The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The best walkabout kit I've had was the a6600, 16-55 and 70-350.
I sometimes wish I still had it.
When I retired, my family chipped in and bought me an a7c kit.
I didn't want to appear ungrateful so I sold the a6600 setup.
Thing is I am getting an A7CR anyway
I can just use it in crop mode and have the same experience as A6600/6700.
So there isn't much point in owning a separate APS-C body (for me that is)

Thing is I am getting an A7CR anyway
I can just use it in crop mode and have the same experience as A6600/6700.
So there isn't much point in owning a separate APS-C body (for me that is)

I think two bodies only really work with prime shooters or two genres. ie wide zoom on a FF for landscape and a zoom on APSC for wildlife/birds, at the same time obviously.

Then naturally there's the cost implication too.

I think two bodies only really work with prime shooters or two genres. ie wide zoom on a FF for landscape and a zoom on APSC for wildlife/birds, at the same time obviously.

I used to have two bodies though recently I've only had one body.
I just put up with changing lenses.

Having said that I think two bodies would be nice to have especially as backup on long trips.

Having two cameras is useful in a number of particular situations - when constraints of time or conditions make changing lenses impractical.

I once went of a photography day on a small sailing boat on the Cornish coast - down one river, out into the estuary, then up another, taking shots of the scenery and wildlife along the way from viewpoints that were impossible on-land. Having two bodies, with a 24-70 on one and a 70-300 on the other meant no lens changing - which seemed a good idea given the occasional (an unpredictable) dose of salt water spray!

I use 2 kits.
The a1 kit for the times I'm out and about specifically to take photos - landscape and wildlife.
The a7c kit in my messenger bag when I have to travel light in the campervan - doesn't take up as much space

This place is GAS central!
now I am thinking if should buy the A1 again :facepalm:
It is lethal, I still blame @trevorbray for my 35mm and 50mm purchases :ROFLMAO:

I also keep eyeing up the 16-35mm GM II and the 20-70mm :facepalm:

It is lethal, I still blame @trevorbray for my 35mm and 50mm purchases :ROFLMAO:

I also keep eyeing up the 16-35mm GM II and the 20-70mm :facepalm:

But Toby you are the classic 'I can think I can get away with it' buyer.

Choice of two lenses. You buy the cheaper item, and then live with it for a bit, before getting disillusioned, then spotting flaws, trying to convince yourself that it is ok and losing the argument in your head. End up selling it for the more expensive item - just buy the proper tool for the job in the first place ;) You'd have a lot less GAS and spend more time taking photos rather than analysing them New Years Resolution - Buy the right one in the first place and don't be tight about it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@trevorbray is just a magpie, something new and shiney from any manufacturer :wideyed: (except Canon it seems) and it finds its way into his bag!!! Not sure if there is a New Years Resolution to fix his issues :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've certainly been a magpie in the past and suffered severe bouts of GAS, but about 18 months ago I gave myself a good talking to, and haven't upgraded any gear - am I cured, doubt it, but what I want costs so much ££££ I can't afford it at the moment.................................

Last edited:
do share how that works.... I have been talking to myself for 10 years and still can't help myself!

I'm still in the pilot phase!!!

I just had a good think about what I shoot and the focal lengths I needed, and how many systems I needed. Then I sold off all the digital kit I didn't need, added one GFX lens and thats been it. I have bought a couple of cheap old MF lenses just to play with in the meantime but nothing like the dollars you Sony guys love to splurge :ROFLMAO:

So my entire digital kit list (excluding the Sony ZV-1 which is purely for work)

GFX50S + GF30mm, GF45mm, GF63mm, GF100-200mm
X100F + Wide Angle Converter + Teleconverter
X100 - I'm keeping this cos its lovely!!

So single most of my shooting is in the range 24-50mm (FF) my kit covers this.

Tthe only thing I have a bit of lust for is a GFX100 II, because this would give me much faster AF, an amazing EVF and IBIS, and I can use my Tilt-EVF adapter on it. but at £7K it can stay in the shop, knowing that in 12 months time a Fuji promotion combined with Black Friday will have it at a much more manageable price.

I also like the Leica Q2/Q3 but having used the GFX50S + GF45mm as my sole camera gear for a week in Malta, I 'think' I can give them a swerve.

But unlike some of you I don't shoot a wide variety of focal lengths, so I don't have to worry about telephoto lenses or super wide angle

Last edited:
But Toby you are the classic 'I can think I can get away with it' buyer.

Choice of two lenses. You buy the cheaper item, and then live with it for a bit, before getting disillusioned, then spotting flaws, trying to convince yourself that it is ok and losing the argument in your head. End up selling it for the more expensive item - just buy the proper tool for the job in the first place
I’m not sure what you mean by the first sentence?

I’d always buy the better one if I could, but often the finances aren’t there and so I buy the cheaper one to tide me over until I can afford the better one. I appreciate this costs more in the long run, but I’m too impatient to wait :facepalm: :LOL:

I just had a good think about what I shoot and the focal lengths I needed, and how many systems I needed. Then I sold off all the digital kit I didn't need, added one GFX lens and thats been it. I have bought a couple of cheap old MF lenses just to play with in the meantime but nothing like the dollars you Sony guys love to splurge :ROFLMAO:

So my entire digital kit list (excluding the Sony ZV-1 which is purely for work)

So single most of my shooting is in teh range 24-50mm (FF) my kit covers this.

Tthe only thing I have a bit of lust for is a GFX100 II, because this would give me much faster AF, an amazing EVF and IBIS, and I can use my Tilt-EVF adapter on it. but at £7K it can stay in the shop, knowing that in 12 months time a Fuji promotion combined with Black Friday will have it at a much more manageable price.

I also like the Leica Q2/Q3 but having used the GFX50S + GF45mm as my sole camera gear for a week in Malta, I 'think' I can give them a swerve.

But unlike some of you I don't shoot a wide variety of focal lengths, so I don't have to worry about telephoto lenses or super wide angle

yeah I have quite a wide variety of lenses.... I need to sit down and soul search a little bit I guess and figure out my "main" gear like you have done.

As you would not let me take care of your one for you, I have been keeping an eye on WEX and MPB in particular for an FE 35mm/1.8

Wex had an open box return for £430 for the last few days and I just happened to notice they were offering 20% off it today.

So well happy at £343 for an almost new one

Well found. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it :D

Sometimes @Mr Perceptive tags me in the Medium Format thread. I'm not sure if it's to see his images or tempt me into a simple MF kit :ROFLMAO:

MF gear is another temptation I have long resisted!
the GFX100s is starting look kinda affordable... they have that 400mm lens coming out... the 55mm f1.7 looks super tempting too... oh dear!

but if I add up all the costs its a fair bit more than my FF gear for less coverage... so I have resisted it so far!

If I was in he market (I'm not) I think the Hasselblad would be the first I'd look at as it is IMO good looking kit.

No real native Astro lenses in the GFX line up, otherwise with your limited prime selection you would be an excellent candidate!
I have thought about this too! :facepalm:

plus the 55mm or 45mm depending on your preference will do well :D

If I was in he market (I'm not) I think the Hasselblad would be the first I'd look at as it is IMO good looking kit.

Only if yoiu have deep pockets, makes the Fuji offering look cost effective

the GFX100s is starting look kinda affordable... they have that 400mm lens coming out... the 55mm f1.7 looks super tempting too... oh dear!

but if I add up all the costs its a fair bit more than my FF gear for less coverage... so I have resisted it so far!

Ha ha - @trevorbray sucummbed (again) in the Black Friday deals - there are rumours of a GFX100S II coming shortly, perhaps that the reason for the BF deals. I would recommend you not trying the new GFX100 II as once you've seen the massive bright EVF you will wnat one!!!

All things are relative and remember I have a 10 + year old A7 so I've saved a bit over those years.

Its the leaf shutters in the native glass that increases the system costs considerably. If you shot at a single focal length then its probably bearable, and I agree its lovely looking kit, nice in the hand too. It would be easier to adapt you arsenal of MF glass onto the GFX as well.

So single most of my shooting is in the range 24-50mm (FF) my kit covers this.

I decluttered my gear a while back, I now have the least amount of kit I've had for a long time. I don't think I'll be adding anymore, just 'swapping' what I already have, unless my 6 numbers come up in which case I could be tempted by the 300mm f2.8 ;)

When I get around to it most of my film era primes will be going and my X100f as it's just not getting used. I'll then look at slimming down my MFT kit as I have 4 cameras and quite a few lenses, two MFT cameras should be enough for me.

Its the leaf shutters in the native glass that increases the system costs considerably. If you shot at a single focal length then its probably bearable, and I agree its lovely looking kit, nice in the hand too. It would be easier to adapt you arsenal of MF glass onto the GFX as well.
Great for work with studio lights, otherwise a very expensive outlay... Global shutters will obsolete it soon

We went to a service last night and Mrs WW took some pictures and video and they're heic rather than jpeg. PITA as I can't find any way to open them. I've posted a thread asking about this but if anyone has a smartphone it may be worthwhile to be aware of this issue which comes after a software update just in case you take a picture and wonder why you can't open it on your pc.

PITA!

We went to a service last night and Mrs WW took some pictures and video and they're heic rather than jpeg. PITA as I can't find any way to open them. I've posted a thread asking about this but if anyone has a smartphone it may be worthwhile to be aware of this issue which comes after a software update just in case you take a picture and wonder why you can't open it on your pc.

PITA!
I can open heic on Mac, if you like you can send them to me and I can convert them to jpeg?

I can open heic on Mac, if you like you can send them to me and I can convert them to jpeg?

That's very good of you.

After mam died we were invited to a remembrance service last night sponsored by the funeral company and we took an old chap from church who's wife had died. Mrs WW took some pictures of the messages we put on the Xmas tree and also of the candles we lit as our loved ones name were read out. So, this is not something we can recreate and I'm upset that at the mo we can not forward the pictures to the guy we took. Mrs WW is upset as she thinks it's her fault but really it isn't, the settings have just changed from jpeg to this new format as a part of a software update. Unfortunately this software update has happened whilst some other devices can't open these files. PS2023 wont touch them and so far I've only been able to open them using "clipchamp." I couldn't see how to save them so all I could do is take a screen shot which results in quite a small image.

So, thank you. How can we do this?

Just checked and there are 7 pictures.

Irfanview? It's like the swiss army knife of image files.

Tried that and unfortunately it doesn't even display the filenames.

That's very good of you.

After mam died we were invited to a remembrance service last night sponsored by the funeral company and we took an old chap from church who's wife had died. Mrs WW took some pictures of the messages we put on the Xmas tree and also of the candles we lit as our loved ones name were read out. So, this is not something we can recreate and I'm upset that at the mo we can not forward the pictures to the guy we took. Mrs WW is upset as she thinks it's her fault but really it isn't, the settings have just changed from jpeg to this new format as a part of a software update. Unfortunately this software update has happened whilst some other devices can't open these files. PS2023 wont touch them and so far I've only been able to open them using "clipchamp." I couldn't see how to save them so all I could do is take a screen shot which results in quite a small image.

So, thank you. How can we do this?

Just checked and there are 7 pictures.

Tried that and unfortunately it doesn't even display the filenames.
No problem, I’ll PM you my email.

Ah you already have a helper.... I replied on your other new thread about HEIC files.

You can use sendgb to share files

No real native Astro lenses in the GFX line up, otherwise with your limited prime selection you would be an excellent candidate!

Honestly, I'm not going anywhere. But it is a nice thought and it is a nice thread to keep up with too.

A7Riii with the 35GM is just perfect for me right now. That is my main kit. CV40/1.2E if I fancy doing some manual focus.
24GM for my night skies.
FE85 mainly for my car related stuff.
Tamron 70-180/2.8 (or the FE85) for longer landscape/woodland stuff depending on what size/weight I want to carry.
A7 as a second body with the 'other' lens :)

Back