The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

huh? its only £200 below release price which is not a huge lot if you consider it released at £4.5K
Very true but think second hand prices have taken a big hit due to the release of the A7R III and A7 III.
In the grand scheme of things the Sony A9 is still an amazing piece of kit :)

I think Riz is talking about the used price of an A9 that someone posted the other day at £3k
Yeah, Harrison's have a couple in stock priced at £3100 each, imagine what they paid the owner(s)..... £2500-2800ish I guess.
I guess it was to be expected on what is a niche high-end body...... the main cost of the Sony A9 is its sensor array.

Last edited:
Yeah, Harrison's have a couple in stock priced at £3100 each, imagine what they paid the owner(s)..... £2500-2800ish I guess.
I guess it was to be expected on what is a niche high-end body...... the main cost of the Sony A9 is its sensor array.

I'l give you 50 quid

So predictions for this year's Sony announcements .... :D

Sony A7S III
Sony RX1R III
Sony A6700
Sony A7000
Sony FE 400mm f2.8 G Master
Sony FE 135mm f1.8 G Master
Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f1.8
Sony Zeiss FE 24mm f1.8

Last edited:
Yeah, Harrison's had a couple in priced at £3100 each, imagine what they paid the owner(s)..... £2500-2800ish I guess.

£2.8K would be optimistic especially on the VAT margin scheme for secondhand goods (VAT registered trader charges VAT on the difference on second hand goods), I'd be very surprised if any bricks and mortar retailer would settle for £250 (£50 to go to HMRC) on a £3.1K sale, especially if they have to handle any second user warranty issues. I would have thought that they would have been offering £2K-£2.4K

If they bought it from a VAT registered trader/photographer then it may be a different issue.

I think Sony have stopped making Zeiss lenses... May be they had a quiet divorce? :D

Or possibly because Zeiss started making thier own line of AF lenses (batis)

I think Sony have stopped making Zeiss lenses... May be they had a quiet divorce? :D

Or possibly because Zeiss started making thier own line of AF lenses (batis)
This could be true..... to be fair there is nothing wrong with the Zeiss Batis lenses, very good build backed by a 3 year warranty! :)
The Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 is to this day a very stellar lens when you factor in size/weight.

This could be true..... to be fair there is nothing wrong with the Zeiss Batis lenses, very good build backed by a 3 year warranty! :)
The Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 is to this day a very stellar lens when you factor in size/weight.

Yes i consider it the best lens in the system :)

£2.8K would be optimistic especially on the VAT margin scheme for secondhand goods (VAT registered trader charges VAT on the difference on second hand goods), I'd be very surprised if any bricks and mortar retailer would settle for £250 (£50 to go to HMRC) on a £3.1K sale, especially if they have to handle any second user warranty issues. I would have thought that they would have been offering £2K-£2.4K

If they bought it from a VAT registered trader/photographer then it may be a different issue.

Minor correction but it's 1/6 not 1/5 of the profit that gets taxed on the VAT margin scheme.

What difference would it make if the customer is VAT registered? Wouldn't the profit be roughly the same?

Minor correction but it's 1/6 not 1/5 of the profit that gets taxed on the VAT margin scheme.

£3100-£2800 = £300

£300 = £250+VAT(£50) - what I said

What difference would it make if the customer is VAT registered? Wouldn't the profit be roughly the same?

Yes, in most cases similar or the same.

Sony A7S III
Sony RX1R III
Sony A6700
Sony A7000
Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f1.8
Sony Zeiss FE 24mm f1.8

I like the idea of the RX1R but in reality an A7 isn't all that much bigger and you can change lenses... but not to the RX's lens though :D Against an A7II or III I suppose the RX1 looks a bit smaller and maybe makes more sense. I'm also not a big fan of the pop up EVF, I'd rather it was fixed or even better tilting like the one on some of the Panaonic RF style cameras. Anyway, I think I read somewhere someone predicting that there wouldn't be any more RX1's as it gets spanked by the Leica. I prefer 35mm to 28 though.

Things I'd like to see...

A compact and good enough if not world beating 35mm f1.8/f2... to add to my small collection of 35mm lenses.
A reasonably compact 50mm f2.8 macro with decent working AF.
I may be tempted to an AF 20mm or slightly wider f1.8/f2 at some point especially if cheaper than the Tokina.

I'm not getting into brand loyalty. Whilst I shoot with an A7 now and and A6000 previously, my camera shelf has considerably more film kit on it so my digital gear is just a tool. I'm not suggesting ignoring the problem, I've already said it would be good to understand what's causing it. However, the usual knee jerk reactions of the internet also need to be addressed as, to some, the camera has gone from the best option to completely useless in the space of a few example images. My question was, honestly, how many people actually shoot in these situations where the issue may present itself and then massively crop the image and, more importantly, would actually make the camera useless?

So far it's been nothing but huge praise for the A7 III and seeing a glaring flaw like that will turn a few people off, I personally don't expect it to be much of an issue but we don't know if the A7 III is more prone to it or if it's as little of an issue as on the A9/A7RIII so I'd rather we were better informed. I'm still leaning towards buying one, can't tell if GAS is overriding what little common sense I have, OK it's definitely GAS but it still might be the right decision.

My point is that there is clearly banding of some sort on those examples shared but the reality of the whole image shows that it's only actually visible when magnified on that specific area. I;m not ignoring it's there, just asking for some balance.

Don't let them drag you down to their level has always been good advice, I'm looking forward to the reviews anyway, just in time for TPS which will hopefully save me from needing to rent one.

Some good information and user reviews coming up now on this A7iii

I agree it will sell well, Sony have hit the mark when it comes to price vs performance in the A7 III.
:)

Sony A7S III
Sony RX1R III
Sony A6700
Sony A7000
Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f1.8
Sony Zeiss FE 24mm f1.8
Knowing Sony we'll see an A7 iv, and a7 v, an Ar iv, A9 ii, A9 iii, A9 iv, and no new lenses ;) :p

I'm sure there'll be new lenses from Sony and from the other peeps too.

Back