The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What, the UK version is there as well. I'm going to leave it a few days incase any issues arise.

What an over complicated upgrade procedure, whats wrong with putting the update file on the SD card and having an upgrade option in the menu.

Last edited:
There were a couple of reports in the comments on SAR that running the update from a Mac bricked the A7.

One said doing it again from Windows fixed it.

Updated mine using a mac. No problems encountered.

Not had a chance yet to use the camera since the update. Hopefully later.

I've just updated mine with a Windows PC and all seemed to go ok.

My number 1 wish was to be able to assign screen off to a function key but sadly this isn't included.

And while I'm sat here typing...

I shot a test shot after going through the update just to check that everything is still working. I aimed the camera at a model car on my windowsill and loaded the shot into CS5. I backed the exposure off -1.55 to recover the highlights in the sky, set my fill light to +70 to bring the bedroom up a little and then also boosted the darks +53 and the shadows +44. That's quite a boost. The final result looks pretty natural to me and looks noise and nastiness free and is just way beyond anything I could have done with my 5D.

Last edited:
Despite saying i would wait, i have done the update, definitely seems to start-up faster.

I'm fairly settled on lenses up to 70mm now and am looking ahead. Do you think the better option for a fast sports/birding lens is likely to be the LA4 adaptor with something like a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 SP Di VC USD Lens or the new Sony FE 70-200?

for birds you nearly always want something longgggggggggggggg, so yeah a adapter + something long would be good

Well there's been little interest in my a7 yet, so I took it out for a spin with the MC Rokkor-PG 58mm f/1.2 :)

Both of these shot at f/1.2 and then underexposed by 2/3rds stop in pp (1/8000th second wasn't fast enough :D)

View attachment 8310
View attachment 8311
This one at f/2

View attachment 8312

A mad, mad lens. Too mad for me in fact :D

Hmmm.

IMVHO bokeh has to be pleasing and there are subjects or more correctly backgrounds, maybe, that just don't suit wide apertures and would very probably not look great even when shot with the very best wide aperture lenses and on those occasions it's maybe better to admit defeat and stop down just a little from wide open.

I'm keeping my A7 at least for now :D and I'm using it as a digital back for my manual lenses. I've not yet used the kit lens out of the house. I've decided that my MFT G1 will be my AF camera but it may get upgraded at some point. The FF A7 is capable of producing better image quality but personally for me FF is at the far end of what is acceptable for every day hand held shooting and personally for every day casual hand held shooting I think that MFT or APS-C is more to my liking. FF is for best :D

Last edited:
I tried a few shots outside at night time and saw no issues. I haven't tried shining a bright light at the various joints and buttons etc on the camera though. I may well be wrong but I don't see it as a real world issue for me.

I tried a few shots outside at night time and saw no issues. I haven't tried shining a bright light at the various joints and buttons etc on the camera though. I may well be wrong but I don't see it as a real world issue for me.

Thanks,I brought an Fuji XT-1 which has this same problem,but I can't see it being a problem like you say in real world issues.
But I do worry in the long term it might have a problem if I ever wanted to sell it,Fuji does seem to come up with a solution,but because on the Sony it's seem to be a bit more difficult to fix,as those they do say their are working on it.
:)

Thanks,I brought an Fuji XT-1 which has this same problem,but I can't see it being a problem like you say in real world issues.
But I do worry in the long term it might have a problem if I ever wanted to sell it,Fuji does seem to come up with a solution,but because on the Sony it's seem to be a bit more difficult to fix,as those they do say their are working on it.
:)

I think that's the real world issue.

Only time will tell, maybe Sony will do a warranty repair as per the Canon 5D mirror falling off and other known issues?

Personally I'm not going to let this issue spoil my enjoyment and to be honest if I was looking to buy one now knowing what we know today I still would. If you are worried you could spend a little less and go for the A7. It is as far as I know the cheapest way into full frame. I use manual lenses on mine and it's a joy to use.

PS.
If you have an XT-1 why do you want an A7? The A7 is FF but the XT-1 is no doubt a very nice camera too. I went for the A7 specifically to use my manual lenses on.

Last edited:
No going to keep the XT-1 but was just wondering if it had been a problem for long term user of A7/R owner as the A7/R has been around longer :)

An update from me. I took my A7R back for repair as the rear thumbwheel had stopped working properly. I've just had a quote for £175 for repair stating the problem as "water ingress throughout" and the warranty being void. It needs a new primary circuit board.

Needless to say I'm somewhat incensed about this. Water ingress throughout in a weatherproof camera? WTF?

I have escalated with numerous phone calls and awaiting a call back to tell me if the water ingress "exceeds design specifications". It would be useful to know what those specifications are for us poor customers who use the things. 40 raindrops per minute or something? Who knows.

The camera has never been immersed or anything like that. It has been out in the rain and got wet when taking a pic (to be put away again afterwards), but nothing I'd expect to trouble a camera with "Dust and moisture resistance: Durability-enhancing measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components."

More on this as I get it. Grrrr!

If it doesn't have an IP rating i treat it as not waterproof. I dont fancy your chances to be honest they will just say its not covered.

It's an awesome shot but you might be best dropping it from your Flickr feed for a bit Tobers :0)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tobinators/11732487174/

Edit - I should add that I agree the camera should be able to keep functioning after some see spray hits it but pre-emptying some investigation work by Sony UK!

It is a hard one it not a completely water proof camera,and he does say he got an complete soaking so a bit 50/50 :)

Help, advice please. I am trying to come to terms with buying a LA-EA4 adaptor and a Sony Alpha macro lens. I don't do much macro but I do a lot of botanical (flower sized) photography for which I have used a 100-200mm macro lens (depending on system etc) generally. Most recently it has been an Olympus m.Zuiko 60mm (120mm equivalent) macro on an EM5 or the excellent 70-300mm m.Zuiko (140-600mm efl).

I can't find anything much I like with the Sony A7. I have just bought on ebay and returned (sticky diaphragm) a Tamron 90mm with Olympus OM mount and I am happy with OM but but all the interesting lenses seem either Canon or Nikon.

Any ideas please? Autofocus unimportant, image quality very important, stabilisation nice but not essential. budget say £500.

Last edited:
It is a hard one it not a completely water proof camera,and he does say he got an complete soaking so a bit 50/50 :)

Ha! Good bit of sleuthing. No, it was me that got wet. The camera was out from under the jacket, quick shot, then back again. I wouldn't have attempted this if it was not listed as weather sealed/moisture resistant etc. The camera started malfunctioning several weeks later after a Scottish Highlands trip where it got some rain on it but not for more than a few mins. Again, wouldn't have used it in that situation if not stated as being resistant.

Whether Sony fix it for free or I pay for it (£175), I certainly won't let any water get onto it again. A bit of a shame really.

Last edited:
Sorry Andy, I wasn't playing detective :0) I'd already favourited your shot before this one when you uploaded it and remembered it earlier.

I think you've got good cause to push Sony to repair under warranty although haven't they changed their website wording regarding weather proofing recently after the light leak issues?

Ha! Good bit of sleuthing. No, it was me that got wet. The camera was out from under the jacket, quick shot, then back again. I wouldn't have attempted this if it was not listed as weather sealed/moisture resistant etc. The camera started malfunctioning several weeks later after a Scottish Highlands trip.

Fair enough,not sure if the body is listed as weather sealed,just moisture resistant ?.
A little while ago Apple I-phones had a problem with moisture getting in thought the headphone jack and malfunctioning the phone,they blamed the people using were at fault but after a lot of neg feedback on the internet they back down,and fixed the problem,might be worth checking if any others user have had this problem :)

Fair enough,not sure if the body is listed as weather sealed,just moisture resistant ?.
A little while ago Apple I-phones had a problem with moisture getting in thought the headphone jack and malfunctioning the phone,they blamed the people using were at fault but after a lot of neg feedback on the internet they back down,and fixed the problem,might be worth checking if any others user have had this problem :)

As it happens I've looked for the description on the Sony site which is as follows:

"Dust and moisture resistance: Durability-enhancing measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components."

Their nice lady in the repair centre said that their engineers would check if the water ingress was within the specifications of the camera. What these specifications are is anyone's guess. Perhaps they could tell us. Obviously I'm not going to dunk it in the bath, but it should stand up to some rain and some spray I'd have thought? Clearly the sealing isn't as effective as I thought.

Consider this a warning to you all....

I'll keep you posted.

As it happens I've looked for the description on the Sony site which is as follows:

"Dust and moisture resistance: Durability-enhancing measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components."

Their nice lady in the repair centre said that their engineers would check if the water ingress was within the specifications of the camera. What these specifications are is anyone's guess. Perhaps they could tell us. Obviously I'm not going to dunk it in the bath, but it should stand up to some rain and some spray I'd have thought? Clearly the sealing isn't as effective as I thought.

Consider this a warning to you all....

I'll keep you posted.

Sound like it,i think your right even if its just moisture resistant the seals around the buttons should be well sealed,if the seals are letting in moisture the problem is with the camera and it should be fixed FOC.

Good luck hope you get a good result :)

Sound like it,i think your right even if its just moisture resistant the seals around the buttons should be well sealed,if the seals are letting in moisture the problem is with the camera and it should be fixed FOC.

Good luck hope you get a good result :)

Just checked a few review they all say it is weather sealed

I think Sony dropped the 'weather sealed' line from their marketing materials a couple of months ago when it turned out they're not so well resistant to water ingress.

I think Sony dropped the 'weather sealed' line from their marketing materials a couple of months ago when it turned out they're not so well resistant to water ingress.

Your right,but i think people who brought early may still have a case as they may have brought it on the understanding about the 'weather sealed' :)

Harsh words about the A7/r here...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/a_redux_critique_of_contemporary_camera_design.shtml

"I have no immediate plans to get a Sony A7/r, however. Despite a lot of chatter on the forums about the Sony A 7/r cameras representing some sort of Leica metaphor, these are not Leica rangefinder copies, any more than an EOS M is. These are altogether different cameras, which share a few attributes. They will work well for some purposes and will fail miserably for others. Focus peaking is not as accurate as rangefinder focusing, particularly for normal to wide lenses. Magnified view is not that agile a process when the camera is handheld. Opening the lens for optimal focus and then stopping down to taking aperture for exposure is a level of tedium only matched by a view camera, which is the live view paradigm actually. (Live view works best when the camera is mounted on a tripod and used like a view camera.) With the Sony’s FF sensors performance is poor with legacy lenses wider than 35mm due to smearing of detail at the frame edges, which cannot be fixed in post. Throw in poor battery life and a loud, vibration-prone shutter (A7r primarily), and you have a panoply of reasons for why a Sony A7/r is not a poor man’s Leica. But, you might think, forget the legacy lenses, at least you have all of Sony’s lenses you can use, only to realize you now have another problem. The half baked phenomenon which I lamented in my first essay, and which has characterized so many mirrorless offerings of the recent past, is still with us."

I assume that the problems he complains of with the A7/r are with RF lenses and I do wonder if he's used the kit himself rather than just cut and paste internet chat. I hope he's tried it.

Having owned RF's my own opinion is that their fans tend to highlight and exaggerate the problems of shooting manual lenses on the A7/r whilst air brushing the issues RF's pose. Hardly fair. To be fair you must consider the plus and minus points of both and be objective.

I prefer CSC's to RF's and I doubt I'll buy another RF. Yes, you can focus quickly and sort of accurately with an RF, with some subjects and at some focal lengths, but with my A7 I can call up a magnified view of any subject and if I want to I can choose my point of focus along an eye lash and that's good enough for me :D

Its an odd one RF cameras,i had an Leica M6 years ago,and for some reason i could never get used to RF focusing,so i sold it all and never used RF again :)

I think it's maybe a phase that many of us go through, my RF's went when I bought into MFT and finally left fim behind. They are nice but there are issues and I see no point in glossing over them. For example focusing via a small area smack in the middle of the viewfinder. Being able to focus anywhere within the image and being able to do so with a magnified view seems like a huge leap forward to me.

My biggest issue with my A7 is battery life and other than that the only other issue I can think of at the moment is not being able to assign back screen off to a custom button so at the mo my back screen is off and stays off. The A7 is IMVHO a very nice machine to use manual lenses on and I'm sure it's a nice machine to use AF lenses on too.

Harsh words about the A7/r here...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/a_redux_critique_of_contemporary_camera_design.shtml

"I have no immediate plans to get a Sony A7/r, however. Despite a lot of chatter on the forums about the Sony A 7/r cameras representing some sort of Leica metaphor, these are not Leica rangefinder copies, any more than an EOS M is. These are altogether different cameras, which share a few attributes. They will work well for some purposes and will fail miserably for others. Focus peaking is not as accurate as rangefinder focusing, particularly for normal to wide lenses. Magnified view is not that agile a process when the camera is handheld. Opening the lens for optimal focus and then stopping down to taking aperture for exposure is a level of tedium only matched by a view camera, which is the live view paradigm actually. (Live view works best when the camera is mounted on a tripod and used like a view camera.) With the Sony’s FF sensors performance is poor with legacy lenses wider than 35mm due to smearing of detail at the frame edges, which cannot be fixed in post. Throw in poor battery life and a loud, vibration-prone shutter (A7r primarily), and you have a panoply of reasons for why a Sony A7/r is not a poor man’s Leica. But, you might think, forget the legacy lenses, at least you have all of Sony’s lenses you can use, only to realize you now have another problem. The half baked phenomenon which I lamented in my first essay, and which has characterized so many mirrorless offerings of the recent past, is still with us."

Spot on I reckon (other than wide SLR lenses don't smear. The a7/a7r are both difficult to use with manual lenses, and as a camera in general it feels unrefined, The EVF is useless in bright light and zooming in on shots to check focus feels ridiculous to me. It's probably great with native lenses though :)

It's amazing how views differ. I love the camera, controls seem simple and intuitive, hardly any customisation was needed, mf is simple and accurate and I have barely touched my M8 since buying it. In comparison I found the Olympus OM-D E-M5 as overcomplicated as its name and largely due to the crop factor, rarely satisfactory with legacy lenses.

Each to his own I suppose.

I should add, I find the evf brilliant inside in low light. But outdoors the evf is too low res and peaking is useless unless you magnify. Focusing by looking for moire is a poor experience for me. I reckon a few iterations down the line and I may be swung back in this direction.

Back