The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

All my life I've had the opposite problem as I struggle to keep weight on. Years back I went through a phase of trying to bulk up by force feeding myself and exercising and I did gain a little weight and muscles became more defined but it was very hard to keep all that up. In recent times with all the family trouble I've lost weight again.

Good luck with it.
Thanks. I just have to look at a bar of chocolate and I put a pound on :runaway:

Sub £3k for an A1 would be an unbelievable price, condition depending of course.

I can get it for £3.4k from MPB with their student discount.
I have seen a couple go on eBay for £3.2k
So we are not far off £3k

I would like to have two bodies longer term....
Thinking of something like Z8 + A7CR or A1 + A7CR

I'm pretty much decided on z400/4.5 or FE300/2.8 I think.

More I look at a7rv more I like it. A1ii with all the usability improvements of A7rv will most likely be out my price range.

So basically till I can make my mind up I'm sticking with A7iv
Plus I need to collect a few more pennies in the meantime to afford all that anyway

Last edited:
Currently pairing my a9 with a7iii. My 3 lens set-up for 2024 being the Sigma 35/85mm and the 70-200mm f4. I am on the lookout for either the a1 or a7r3, just want a few more pixels to crop with..

More I look at a7rv more I like it. A1ii with all the usability improvements of A7rv will most likely be out my price range.

Plus I need to collect a few more pennies in the meantime to afford all that anyway
I think the 300mm f2.8 is the better lens, especially with TC's but it's far from cheap and at double the cost of the Nikon doesn't represent good value imo. Of course, this is before seeing comparison reviews seeing how they compare in AF, IQ etc etc.

The A7RV looks great, but I couldn't go back to blackout shooting and having to use the mechanical shutter. If and when the A1ii comes out no doubt it'll be amazing, but it will be very expensive and the A1 gives me everything I need.

In an ideal world I'd have a second body, but it'd have to be another A1 and it's too expensive to be a paperweight for 90% of the year.

What is the difference between the Sony A7R IV and Sony A7R IVa?
Has better LCD screen as mentioned above.
I guess Sony ran out of their stock pile of their old s*** LCDs and now they going through the next stock pile of their less s*** LCDs

and some other small changes.

no other changes as far as I am aware :)

Last edited:

My 2 body setup is the a1 + a7c
I'll probably go for the a7cii rather than the a7cR

We decided to go for a New Years Day walk at the seaside. Saltburn was quite busy.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

On the pier.

DSC04246.jpg

Looking back to land there were big queues at the fish and chip and pasty shops. We'd brought our own food, sandwiches, fruit and tea and coffee.

DSC04254.jpg

I did a couple of panos.

Untitled_Panorama-1-2.jpg

Untitled_Panorama-2.jpg

Last edited:
We decided to go for a New Years Day walk at the seaside. Saltburn was quite busy.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

On the pier.

View attachment 410816

Looking back to land there were big queues at the fish and chip and pasty shops. We'd brought our own food, sandwiches, fruit and tea and coffee.

View attachment 410807

I did a couple of panos.

View attachment 410808

View attachment 410805

Nice Alan :)

I went out for a sunrise which was..... average. Missus done a gammon dinner for people so I got another little job ticked off on her new to her car.

We stayed up to see the fireworks and so were a little late getting up and out. Saltburn was quite busy so I was glad I hadn't suggested getting fish and chips as the queues were big. We're having different menus today, Mrs WW is having noodles and I'm having something a little more English, chips in gravy :D

My Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 has possibly been my most used lens ever but more recently I've been choosing other lenses but today I got the trusty Voigtlander out again.

This is not a keeper as she's half in light and half in shadow but I just had to grab this shot of Mrs WW with a banana in her hand because last night "And now for something completely different" was on TV after the fireworks and included the sketch about defending yourself from an assailant armed with various items of fruit... and indeed they decided to train for being attacked with a banana.

DSC04245.jpg

I'd have loved a walk today, but we're both really lousy with the cold and have barely moved. I sound about ready to start advertising Carlsberg.

Has better LCD screen as mentioned above.
I guess Sony ran out of their stock pile of their old s*** LCDs and now they going through the next stock pile of their less s*** LCDs

no other changes as far as I am aware :)
Does the camera make the full use of the increased LCD resolution or just scale it up from old numbers?

Does the Sony A7CR suffer banding indoors, with the electronic shutter, or do we have to move to an even higher price bracket?

Does the Sony A7CR suffer banding indoors, with the electronic shutter, or do we have to move to an even higher price bracket?
Yes all Sony cameras apart from A9 series and A1 series will suffer from it.
Even these cameras can run into this issue but less so.

If you really want no banding whatsoever with electronic shutter you need a global shutter camera like the A9III

Any electronic shutter except global shutter can suffer banding, those with slower readout times (including the A7CR) are more prone.

One way to avoid having to worry about banding with an electronic shutter is to stick to a quiet mechanical shutter, if you're lucky enough to have a camera with a quiet mechanical shutter.

One way to avoid having to worry about banding with an electronic shutter is to stick to a quiet mechanical shutter, if you're lucky enough to have a camera with a quiet mechanical shutter.
The only quiet mechanical shutters are leaf shutters, ‘normal’ mechanical shutters just vary in degrees of loudness but I’ve not heard one that’s quiet?

The only quiet mechanical shutters are leaf shutters, ‘normal’ mechanical shutters just vary in degrees of loudness but I’ve not heard one that’s quiet?

I suppose it depends what level of noise is acceptable. My X100f is pretty quiet as are a couple of my MFT cameras, much quieter than my A7.

I can tolerate mechanical to no more than 3fps if the subject is moving or about to move anywhere on a mirrorless camera

So basically fine for landscape / still portrait / product work.

Even if you can tolerate higher why would you want to prematurely kill the shutter this way?

Yes all Sony cameras apart from A9 series and A1 series will suffer from it.
Even these cameras can run into this issue but less so.

If you really want no banding whatsoever with electronic shutter you need a global shutter camera like the A9III
just switch off the bloody lights, and use your own if needed it. I make this crystal clear to all clients right from the start. Their practical lights always look very cheap and nasty.

just switch off the bloody lights, and use your own if needed it. I make this crystal clear to all clients right from the start. Their practical lights always look very cheap and nasty.
not always an option for example when you are shooting at large venues with no control of the event/show/place organisation.

not always an option for example when you are shooting at large venues with no control of the event/show/place organisation.
I was going to say the same, 99% of the time I have no control of the light.

I can tolerate mechanical to no more than 3fps if the subject is moving or about to move anywhere on a mirrorless camera

Even if you can tolerate higher why would you want to prematurely kill the shutter this way?

Because sometimes where you are makes the choice for you.

Sometimes I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not?

If you're an amateur then you use higher because you want to, it's a hobby, and occasionally rattling off an extra 10-20 from the 200,000+ shutter count is largely irrelevant.
If you're a pro then you use higher because you are being paid to get the shot, and a higher frame rate in some situations increases the chance of getting exactly the image your client wants - and you've priced the job accordingly to allow for any extra 'wear and tear' on equipment.

Sometimes I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not?
Entirely serious. at 500-1000 extra mechanical shutter images per day you will be well on your way to kill your camera real soon.

If you're an amateur then you use higher because you want to
I doubt EVF blackout is something you specifically want to experience in that scenario

If you're a pro then you use higher because you are being paid to get the shot,
again high fps evf lag and blackout will do nothing but hurt your chances of even getting subject in the middle of the frame quite severely. That's pretty much why anyone shooting any paid serious action already moved on to stacked sensor cameras, so nobody is really using mechanic anymore... Not sure why I even need to explain the absolutely obvious like it is some black magic.

again high fps evf lag and blackout will do nothing but hurt your chances of even getting subject in the middle of the frame quite severely. That's pretty much why anyone shooting any paid serious action already moved on to stacked sensor cameras, so nobody is really using mechanic anymore... Not sure why I even need to explain the absolutely obvious like it is some black magic.
It's quite possible to shoot well above 3 fps with both mechanical electronic shutter before evf lag and blackout become an issue - even on my old A6000 (an entry level camera from 2014) it's only at 10+fps you have an issue, 8fps is fine. No black magic involved, just technology :)

Entirely serious. at 500-1000 extra mechanical shutter images per day you will be well on your way to kill your camera real soon.
A camera is a tool to be used, 99.9% of all people shooting sports, moving wildlife etc are going to shoot at well over 3fps. If you're an amateur you're not going to be wracking up 500-1000 images/day. If you're a pro you factor in wear and tear into your business costs.

To not use your camera through fear of wear and tear is crazy imo, it's like buying a car and not driving it because you don't want to wear your tyres.

I doubt EVF blackout is something you specifically want to experience in that scenario
I'd rather experience blackout than miss a shot. I never found it that distracting, the blackout shooting a low shutter speed was a bit more of a nuisance.

Plenty of people using DSLRs still without an issue, plenty of people using mirrorless without blackout free shooting having no issues either. Blackout free shooting with mimimal lag makes life easier, but it's not as though it's impossible without these things.

I dread to think how many clicks my A7 has on the clock. I've taken more pictures with it than any other camera I've had and I've possibly taken more than with all the other cameras I've had put together.

I'll be gutted when it conks.

If you're an amateur then you use higher because you want to, it's a hobby, and occasionally rattling off an extra 10-20 from the 200,000+ shutter count is largely irrelevant.
If you're a pro then you use higher because you are being paid to get the shot, and a higher frame rate in some situations increases the chance of getting exactly the image your client wants - and you've priced the job accordingly to allow for any extra 'wear and tear' on equipment.

How dare you bring common sense and rationality into this! This is an internet forum! Pull yourself together man... and RANT!

How dare you bring common sense and rationality into this! This is an internet forum! Pull yourself together man... and RANT!
I demand the right to be calm and rational whenever I want - and I'll not have some keyboard warrior who hides behind the picture of a plastic dog to tell me otherwise!!

(Rant as requested :LOL:)

PS: Happy New Year to everyone!

I demand the right to be calm and rational whenever I want - and I'll not have some keyboard warrior who hides behind the picture of a plastic dog to tell me otherwise!!

(Rant as requested :LOL:)

PS: Happy New Year to everyone!

Normal Service has been restored. Thank You.

And I'm not just a plastic dog. I'm a plastic dog lamp.

Back