The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Little shot from yesterday on the new A6700 when the wife and I went out for a stroll back to where we grew up in Lymm, Cheshire.

A6700545 by Andrew Ellis, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just posted this in the happy thread but thought I might post it here too.

It's my birthday today and as far as I can remember the first one alone as Mrs WW is in Thailand for 6 months looking after her mam and of course my mam who we looked after died last September. I wasn't really in a birthday mood but at church I got a lot of cards and was presented with this as everyone sang happy birthday.

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8, f5 and ISO 20,000, then ran through denoise.

View attachment 423355

It's massive and there's lots left for the tea/coffee morning.

Cheers everyone. If I could hand out cake to you all I would :D I certainly have plenty :D
Hoppy birdie 2 ewes Alan. :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

I got something photography related today and I'm impressed with it. I may go out and use it tomorrow.

PS.
The supplier sent me a one time password which I had to show to the delivery driver. I've never come across this before.

Last edited:
Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

I got something photography related today and I'm impressed with it. I may go out and use it tomorrow.

PS.
The supplier sent me a one time password which I had to show to the delivery driver. I've never come across this before.
Amazon have started doing this a lot with my orders of electrical goods of a certain value.

DPR awards the A9III Gold...

That's nice.

As it's very quiet...

A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 on a miserable dead light day.

DSC05667.jpg

Despite its issues (questionable aperture or light transmission and field curvature) I still think this Pergear is worth buying as it's nice to use, is tiny and offers "f1.4" and at that setting I think it's actually impressive. As a cheap fun 35mm I think it is worthwhile at the price. That picture above is stopped down though.

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I’m looking to add a macro lens to my Sony setup, could you offer some advice on the best lens to choose please?
I’m currently looking at the Sony 90mm macro or the Sony 70-200 f4 macro but am open to other suggestions if anything else is available.
Ps. I would mainly be using this for insects rather than static objects.
Many thanks

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I’m looking to add a macro lens to my Sony setup, could you offer some advice on the best lens to choose please?
I’m currently looking at the Sony 90mm macro or the Sony 70-200 f4 macro but am open to other suggestions if anything else is available.
Many thanks
The 70-200mm isn’t a true Macro so if that’s important then you can rule that one out. The Sony 90mm is an excellent lens. Another option would be to adapt the Sigma 105mm OS HSM Macro, I had this for Nikon and it’s an excellent performer.

Edit: just seen Sigma do a DG DN version of their Macro lens. I haven’t looked into it but I’d expect it to be very good.

Last edited:
The 70-200mm isn’t a true Macro so if that’s important then you can rule that one out. The Sony 90mm is an excellent lens. Another option would be to adapt the Sigma 105mm OS HSM Macro, I had this for Nikon and it’s an excellent performer.
Many thanks, that’s what was making me dubious of the 70-200, plus I’ve already got those focal lengths covered with other lenses.
I will have a look into the sigma, am I right in thinking with the adapter I’d still have the full data showing for the images?

What are your favourite budget/ bargain autofocus lenses for full frame? For example the Tamron 20mm 2.8 seems decent (or 24mm?) and the Samyang 35mm looks dinky and cheap.

So evidently not talking G Master rather sub £500 ideally.

Just compiling a list of lenses to look out for although primarily I'm not planning on kitting myself out with Sony lenses, just getting it for the channel... but hey, one or two lenses is ok right?

*It always starts like this then I end up with a working kit bag for each mount :D

Last edited:
Many thanks, that’s what was making me dubious of the 70-200, plus I’ve already got those focal lengths covered with other lenses.
I will have a look into the sigma, am I right in thinking with the adapter I’d still have the full data showing for the images?
I’ve just edited my post as I’ve just seen that Sigma do a DG DN native em-mount (y). If you use the old one with an adapter you should still get the EXIF (assuming you get an adapter with electronic contacts)

What are your favourite budget/ bargain autofocus lenses for full frame? For example the Tamron 20mm 2.8 seems decent. So evidently not talking G Master rather sub £500 ideally.

Just compiling a list of lenses to look out for although primarily I'm not planning on kitting myself out with Sony lenses, just getting it for the channel... but hey, one or two lenses is ok right?

*It always starts like this then I end up with a working kit bag for each mount :D
I always liked the Samyang 45mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 FE II. The Samyang 75mm f1.8 is also pretty decent.

Many thanks

I think it's important to think about what you're going to take pictures of. For example if it's bugs and the like a longer focal length may be better as you can be further away and have less chance of spooking a subject which may run or fly away. Another consideration could be perspective and for those reasons a longer focal length may be best. Also, is AF needed? If not you could look at some potentially cheaper MF / film era options.

For flowers and the like I really liked my Sigma 150mm f2.8 but these days all I have is a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1.

Sorry to be a pain I’ve just found this one in Sony mount,

Used Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sony​

Would this work directly without the adapter on full frame Sony?

What are your favourite budget/ bargain autofocus lenses for full frame? For example the Tamron 20mm 2.8 seems decent (or 24mm?) and the Samyang 35mm looks dinky and cheap.

For peanuts.... The Pergear 35mm f1.4 and TTArtisan 50mm f2. Maybe a couple of film era primes via a cheap dumb adapter :D

Many thanks
Sorry, I'm not a sony user, but if manual focus works for you Laowa offer very nice lenses.

Sorry to be a pain I’ve just found this one in Sony mount,

Used Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sony​

Would this work directly without the adapter on full frame Sony?
I'm pretty sure that's an A-mount lens so it wouldn't work on a Sony mirrorless camera without an adapter, the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro DG DN Art Lens is Sigma's only native 105mm F2.8 lens in FE-mount. You can see a list of Sigma E-mount lenses here:

Viltrox 20mm f/2.8 cheapest a.f lens you can buy for e-mount. Unreal value for money. Can be got direct from Viltrox for £117 including delivery. Out performs both the Tamron 20mm and the Samyang 18mm by a fair bit.

Samyang 75mm f/1.8 can also be bought very cheap and is often on sale.

Samyang 45mm f/1.8 is also great value.

Their are unfortunately quite a few dodgy copies of the Samyang lenses so buy from somewhere that offers a hassle free returns process.

Last edited:
Viltrox 20mm f/2.8 cheapest a.f lens you can buy for e-mount. Unreal value for money. Can be got direct from Viltrox for £117 including delivery. Out performs both the Tamron 20mm and the Samyang 18mm by a fair bit.

Samyang 75mm f/1.8 can also be bought very cheap and is often on sale.

Samyang 45mm f/1.8 is also great value.

Their are unfortunately quite a few dodgy copies of the Samyang lenses so buy from somewhere that offers a hassle free returns process.
I believe Viltrox are sending me the 20mm, I say believe because they said they would send it but these companies tend to send the wrong thing

Sorry, I'm not a sony user, but if manual focus works for you Laowa offer very nice lenses.
Hi, many thanks, that’s an interesting option.
I remember seeing some great shots on the forum having been taken with some of the laowa macro lenses, will definitely look into those.

I'm pretty sure that's an A-mount lens so it wouldn't work on a Sony mirrorless camera without an adapter, the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro DG DN Art Lens is Sigma's only native 105mm F2.8 lens in FE-mount. You can see a list of Sigma E-mount lenses here:

That’s brilliant, thank you, I will save that for future reference.

Just about everything is loading slow for me. It's as if there's been a spot of rain somewhere...

We've had biblical rain here. Maybe something important got flooded.

Just watched it.

I'd consider it if instead of being a full range zoom, it was JUST 24mm, 35mm & 50mm ;)

What? No 28mm setting?

:D

I've no doubt it's a nice lens but being physically shortest at 50mm and extending to 24mm seems rather odd to me. As I included the 28-70mm kit lens above I'll add that that lenses in / out action through the zoom range also seems odd.

I always feel a bit uncomfortable with zooms though. I have some free time tomorrow and was thinking of going out with a camera and if I do I doubt I'll be taking a zoom. I do get the flexibility they offer but I think I'm happier with a fixed length lens.

Back