The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

F4 it is then..

the classic a mount beercan is 60-90quid.

on the positive side people have found they can use the focus hold button on the gm 85 for eye af which is neat.

less neat is alot of the 85mm gm lenses make a scraping sound because they are scraping paint on the inside... :/

Apparently all UK GM shipments lenses have been sent back to Sony Japan ..... Oh dear not a good start.
Deliveries now expected May/June :(

oh dear but at least they seem to be doing the right thing, some others (Nikon?) might be tempted to keep quiet and bring out a new fixed model :D

Apparently all UK GM shipments lenses have been sent back to Sony Japan ..... Oh dear not a good start.
Deliveries now expected May/June :(

Quality, £2k+ lenses. I seem to recall the RX1rii was also recalled due to QC issues and the A7r shutter shock issue and the SLT black EVF with flashes that they fixed by replacing rather than FW, oh, and the Sony 35 1.4 issues etc etc. Cmon Alan, its not just Canikon... all manufacturers have issues. ;)

Last edited:
One of the bosses from Jessops told me they had quality issues and a recall was imminent guessing its happening .....

Quality, £2k+ lenses. I seem to recall the RX1rii was also recalled due to QC issues and the A7r shutter shock issue and the SLT black EVF with flashes that they fixed by replacing rather than FW, oh, and the Sony 35 1.4 issues etc etc. Cmon Alan, its not just Canikon... all manufacturers have issues. ;)

Here, here, some of the bashing of poor QC by every other manufacturer who has ever made a camera or lens on this thread is a bit much, realistically poor QC issues probably relate more to the wide scale move of manufacturing to cheaper factories over the last 5-6 years rather than anything brand specific.

Here, here, some of the bashing of poor QC by every other manufacturer who has ever made a camera or lens on this thread is a bit much, realistically poor QC issues probably relate more to the wide scale move of manufacturing to cheaper factories over the last 5-6 years rather than anything brand specific.
If you're fazed by my Nikon comment above it was one of those new fangled joke thingies on account of them doing that with bodies and folk here (in a Sony thread) feeling the need to say that Nikon are the beez every few posts. Granted I'm still getting the hang of them (joke thingies) but hopefully the little yellow face thingie is a bit of a give away.

Last edited:
anyone bought the a6300 yet?????? is it a good upgrade over the a6000???

If you're fazed by my Nikon comment above it was one of those new fangled joke thingies on account of them doing that with bodies and folk here (in a Sony thread) feeling the need to say that Nikon are the beez every few posts. Granted I'm still getting the hang of them (joke thingies) but hopefully the little yellow face thingie is a bit of a give away.

No not your comment in particular Alan its just a general one, as I said it seems fairly widespread across all makers now, not a single one hasn't had some kind of QC issue over the last few years.

anyone bought the a6300 yet?????? is it a good upgrade over the a6000???

Not seen anyone with one yet but most of the reviews suggest that on a IQ perspective its not worth the upgrade but that the AF system is very good!

I have had an A6300 for a few weeks now, only managed one day out with it due to worl, but to me it does seem a pretty substantial upgrade.
AF is snappier, though the A6000 was no slouch, EVF is a lot higher res, and the build quality is outstanding, like an A7ii's younger sibling. the 4K is a nice bonus as well.

I take it that the IQ is the same as the a6000?

I think high iso is less noisy.
U.K. Price seems a little high for me at the mo but I think grey price will drop fairly soon. In fact i think it has already. 4K is a nice touch, but if it had ibis I would have already bought one I think.

yep trying to justify nearly a grand on a camera that doesn't seem that different to one you can pick up fot £275 is hard......

I didn't bother pre-ordering as I have been waiting for solid reviews along with a price announcement for the 70-200mm f2.8 and TC's. ;)

I think the 70-200 will be over my budget. I had considered the 24-70 - but if this recall/delay is actually happening, And not just some rumour - then I may even look into a Fuji and the 16-55f2 and 50-140 f2. Just shoot primes on the Sony.

I think the 70-200 will be over my budget. I had considered the 24-70 - but if this recall/delay is actually happening, And not just some rumour - then I may even look into a Fuji and the 16-55f2 and 50-140 f2. Just shoot primes on the Sony.
that's very similar to what I use my sony for now tbh I use the 55 28 and 35 on it and all the fast zooms on canon

That 16-55 is very good :)

No not your comment in particular Alan its just a general one, as I said it seems fairly widespread across all makers now, not a single one hasn't had some kind of QC issue over the last few years.
The camera industry has got so bad for this kind of stuff in recent years, it's hard to believe. The 5DII had its mirror flap itself off, the 5DIII had a couple of issues, and the 1DX also had a recall. Nikon's disaster with the D600 is kind of legendary by now, and the early D800s (including mine) were also recalled for a faulty AF sensor, and the D750 had some issue with light reflecting off an internal component, or venus or something. Sony of course had an early recall with the RX1RII recently too. And these are just the recent full frame cameras, who knows what else has been happening with cameras I've not been interested in.

They're all doing it, and it would be good if they all stopped it. Until then though, the main thing I'm interested in is how they handle it, or - in the case of the D600 - not.

The camera industry has got so bad for this kind of stuff in recent years, it's hard to believe. The 5DII had its mirror flap itself off, the 5DIII had a couple of issues, and the 1DX also had a recall. Nikon's disaster with the D600 is kind of legendary by now, and the early D800s (including mine) were also recalled for a faulty AF sensor, and the D750 had some issue with light reflecting off an internal component, or venus or something. Sony of course had an early recall with the RX1RII recently too. And these are just the recent full frame cameras, who knows what else has been happening with cameras I've not been interested in.

They're all doing it, and it would be good if they all stopped it. Until then though, the main thing I'm interested in is how they handle it, or - in the case of the D600 - not.

The G Master mkii should fix it

On the quality thing. There doesn't seem to be much money in cameras and there's no doubt pressure to get stuff to market so it's pretty much a perfect storm for teething troubles.

Still, it's not as bad a situation as we see with some tech, computer operating systems for example often seem to be written by people who've not been sober for a while.

I like compact kit and any ff camera with even a standard modern high quality zoom is going to be a relatively large package, for me, and for me the A7 is best with the likes of the 55 and 35mm f2.8.

I think that Fuji suffer the same issue as Sony to an extent in that they go for quality lenses and they tend to be on the larger side and that eats away at the smaller size advantage so I'm sticking with MFT as my A7 companion system. My G7 + 12-35mm f2.8 is about the limit I'm happy to use size wise and I'm impressed with the image quality so far. I don't think that MFT or Fuji can match the ultimate pixel peeping image quality you can get from an A7x but for whole images viewed normally no one will notice or care.

Seems pretty balanced to me, although he makes some basic mistakes like referring to an f4 28-70 lens which doesn't exist

Question: Are there any known plans (or rumours) for a prime telephoto lens for the e-mount Sony a7 cameras?
What I'd like is a reasonably portable 180/200/250mm prime (and nothing as pricey/large as the 500mm!)

Question: Are there any known plans (or rumours) for a prime telephoto lens for the e-mount Sony a7 cameras?
What I'd like is a reasonably portable 180/200/250mm prime (and nothing as pricey/large as the 500mm!)

Get in the queue! I'm sure there must be a plan for them but I haven't read anything yet.

180 would be a macro. 200 would be a prime tele, never heard of a 250mm prime. No rumours, nothing on the roadmap either, id say thats the last thing Sony would look at developing, there are more important/popular lenses that are in demand and would sell better.

Why would the 180 be a macro?
Incidentally I have a 21/35/50 Loxia, 25 Batis and decided on the Sony 90mm GOSS macro rather than the 85 Batis.
Don't want wider than 21mm and have resisted the 70-200 f4.
Am I wrong to resist? Has anyone here bought the 70-200 for the very reason there are no longer primes (yet)? Does it make a near-perfect portrait lens?

The 250mm I remember is the (old) Olympus sports/wildlife lens, though I had the more modest 180mm which made a lovely & discreet portrait lens.

Incidentally I have a 21/35/50 Loxia, 25 Batis and decided on the Sony 90mm GOSS macro rather than the 85 Batis.
Am I wrong to resist? Has anyone here bought the 70-200 for the very reason there are no longer primes (yet)? Does it make a near-perfect portrait lens?

The 250mm I remember is the (old) Olympus sports/wildlife lens, though I had the more modest 180mm which made a lovely & discreet portrait lens.

Do you know of many 180s that arent Macros? Its a weird FL like the 250 you mentioned. Woudlve thought the 90 G would be a better bet for portraits than a 70-200 F4.

Last edited:

I had the 70-200f4 and hardly used it. Nothing wrong with it. Lovely to handle and sharp images.
I'm probably going to buy another one..it works well on the a6000 with the crop factor.

I had the 70-200f4 and hardly used it. Nothing wrong with it. Lovely to handle and sharp images.
I'm probably going to buy another one..it works well on the a6000 with the crop factor.

Question is, why didn't you use it, and what did you use instead?

At one point I had nearly every Olympus prime lens, but nearly always went with the same three or four: 24mm shift; 50mm1.2; 100mm f2 or 180mm f2.8; and occasionally the 135mm macro...another nice/weird FL

double post

Question is, why didn't you use it, and what did you use instead?

At one point I had nearly every Olympus prime lens, but nearly always went with the same three or four: 24mm shift; 50mm1.2; 100mm f2 or 180mm f2.8; and occasionally the 135mm macro...another nice/weird FL

It needs a lot for me to take the 55 off the camera. So I was using that more for portraits etc and it was winter so not many opportunities to shoot wildlife stuff. I needed to raise some money to buy some Nikon gear so I sold it. Turns out the grass isn't always greener on the other side

Back