The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

.... I personally dont think buying into Sonys FE system is about size and weight, there are other bigger advantages. These guys are just driving clicks ;)

Last edited:
.... I personally dont think buying into Sonys FE system is about size and weight, there are other bigger advantages. These guys are just driving clicks ;)
I agree, I think people are thinking generation II was like the first A7 which was at the time the worlds smallest FF mirrorless body I believe?

For me its about nigth and day difference in Sensor Tech(literelly ie turn darks into light with a sony sensor!)

The perfect camera for me would be a 5d3 with electronic viewfinder and a sony sensor onboard! o and ditch the mirror!
But it'd be DSLR sized, give me a CSC the size SLR's used to be :D Remember the A7 isn't small, it's just that DSLR's got big.

A7 is almost perfect for me, all it needs is a button to toggle evf/screen and a fully articulated screen, maybe faster focus too :D and of course aperture, shutter and ISO dials might be nice but too late now.

The big problem here is the number of childish morons who think that what works for them must work for everyone else, and what doesn't work for them must be absolutely merit-less crap. The camera world is sadly full of them. They take anything that doesn't meet their personal needs as some kind of personal attack on themselves.

Now I could worry about this sub-human's opinion, I could write an equally b******t article highlighting the many many flaws of DSLRs or fuji cameras and why they don't work for me - and by extension, anyone ever - or I could just think "oh, it's another moron" and get on with my life.

I think I'll do the last one.

But it'd be DSLR sized, give me a CSC the size SLR's used to be :D Remember the A7 isn't small, it's just that DSLR's got big.

A7 is almost perfect for me, all it needs is a button to toggle evf/screen and a fully articulated screen, maybe faster focus too :D and of course aperture, shutter and ISO dials might be nice but too late now.

Front and rear dials with the ISO controlled on the wheel work perfectly for me. Shooting like this in manual now feels like second nature. Very tempted to try the old a7r from wex at £899 with a free bag :)

The big problem here is the number of childish morons who think that what works for them must work for everyone else, and what doesn't work for them must be absolutely merit-less crap. The camera world is sadly full of them. They take anything that doesn't meet their personal needs as some kind of personal attack on themselves.

Now I could worry about this sub-human's opinion, I could write an equally b******t article highlighting the many many flaws of DSLRs or fuji cameras and why they don't work for me - and by extension, anyone ever - or I could just think "oh, it's another moron" and get on with my life.

I think I'll do the last one.

:LOL: Calm down, its only the internet. Thats what articles like this are designed to do, get attention. Dont let it get to you.

Front and rear dials with the ISO controlled on the wheel work perfectly for me. Shooting like this in manual now feels like second nature. Very tempted to try the old a7r from wex at £899 with a free bag :)

You have the A7rii already though? I personally wouldnt waste the money. Rather spend on lenses.

The perfect camera for me would be a 5d3 with electronic viewfinder and a sony sensor onboard! o and ditch the mirror!

I dont think theres such a thing for me because theres always the next best thing. Thats the way with technology. At the moment Nikon DSLRs work for me as a workhorse and Ive stuck with them for a few years now and have recently added the older D700 because I liked that camera so much. I switch my second system about quite a bit when the gas hits though. All a bit of fun. (y)

Had one, its nice. I went for the LM 40 1.4 SC...

I'm not sure which one it is I think its the nokton one its in a local camera shop at a bargain price and I don't have a 40 so paired with the a7ii could be a good one ....

Interesting results. Have to say I prefer NIkon's design plan for a better image quality across the whole frame instead of more peak sharpness in the middle. I mean, when did anyone last look at a photo from a modern lens on a modern camera and say "Gee I wish it was sharper in the centre?" On that basis I'd go Nikon > Sony > Canon, but let's be honest, all 3 are better lenses than I am a photographer.

:LOL: Calm down, its only the internet. Thats what articles like this are designed to do, get attention. Dont let it get to you.
Not angry, more just sad that this poorly written nonsense passes as "news" on a major site nowadays. "Breaking news - man doesn't like camera, shouts at mountain."

Expensive day today.

Decided to go and get the FE 16-35mm this morning (been umming and arring for a while on which wide zoom to go for).
Whilst in LCE the Missus liked the Tamron 70-300 vc, so got that as well (got a very good price on these two together though).
Then we got home and Missus wanted a teleconverter for her new lens. The Kenko Pro300 x2 was ordered (it's just to shoot the moon, so f11 and manual focus will be perfect).
Whilst ordering the teleconverter from Wex, I thought I'd order a Lee Foundation kit, along with wide angle adapter for my new lens and a standard 67mm adapter for my 24-70.
My existing filters are 85mm, so thought I'd better order a few 100mm for new holder. Ordered a Hitech reverse grad 0.6 and a soft 0.6 (both 100 x 150mm) from Amazon.
Then I decided I "needed" a filter for long exposure, so ordered a 16 stop Firecrest and a 7 stop for good measure (from LCE online as only place I could find 16 stop Firecrest).

I tried the FE 70-200 today as well - very impressive lens. Could be the next purchase, but I'll let my bank account recover a little first :)

Quick question....... been asked by a friend and got me thinking .......

he is a wedding tog second shooter and asked my advice on if he should get a first gen a7r or a first gen a7s ...... I honestly said to him I don't know I believe the r had a few probs to start with and I haven't used any of the first gen cameras anyone help????

is the a7s better af @twist I know they both use phase but wasn't sure of the differences tbh
as I think we have discussed before when the 7r is scaled to a7s the noise is v similar

is the a7s better af @twist I know they both use phase but wasn't sure of the differences tbh
as I think we have discussed before when the 7r is scaled to a7s the noise is v similar

No. They both use contrast only but the a7s focuses in much lower EV. It's fairly close (iso) but the a7s is better, I like the way the a7s renders but the a7r is also good. The R also suffers shutter shock is very loud and the S has silent shutter and quieter mechanical plus way better video.

Last edited:
so I think the a7s he found was £1000 and the a7r is £799 worth the extra you reckon?

for some reason he cant find one cheaper I haven't looked around tbh and theres none for sale on here

that's awesome mate cheers nice to hear you rate it .... see I keep forgetting manual focus lol !!!!!! I'm going to tell him the s I think the R is too big a risk tbh

Back