyes don't have time to follow them so you just see a flash come out from under the bridge :cool:

Looking foward to seeing your photos (y)

Loving the detail, so clean and sharp when zooming in. Also liking the subtle colour processing, it all balances nicely along with the lovely bokeh.
Thanks very much.

Back