The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

My issue with the sony fe lens mount isn't the limited lens choice (it's a new mount that's fine) but the F4 zooms. What's the point of the soon to be released low ISO king and strapping it to an F4 lens? It does kind of negate the benefits of having such a camera.

I'd say that the new camera is perfect for use with f4 zooms as you can use a high ISO and in doing so get a fast shutter speed and still get clean images :D

I'd say that the new camera is perfect for use with f4 zooms as you can use a high ISO and in doing so get a fast shutter speed and still get clean images :D
Yes one can compensate for the other:) Bit like having a Ferrari with a heavy trailer it can still go as fast as a ford fiesta!

Yes one can compensate for the other:) Bit like having a Ferrari with a heavy trailer it can still go as fast as a ford fiesta!

That's one analogy :D but you could also argue that at f2.8 you haven't got quite enough DoF and would ideally want to stop down a bit and with the sky high ISO performance of the new jobbie you'll be able to shoot at f8 never mind f2.8 or even f4 :D

Meh I'll stick with the optically sharper kit lens, as least that gives me nikon d4s disabling f3.5, at least when attached to the a7s ;)

Kit lens? The 28-70mm?

I bought that lens with my A7 and although I haven't used in for anything other than test shots to see if it works (I use my manual primes) it seems to be a perfectly adequate general purpose lens and easily the equal of any other similar lens I've used in the past from Canon or Nikon, in fact it's maybe a bit better actually in that it seems better made and doesn't extend much.

What dont you understand by interchangeable system? Actually a better question, how many lenses do you own? Because i doubt anybody on this forum who owns a camera thinks 3 lenses is far to many.

It's a new mount did you expect loads of these 1.8G quality primes you apparently need to be out straight away? What can't you shoot with the native lenses or the other hundreds and hundreds of lenses you can mount via an adapter? You've got some of the highest quality lenses ever tested available and you're pining after a plastic fantastic Nikon 1.8G prime? I mean come on. Nikon shooters would love an autofocus Zeiss prime of that quality the A7R has.

It's a new mount did you expect loads of these 1.8G quality primes you apparently need to be out straight away? What can't you shoot with the native lenses or the other hundreds and hundreds of lenses you can mount via an adapter? You've got some of the highest quality lenses ever tested available and you're pining after a plastic fantastic Nikon 1.8G prime? I mean come on. Nikon shooters would love an autofocus Zeiss prime of that quality the A7R has.

I think you're missing the point.

Firstly and without bragging too much (well, maybe just a bit...) let me get money and not being able to afford a good lens out of the way first and say that I could afford to use A7's and Zeiss primes like disposable cameras all week long should I wish to do so but ... As a rugged northerner I look at things like value and need and being honest with myself I'm never going to see my images printed 40 foot wide and mounted on a gallery wall and I see no need therefore to mount one of the worlds best ever lenses on my camera.

I've been pretty happy in the past with what I'd class as mass market primes on my Canon DSLR's and I've also been pretty happy with the Panasonic and Olympus primes I use on my MFT gear and what I personally would like to see, and what I think that Twist would also have liked to have seen, is native AF lenses, not adapted lenses, for the A* which are good enough but not aiming to be the amongst the worlds best with a heft and price tag to match.

I'm not talking about a £50 piece of crappy plastic that'll fall apart like a Canon 50mm f1.8. I'm talking about reasonable quality primes with maybe f1.8 apertures and costing maybe £300-£400 or so. 28, 50 and 85mm f1.8's would be great.

No one expects a range of 50 primes to be out on day one and I realise that Sony is aiming for a quality system and that's just great but I personally do hope that at some point more modest choices than the current 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 will be available for people who just want compact and light kit that'll give good enough results, like wot Canikon users have :D

If i expected them to be out right away why do i refer to the roadmap all the time, that tells me whats coming out till the end of 2015. Thats over 2 years into the life of the system! You really do love to bring up adapters in every post dont you, when ive clearly replied to that more than once.

Ha ha the nikon 1.8g is built just as well as the zeiss 35 (ive owned both) so im not sure you know what youre talking about and its one of the highest rated lenses on dxomark.

Thats why i said at the moment i wont be investing unless the roadmap changes, try accept my opinion instead of covering the same ground all the time with the same post.

Firstly and without bragging too much (well, maybe just a bit...) let me get money and not being able to afford a good lens out of the way first and say that I could afford to use A7's and Zeiss primes like disposable cameras all week long should I wish to do so but ... As a rugged northerner I look at things like value and need and being honest with myself I'm never going to see my images printed 40 foot wide and mounted on a gallery wall and I see no need therefore to mount one of the worlds best ever lenses on my camera.

I've been pretty happy in the past with what I'd class as mass market primes on my Canon DSLR's and I've also been pretty happy with the Panasonic and Olympus primes I use on my MFT gear and what I personally would like to see, and what I think that Twist would also have liked to have seen, is native AF lenses, not adapted lenses, for the A* which are good enough but not aiming to be the amongst the worlds best with a heft and price tag to match.

I'm not talking about a £50 piece of crappy plastic that'll fall apart like a Canon 50mm f1.8. I'm talking about reasonable quality primes with maybe f1.8 apertures and costing maybe £300-£400 or so. 28, 50 and 85mm f1.8's would be great.

No one expects a range of 50 primes to be out on day one and I realise that Sony is aiming for a quality system and that's just great but I personally do hope that at some point more modest choices than the current 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 will be available for people who just want compact and light kit that'll give good enough results, like wot Canikon users have :D

No point, he clearly doesnt get it.

Not really, making the A7s over the other two adds nothing in weight or size. Making the f4 lens an f2.8 makes it heavier and larger. Some people seem to want all the benifits of the smaller system and the exact same lenses of a DSLR.

Not really, making the A7s over the other two adds nothing in weight or size. Making the f4 lens an f2.8 makes it heavier and larger. Some people seem to want all the benifits of the smaller system and the exact same lenses of a DSLR.

In reply to?

The lenses might come eventually but to launch them with the camera would have been a poor decision. Canon doesn't even have updated 1.8 primes does it? So expecting Sony to launch them in a new mount to cannibalize the sales of their top lenses seems illogical. Third parties might get involved if they see the system is a success and there really is nothing stopping people using adapters to get autofocus lenses. If you want to compromise on IQ then why not on an adapter?

The lenses might come eventually but to launch them with the camera would have been a poor decision. Canon doesn't even have updated 1.8 primes does it? So expecting Sony to launch them in a new mount to cannibalize the sales of their top lenses seems illogical. Third parties might get involved if they see the system is a success and there really is nothing stopping people using adapters to get autofocus lenses. If you want to compromise on IQ then why not on an adapter?

I disagree, they couldve increased sales in both lenses and of cameras. Not everyone needs or wants the best of the best wether they can afford them or not. Im not sure how it would cannibalize sales of the top end when the mid range would increase overall sales numbers and units shifted, making up for any loss of the top end lenses. But only given the choice of top end puts people off.

Canon dont need to update the USM line because they already exist, giving consumers choice!

FFS enough about your adapters!! You really need to read previous posts, Ive replied to the same questions numerous times.

Dont be ridiculous thats like saying anything less than an Otus is a compromise. What lenses do you have?

Last edited:
I disagree, they couldve increased sales in both lenses and of cameras. Not everyone needs or wants the best of the best wether they can afford them or not. Im not sure how it would cannibalize sales of the top end when the mid range would increase overall sales numbers and units shifted, making up for any loss of the top end lenses. But only given the choice of top end puts people off.

Canon dont need to update the USM line because they already exist, giving consumers choice!

FFS enough about your adapters!! You really need to read previous posts, Ive replied to the same questions numerous times.

Dont be stupid thats like saying anything less than an Otus is a compromise. What lenses do you have?

The Sony marketing is glass worthy of a 1st class camera and that's what it looks to be producing. Your reasoning is just a race to the bottom. Maybe you can afford a £400 prime but I can't, I want a nifty fifty at £90 make me one of those etc. As for my lenses I own a few decent ones although they are all a compromise every lens is.

The Sony marketing is glass worthy of a 1st class camera and that's what it looks to be producing. Your reasoning is just a race to the bottom. Maybe you can afford a £400 prime but I can't, I want a nifty fifty at £90 make me one of those etc. As for my lenses I own a few decent ones although they are all a compromise every lens is.

What are you on about?! I NEVER ONCE SAID THAT, I SAID A MID RANGE PRIME AT £300 NOT A £90 PLASTIC FANTASTIC!!! Learn to read. Ironic you talk about the absolute best in IQ but you dont own the best and in the same breath talk about compromise. And I can easily afford the Sony system and its Zeiss lenses (and have owned them!), do I want to again? As said before, not with the current lens roadmap.

Last edited:
What are you on about?! I NEVER ONCE SAID THAT, I SAID A MID RANGE PRIME AT £300 NOT A £90 PLASTIC FANTASTIC!!! Learn to read. Ironic you talk about the absolute best in IQ but you dont own the best and in the same breath talk about compromise.

But you're on the race to the bottom now, you might be able to afford that, someone else can't so they want Sony to make a £90 quid prime and really cut costs to a plastic mount. How can you deny them that, I mean you got what you wanted? That's the race to the bottom you started.

If you really want to know I own some nice lenses like:

Zeiss 21mm f/2.8
Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus ZF.2
Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro
Nikon 200mm f/2 VR
Nikon 400mm f/2.8 VR

Plus other lenses that are pretty highly rated like the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G or a Nikon 35mm f/1.4G or Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II or PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED and others. Doesn't really matter though. I know as an early adopter with a new mount I will be burned on price and what I want will not be available immediately so I will have to compromise. The Sony offers an adapter where I can get autofocus with 50+ A-mount lenses. It's going to make things a little bulkier but that's the compromise. You don't like adapters and you don't want to pay the price for the native glass then it isn't the camera system for you.

Last edited:
But you're on the race to the bottom now, you might be able to afford that, someone else can't so they want Sony to make a £90 quid prime and really cut costs to a plastic mount. How can you deny them that, I mean you got what you wanted? That's the race to the bottom you started.

If you really want to know I own some nice lenses like:

Zeiss 21mm f/2.8
Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus ZF.2
Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro
Nikon 200mm f/2 VR
Nikon 400mm f/2.8 VR

Plus other lenses that are pretty highly rated like the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G or a Nikon 35mm f/1.4G or Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II or PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED and others. Doesn't really matter though. I know as an early adopter I will be burned on price and what I want will not be available immediately so I will have to compromise. The Sony offers an adapter where I can get autofocus with 50+ A-mount lenses. It's going to make things a little bulkier but that's the compromise. You don't like adapters then it isn't the camera system for you.

I started with what I would like to see, after all thats why I discussed the roadmap and when I would seriously look at purchasing an A7 again. You carry on like I am acting like the spokesperson for all camera users, no, Im not, I stated what I want to see before getting onboard again.

Glad to see the adapters came up again, Im pretty confident I said the system is not for me at the moment, I dont need you trying to tell me that. People are entitled to an opinion thats not yours.

There you go, youve just clarified for everyone why you think the IQ has to be at the level you expect and us peasants shouldnt own an A7, look at your lenses, not many can afford that for hobby shooting, and Im confident Sony didnt design this camera just for your budget. Dont talk to me about compromise when you bang on about achieving the highest IQ.

Last edited:
I have my opinion on what I would like to see from the system, just like you have yours. Lets leave it at that.

I started with what I would like to see, after all thats why I discussed the roadmap and when I would seriously look at purchasing an A7 again. You carry on like I am acting like the spokesperson for all camera users, no, Im not, I stated what I want to see before getting onboard again.

Glad to see the adapters came up again, Im pretty confident I said the system is not for me at the moment, I dont need you trying to tell me that. People are entitled to an opinion thats not yours.

There you go, youve just clarified for everyone why you think the IQ has to be at the level you expect and us peasants shouldnt own an A7, look at your lenses, not many can afford that for hobby shooting, and Im confident Sony didnt design this camera just for your budget. Dont talk to me about compromise when you bang on about achieveing the highest IQ.

It's obviously the wrong camera for you, what you wanted is a Nikon D610 and some 1.8G primes as only they will do for a reason known only to you. Stamping your feet that the Sony isn't a Nikon won't change that. You can have what you want if you compromise but you don't want to so it's tough luck. How you couldn't see that when you bought into not just a new camera but a new mount I don't know.

As for my lenses I'm sure you already knew what I had as I've seen you in the same threads. It looks more like an obvious attempt to say I'm only interested in the top lenses so couldn't possibly understand you when that's obviously not the case or I wouldn't have bought Samyangs, Sigmas or the lower priced Nikon lenses. You would be better off with a Fuji Xpro1 and some cheap primes.

It's obviously the wrong camera for you, what you wanted is a Nikon D610 and some 1.8G primes as only they will do for a reason known only to you. Stamping your feet that the Sony isn't a Nikon won't change that. You can have what you want if you compromise but you don't want to so it's tough luck. How you couldn't see that when you bought into not just a new camera but a new mount I don't know.

As for my lenses I'm sure you already knew what I had as I've seen you in the same threads. It looks more like an obvious attempt to say I'm only interested in the top lenses so couldn't possibly understand you when that's obviously not the case or I wouldn't have bought Samyangs, Sigmas or the lower priced Nikon lenses. You would be better off with a Fuji Xpro1 and some cheap primes.

Again, I said its not currently the correct camera for me. You dont need to tell me that. No, thats not what I want, I said what I want. Again, dont talk to me about compromise. Because when I bought into it there was no extended roadmap, I do recall I mentioned that a few times. What I currently own is what I currently want, dont try advise me on what I want or require. "Tough luck", more like I could care less, its not a major issue if the system doesnt have what I want now, it just wouldve been nice if it did.

You were the one that said that ultimate IQ is the most important thing and basically a prime worth £300 isnt worth putting on the Sony system as its not 'worth it', I mentioned the 1.8G several times and you dismissed that yet you own it! Been there done that and you would consider a Fuji 56mm cheap, look at what you shoot with for FFS, but I thought you said I wanted a Nikon and some Gs? Can you make your mind up.

Last edited:
Yes. Remarkably dxo rate it sharper than the zeiss f4 24-70
Kit lens? The 28-70mm?

I bought that lens with my A7 and although I haven't used in for anything other than test shots to see if it works (I use my manual primes) it seems to be a perfectly adequate general purpose lens and easily the equal of any other similar lens I've used in the past from Canon or Nikon, in fact it's maybe a bit better actually in that it seems better made and doesn't extend much.

Last edited:
DXO results are a bit misleading, that score is for peak sharpness the 24-70 is sharper on average at the various focal lengths and throughout the frame.

24-70
GLOBAL_PERC_MPix.png

28-70
GLOBAL_PERC_MPix.png

It is no doubt a great lens for the price especially the bundle price.

Few more recent images I took with Sony A7 and Zeiss 55mm. As expected I've not taken the lens off the camera since I've got it, lovely bit of glass

14231601293_afb5e53c87_c.jpg

14191776602_7a2024b95b_c.jpg

14251374602_bd8febc361_c.jpg

DXO results are a bit misleading, that score is for peak sharpness the 24-70 is sharper on average at the various focal lengths and throughout the frame.

24-70
GLOBAL_PERC_MPix.png

28-70
GLOBAL_PERC_MPix.png

It is no doubt a great lens for the price especially the bundle price.

Thanks that's good info, I suppose the issue here is that the zeiss should be significantly better than the kit lens (not worse in some aspects) to make it an attractive proposition given it's cost. The FE primes are so good but the zeiss zoom is let's be honest average at best as borne out by the many reviews.

I bought the kit lens as it seemed to be reasonably priced and I thought it'd come in handy and even though I haven't used it yet it's there if I need it :D

I like prime lenses myself but I think that really I could live with just the kit lens and a 50mm f1.8. That'd be a good minimalist kit IMVHO :D as it's the image that matters not the kit.

My issue with the sony fe lens mount isn't the limited lens choice (it's a new mount that's fine) but the F4 zooms. What's the point of the soon to be released low ISO king and strapping it to an F4 lens? It does kind of negate the benefits of having such a camera.
I think you've answered your own question. There is really no need for a faster lens than about f/4 on the A7 or A7R (and particularly on the A7S). The sensitivity of these cameras with wide dynamic range and low noise at higher ISO's does not require a super fast lens. Also, an f/4 lens is much lighter than say an f/2.8. Believe me, I have both an f/4 and f/2.8 70-200mm zoom; big difference. Probably the same reason there is no flash on the A7 series; not required in most circumstances...

Kit lens? The 28-70mm?

I own an A7R which doesn't come with a kit lens and was given a 28-70mm zoom by an A7 owner that didn't like it. I really like the 28-70mm for normal use. In fact it is my only Sony lens. The remainder of my "shelf" contains Canon, Pentax, Minolta, M42 and T2 lenses and adapters, most of which work better on the A7R than they did on their original bodies.

Hi all,

not posted in a long time but the Sony A7 interests me due to its size and weight at the fact it has a 24mp FF sensor
wub.png

So I am looking for some advice for and against if possible...

I currently only own one Fuji X system camera and thats the original X100, in fact its one of the very first to hit the UK upon release and I couldn't see myself ever parting with it.

However I gave up a entry level Nikon DSLR system to fund the X100 and soon after realised I missed the quick snappy response of a DSLR with good AF.

I have invested heavily in Nikon albeit mostly 2nd hand, but have ended up goning full circle in that its now becoming a object sat at home due it its weight etc....

I have the following kit which I am considering giving up to help fund the Sony A7.

Nikon D7000 + Battery Grip incl 3 batteries

Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 - used 90% of the time

Nikkor 12-24mm f4 - hardly used

Nikkor 35mm f1.8 - never used

Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5 - 4.5 - never used

Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 - used 10% of the time

Nikkor SB600 speed-light - hardly used

Nikon Microphone - never used

B+W and Hoya Pro filters and Nikon rucksack.

So would the Sony A7 bought the Zeiss 24-70mm f4 and Sony 70-200mm f4 lenses be a good move/upgrade?

Its substantially less hardware to carry around with me but I am worried that the quality of the Zeiss 24-70mm with its slower f4 will not come anywhere close to results my Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 produces (optically)

You thoughts please? :)

My A7 sometimes makes a squeal ( for want of a better word) for about 2 seconds. I thought it was an insect or animal. It's happened 2 or three times. I think it's turned on but not used at the time. Is this normal?

My A7 sometimes makes a squeal ( for want of a better word) for about 2 seconds. I thought it was an insect or animal. It's happened 2 or three times. I think it's turned on but not used at the time. Is this normal?

My A7 has never done that. If you live close to your dealer maybe you could take it in and have a chat about it?

Hi all,

not posted in a long time but the Sony A7 interests me due to its size and weight at the fact it has a 24mp FF sensor
wub.png

So I am looking for some advice for and against if possible...

I currently only own one Fuji X system camera and thats the original X100, in fact its one of the very first to hit the UK upon release and I couldn't see myself ever parting with it.

However I gave up a entry level Nikon DSLR system to fund the X100 and soon after realised I missed the quick snappy response of a DSLR with good AF.

I have invested heavily in Nikon albeit mostly 2nd hand, but have ended up goning full circle in that its now becoming a object sat at home due it its weight etc....

I have the following kit which I am considering giving up to help fund the Sony A7.

So would the Sony A7 bought the Zeiss 24-70mm f4 and Sony 70-200mm f4 lenses be a good move/upgrade?

Its substantially less hardware to carry around with me but I am worried that the quality of the Zeiss 24-70mm with its slower f4 will not come anywhere close to results my Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 produces (optically)

You thoughts please? :)

given the upgrade to full frame, i wouldnt worry about the lens so much, it should be fine, even if it was 50% less sharp the extra area of sensor would even that out?, same with dof?

My A7 has never done that. If you live close to your dealer maybe you could take it in and have a chat about it?
Thanks, I'm out of the country at the moment but I will contact them when I get back. In the meantime I would be interested if others have the same problem.

It depends what you mean by "results"?
If you mean the sharpness, the sony lens is at least as good, probably more-so. (since we're using dxomark already, here's a link)
If you mean the resulting depth of field and light gathering you get from a f2.8 lens compared to f4, that's evened out - the Nikon lens is twice as "fast", but the Sony sensor is twice as large, so all else being equal they'll be about the same.
If you mean back strain and portability, that will be significantly different. ;)

Personally I have the 28-70 and haven't yet seen the need to move up to the 24-70 after some hands on time with it. Maybe once all my Nikon gear is gone. I don't get my 70-200mm until later today so can't yet comment on that, but what time I had with a demo model was very promising.

However, since you're at least partially invested in Fuji's X system is there any reason you're not looking at the X-T1? It's more expensive and you have the smaller sensor, but AF speed is at least as good as the A7, more like the A6000.

Just taken delivery of my FE 70-200mm, very exciting! Focus seems fast, OSS works well (a few test images look sharp at 200mm ~1/20), zoom ring nice and smooth, manual focus ring works well enough by focus-by-wire standards.

Its certainly big compared to the camera but balances pretty well, and still a whole ton more manageable than my DSLR+70-200mm f2.8 alternative.

Downsides: lens cap egonomics and I know I'm going to get all OCD about keeping the felt-lined hood clean.

Can't wait to get home and give it a proper test. :)

u could buy the good cheapo design cap off ebay ?:)
Already on order!

What sort of nitwit thinks it a good idea to make little pinchy bits angle slightly towards each other so you can't get a good grip? The one on the 55mm is even better than Nikon caps so not sure how they'd screw it up. At least it's not as terrible as Canon ones.

Sometimes I think I worry too much about the little things. ;)

I did some pics a couple of weeks back for a t-shirt company using the A7R. They've gone live now so you can take a look here:

http://www.laidbareclothing.com/index.cfm

The site has a mix of studio and location shots. The studio pics used a Leica Summarit-M 50 2.5 and generally just a single light (mini octabox in close for fast falloff) for the model pics and two for the hanger shots. The location pics were mainly shot with a Canon FD 50 1.2 but also a Konica M-Hexanon 90 2.8.

There are some RX1 pics in there as well (for the fast flash sync), and the odd one or two on location with a Canon 1DIV and 70-200 which I'm sure you'll spot.

Back