The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I use bbf and sometimes knock the toggle button and move the focus points.

Some from our recent camping trip. A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2.

Mrs WW likes to cook. In this instance fried rice, veggie sausage and tomato and various spicy things. It was yum yum unlike the weather, heavy rain and high winds. We spent much of the night fighting the weather and mopping up. We and everything we had was covered in mud and we had a wonderful time :D

DSC05291.jpg

On to Whitby on the way home. I took the same picture a while back with the Pergear 35mm f1.4 and the technical differences between these two lenses are pretty obvious but the most obvious differences between the two photos (if you aren't pixel peeping) are the light and general weather.

DSC05359.jpg

It was brighter today but windy again. A pan.

1-Untitled_Panorama-2.jpg

Last edited:
Some from our recent camping trip. A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2.

Mrs WW likes to cook. In this instance fried rice, veggie sausage and tomato and various spicy things. It was yum yum unlike the weather, heavy rain and high winds. We spent much of the night fighting the weather and mopping up. We and everything we had was covered in mud and we had a wonderful time :D

View attachment 420529

On to Whitby on the way home. I took the same picture a while back with the Pergear 35mm f1.4 and the technical differences between these two lenses are pretty obvious but the most obvious differences between the two photos (if you aren't pixel peeping) are the light and general weather.

View attachment 420525

It was brighter today but windy again. A pan.

View attachment 420527
Ffs I can barely get my missus to knock up a quick ham sandwich never mind fried rice.

Ffs I can barely get my missus to knock up a quick ham sandwich never mind fried rice.

She's slowly taken over. When she first came I cooked just about everything but now I hardly get into the kitchen. She cooks some lovely things my favorites being the fried rice, sweet and sour, a sort of spicy fried thing with corn in it and dorayaki. The dorayaki must be a Thai version as it looks nothing like the Japanese version and is really just a posh potato cake with something in the middle.

We had fish and chips in Whitby and as you can see there's a fair on 18/19th May.

DSC05289.jpg

1-DSC05289.jpg

19th is my birthday and I already have plans.

That’s interesting, I’m really suprised at that.
It’s lighter but as you can see not a lot of size difference. However, I found the 16-35mm GM II somehow felt lighter than the 16-35mm f4 ZA. I think it’s better balanced as the ZA is front heavy which in use makes it feel heavier (imo).

It’s lighter but as you can see not a lot of size difference. However, I found the 16-35mm GM II somehow felt lighter than the 16-35mm f4 ZA. I think it’s better balanced as the ZA is front heavy which in use makes it feel heavier (imo).
The front heavy lens issue is something I’ve noticed a lot lately since I moved over from m4/3, I keep going into different camera shops etc and getting a feel for the different lenses and some don’t seem well balanced at all, and then there’s others you think that’s going to be weighty and it’s hardly noticeable at all.

The front heavy lens issue is something I’ve noticed a lot lately since I moved over from m4/3, I keep going into different camera shops etc and getting a feel for the different lenses and some don’t seem well balanced at all, and then there’s others you think that’s going to be weighty and it’s hardly noticeable at all.

You're lucky. I wish there were camera shops here but then again I'd only buy more stuff :D

You're lucky. I wish there were camera shops here but then again I'd only buy more stuff :D
Same here. Harrison’s isn’t ‘that’ far away but it’s far enough to make it a chore, especially considering the traffic in Sheffield.

Same here. Harrison’s isn’t ‘that’ far away but it’s far enough to make it a chore, especially considering the traffic in Sheffield.

Going to a shop other than Currys would I suppose for me mean going to Durham, Leeds or Newcastle and whilst an hour or so drive might not seem a lot I really don't like going into cities.

There used to be three here, a Jessops, an independent who's name I forget and another who's name I forget. Forgetting... I forgot my lap top password yesterday, distracted or I'm getting old :D

You lads should think yourselves lucky in Northern Ireland we have 2 camera shops.

One small indepependent and one W.E.X that is it for the whole country. :ROFLMAO: We used to have a few Jessops but they were culled to just one shop donkeys years ago and the last remaining one closed a while back.

The small independent carrys a very limited range unless you want to buy a Canon something or other and the W.E.X is always sold out of pretty much anything I want to look at or buy.

Going to a shop other than Currys would I suppose for me mean going to Durham, Leeds or Newcastle and whilst an hour or so drive might not seem a lot I really don't like going into cities.

There used to be three here, a Jessops, an independent who's name I forget and another who's name I forget. Forgetting... I forgot my lap top password yesterday, distracted or I'm getting old :D
We have a Currys, but unless you want a compact camera or entry level DSLR then forget it. We used to have Jessops and LCE but they're long gone.

Is the 4th shot coming down through the craners?

Mentioned a few pages back that I was thinking of getting my first ever Sony MILC in the Sony A6700 for mostly video work. Well, I bit the bullet and sold off some older M43 gear (and a little Nikon DSLR gear) that I wasn't using any more, and purchased the following which arrived on Saturday morning.

Sony A6700 Body
Sony E 18-135 F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony E 10-20 F4 PZ
Sony E 15mm F1.4 G
Spare Sony NP-FZ100 battery
Dual USB-C Battery charger.

First impressions. Incredibly small and light, and in fact much more than my OM-1 with 12-100 F4. Yes OK not a fair comparison as the OM-1 is their top tier camera and built like a brick outhouse with many features not present on the Sony (5mp viewfinder, 1.62mp rear screen, dual card slots, 50 FPS in Raw shooting, amazing IBIS etc), but even so, over 100g lighter. Also, the 18-135 is very small and light as well compared to my usual Olympus 12-100 F4 Pro. OK, the 12-100 not only goes to 24mm (effective) at the wide end, but also is a constant F4 aperture (whereas the 18-135 is variable aperture) but still a very lightweight walkaround package.

Had a bit of a scare when I first opened the box and found that the camera didn't have a charger or even a USB-C cable in the box. At first I though someone had stolen them, but on checking online found out that's how Sony ships them - very weird and penny pinching. So I dug out my Olympus OM-1 AC Charger and cable (which charges at the preferred 9v 3A), and sure enough the charge light came on, then stayed on (overnight). When I went to turn the camera on in the morning (after 9 hours of charge), the camera just displayed the message "Battery Exhausted" - WTF I thought ! - Tried the second battery after charging it on the Neewer dual USB-C charger and same again "Battery Exhausted" I thought what are the chances of two batteries being duds, and immediately thought I had a dead camera. However again, checking online it seemed to be a fairy common occurrence, so I tried one of the tricks given of taking the battery out then turning the camera on for 20 seconds, then off, then popping the battery back in and hey presto, both batteries came to life and showed 100% charge. So not sure what the heck happened there ?

Anyway onto the camera. Much nicer to hold that I had imagined with a nice feeling grip and it didn't take long to work out how all the controls worked. Some very initial observations, were that the EVF I was expecting to be terrible (as it's only 2.36mp) and the lowest resolution of any of the cameras I own, but surprisingly it's not too bad at all. Yes it could do with more resolution but very useable (especially in bright light). The rear screen however (like the RX100 VII) is pretty crap with a very low resolution (just over 1mp I believe), and Sony certainly need to up that as this is supposed to be their flagship APS-C body.

As I'd purchased it mainly for video, I immediately set it to 4K 50p 10 bit 422 and shot some video of the dogs running around the garden, and as I'd hoped for the AF tracking was magnificent and tracked both of our black dogs perfectly and even locked onto their eye for the most part. This is in stark contrast to the OM-1 that seems to really struggle in Video AF tracking and constantly loses the dogs and fails to pick them back up requiring stopping shooting and re-locking focus each time. Like I'd said previously the OM-1 is an awesome image taking machine but it's Video capabilities are seriously lacking for a flagship camera body. Then I had my eureka moment, I sent the picture profile in video to PP11 (S-Cinetone) and wow....just wow, the resultant videos files look just like how i would have graded them in Davinci Studio. I can see S-Cinetone being my standard now and much less in the way of PP required.

Anyway I've rambled on long enough, and will no doubt that many questions in the next few weeks, so for now a quick obligatory image of the new take anywhere video set up.

Last edited:
OK, first of the many questions, in Sony vernacular IS XAVC HS equivalent to H265 and XAVC S - H264 please ?

Also, what would be a well regarded and small (similar to the 15mm F1.4 in size) 35mm or 50mm equivalent standard lens (so I guess a 27mm and / or 35mm in APS-C focal lengths) with a max aperture of say around F1.4-F2 ish please ?

Last edited:
Once of the very first images from my new A6700. Our Daisy

Back