The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Most of the time I have an old manual lens on my A7 and for a while now it's been an Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and to be honest I find it hard to fault but I'm open to persuasion to the idea that I must get a AF 55mm f1.8 :D

The thing with manual lenses is you don't get a clue from the exif and have to remember what shot was taken with what lens and I often forget. I know that the first shots I took with my A7 were with the Zuiko 50mm and this was amongst them...

A7 + 50mm f1.8 (about £15 worth) at ISO 3200.

Poor Toby has since passed and is missed every day. He was a lovely dog and my friend.

Sorry to hear about Toby :(

Haha he gushes over every camera :D

There are some who don't like to express opinions as opinions are easily jumped on by net trolls but I'd much rather read someone's opinion than a list of specs, so a few "wows" are fine by me :D

I'm gonna wait for the next generation A7 models and then buy one, lol.
Keep my A7 as second body. :)

I'll have to see what the next generation brings but if it's just faster focus and better focus tracking I'll pass... unless Sony add the ability to assign back screen off to a function button and if they do I'll be throwing money at them :D

Steve Huff gushing over the A7s...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/01/the-sony-a7s-digital-camera-review-wow-period/

Had this come out at the same time as the others I'd probably have got it rather than the A7 as the 12mp 5D was easily enough for me as was the 8mp 20D.

Still, for anyone looking at buying one of the little A7 family now I think the s would be a good buy.

If the iso are as good as he said,could go down very well in the photojournalism world :)

If the iso are as good as he said,could go down very well in the photojournalism world :)

Maybe. TBH the high ISO of the A7 exceeds anything I'll ever need so that aspect would only be bragging rights or of once in a while real world use to me. I think I'd be more attracted to the thought that it's only 12mp and has the silent shutter thingy. I have that ability with my Panasonic GX7 and it's a nice thing to have.

Maybe. TBH the high ISO of the A7 exceeds anything I'll ever need so that aspect would only be bragging rights or of once in a while real world use to me. I think I'd be more attracted to the thought that it's only 12mp and has the silent shutter thingy. I have that ability with my Panasonic GX7 and it's a nice thing to have.

I have had to push my Fuji to 6400 a couple of times,but in the past i could think of many times where a very high iso would open up a whole new world :)

I have had to push my Fuji to 6400 a couple of times,but in the past i could think of many times where a very high iso would open up a whole new world :)

We don't know we're born these days :D For years the best I had was 1600 film and an f4 lens :D These days I have f1.4 lenses and even my aging Panasonic G1 is useable at 3200. Makes me wonder what the future will bring :D

We don't know we're born these days :D For years the best I had was 1600 film and an f4 lens :D These days I have f1.4 lenses and even my aging Panasonic G1 is useable at 3200. Makes me wonder what the future will bring :D

It does i can remember pushing Extachrome 160T to 1600 at times :D

I've never shot with film lol :eek:
My first real camera was a Nikon D40.

You got to give it a go :D
Indeed. You can get something like an Olympus SLR+lens for very little money and when you've had a good play you can use the lens on your A7 via a cheap adapter, and you've always got the film camera if you want to revisit. I have three film cameras at the moment and although i haven't used them for years they're there should the mood take me.

Indeed. You can get something like an Olympus SLR+lens for very little money and when you've had a good play you can use the lens on your A7 via a cheap adapter, and you've always got the film camera if you want to revisit. I have three film cameras at the moment and although i haven't used them for years they're there should the mood take me.

Yep i got an Olympus OM4ti with a few lens for a good price a while ago :)

The Sony a7r was the first camera to tempt me into the digital world earlier this year.

I have since reverted back to my film cameras and given the Sony to girlfriend.

The Sony a7r was the first camera to tempt me into the digital world earlier this year.

I have since reverted back to my film cameras and given the Sony to girlfriend.

Ah :D

I did resist going digital for a while but what pushed me was dissatisfaction with film processing. I assumed at the time that they were cutting costs to compete but whatever the reason quality plummeted and in despair almost I bought my first digital camera. I started shooting film again a couple of years later but by that time I was hooked and now I haven't shot any film for four years.

Yay... my Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 has been delivered, cant wait to get home :)

Still not sure I wan't to trade/sell my Fuji X100 towards the Sony 70-200mm :eek:

Last edited:
Apart from the 55 being a great all round focal length on FF and this one being stunning image quality. It also just feels right in combination with an A7. Perfect size and balance.

Apart from the 55 being a great all round focal length on FF and this one being stunning image quality. It also just feels right in combination with an A7. Perfect size and balance.

It'd be a big decision for me though as one thing that I dislike intensely is fly by wire no marking no feel lenses. If modern CSC lenses had end stops and markings I'd probably have bought more but for now I prefer my manual lenses and AF FBW lenses are bought grudgingly and without love. I have FBW lenses for my MFT but they always leave me a little cold. Like plastic beakers and toilet brushes - they exist and are needed but I can't really love them.

Last edited:
The Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 is the lens to have for the A7... you MUST try one out and then decide....
I think MF works excellent with focus-peaking and zoom. :)

All set for tomorrow's sunrise

Oh dear.... not even had a chance properly put my Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 though it's paces and another lens has joined the collection.... Sony 70-200 f/4.0. Woooohoooo :)
:eek:

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

I have just bought the Sony Bracket pro app and find to my annoyance that focus bracketing doesn't work through he LEA4 adaptor so won't work with the only lens I bought it for.

Last edited:
I have just bought the Sony Bracket pro app and find to my annoyance that focus bracketing doesn't work through he LEA4 adaptor so won't work with the only lens I bought it for.
Darn, that's not good but give Sony Customer Service email/call and explain, I'm pretty sure they will refund you :)

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Well the other functions work and the focus stack is pretty effective with the kit lens so for £4 I can't get too excited. This is just a quick experiment hand held, does show promise I think.

View attachment 15413

I hope that you got something, dull flat grey sky here.

Is that a 17-35mm Tamron/Vivitar/Minolta lens on your camera? If so, how well does it work on the A7.
Had a drink last night and slept in. Might pop out to hadrians wall for sunset tonight although it's very dull today. No it's a metabones adapter and a Zeiss 21mm

Well? We're waiting...
:D

Right fellow A7/A7R owners.... the Tour De France came to Sheffield so I thought it would be a great chance to try out my new 70-200mm lens and Zeiss 55mm
Unfortunately I didn't get to try out the 70-200mm as much as I wanted, this was due to me finding a great spot on the road :)
I left the 24-70mm at home doh! :eek:

Here are some shots.... (mostly Zeiss 55mm)

DSC01272.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC01430.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC00879.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC00918.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC00867.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC00868.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

DSC00873.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

You can see the full set on my Flickr account
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rizvanhussain/sets/72157645133468679/

The Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 (even in my novice hands) can only be described as super sharp!!! Amazing!

Cheers

Riz :)

Nice shots - Had to tweet that 2nd one, such a great image, shows the passion for le tour

Last edited:
Nice shots - Had to tweet that 2nd one, such a great image, shows the passion for le tour

Thanks for the compliment, I have so much to learn when it comes to photography but overall I am very pleased with my first real outing with the Zeiss 55mm and A7 :)

Thanks for the compliment, I have so much to learn when it comes to photography but overall I am very pleased with my first real outing with the Zeiss 55mm and A7 :)

Great combo, I didn't think the FOV would be one I'd use that much, but 55mm on full frame I'm finding very creative for general shooting. I've actually purchased a Sony A6000 & Sony 10-18mm as 2nd body as I never take the 55mm off my A7 :)

Back