The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm sure pictures are very welcome in an equipment thread.

I don't believe that one bit. Why would Sony brag about their failing products? It's not good business and wrecks confidence.

I'd be more interested in ff E and A mount sales comparisons.

Last edited:
This is mildly interesting if it's to be believed... apparently Sony are claiming that their CSC cameras are doing rather well whilst DSLR sales aren't.

Read all about it...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/...ty-the-1-mirrorless-brand-dslr-sales-decline/

PS. the age graph is interesting.

Its hardly a massive surprise though is it? Sony have hardly released any new A-Mount stuff over the last couple of years yet have released umpteen mirrorless bodies and heaviliy, heavily pushed them in advertising and promotions.

I'd actually say that within the Camera Makers a simple comparison of their own sales (CSC v DSLR) isn't all that relevant as its clear that each manufacturer is really focusing on one market - Sony, Fuji, Olympus (CSC), Nikon & Canon (DSLR).
I'd expect Sony, Fuji and Oly to say that CSC Sales are doing well because thats their business focus and where all their new products are but I'd expect Nikon and Canon to be reflecting that DSLR Sales are holding up but their CSC sales aren't great (partly as neither has really tried that hard in the CSC Space)

If the data is true and directly from Sony as Huff states, I guess it bolsters their argument for bringing A mount to an end.

Now they just need to remove all the A mounts and bolt E mounts to them :)

Last edited:
Its hardly a massive surprise though is it? Sony have hardly released any new A-Mount stuff over the last couple of years yet have released umpteen mirrorless bodies and heaviliy, heavily pushed them in advertising and promotions.

I'd actually say that within the Camera Makers a simple comparison of their own sales (CSC v DSLR) isn't all that relevant as its clear that each manufacturer is really focusing on one market - Sony, Fuji, Olympus (CSC), Nikon & Canon (DSLR).
I'd expect Sony, Fuji and Oly to say that CSC Sales are doing well because thats their business focus and where all their new products are but I'd expect Nikon and Canon to be reflecting that DSLR Sales are holding up but their CSC sales aren't great (partly as neither has really tried that hard in the CSC Space)

Sony started slowing their DSLR line down when they started releasing SLT models and a lot of A mount users did not like EVFs so jumped ship, it was an obvious move toward losing the mirror entirely, they push mirrorless because it costs them less to make a mirrorless camera, its all about the profits at the end of the day. Not everyone needs a performance DSLR and most people buy compacts or use phones.The mirrorless cameras sell well because 90% of them are consumer orientated models, they have flappy screens, wifi, touch, loads of 'fun' jpg modes and are cheap with a basic kit lens that does everything average Joe will ever need. Of course there are also more advanced models but its the lower end stuff thats boosting numbers.

Yeah I guess why would a pro body have a flappy screen , wifi or touch shutter. That would just be crazy. Let the soccer mom's have that but a pro- no way.
Next thing some madman will suggest a pro body has a pop up flash on it. What madness!!!! Lol:)

Yeah I guess why would a pro body have a flappy screen , wifi or touch shutter. That would just be crazy. Let the soccer mom's have that but a pro- no way.
Next thing some madman will suggest a pro body has a pop up flash on it. What madness!!!! Lol:)

Youve misunderstood, I never said they were bad things to have, (implied about the jpg modes but not the rest), I meant to get all that in a cheap body is what attracts consumers! I love the wifi on my D750.

Last edited:
I thought that the age demographic stuff was interesting. Maybe CSC are more acceptable to younger people whilst old crusties still prefer traditional DSLR's which could mean that older people are resistant to change or just know better :D

On the loading the camera up thing... I'm all for fully articulated screens, pop up flashes and anything else and I really wish manufacturers would throw everything at a camera in an attempt to satisfy people who want everything and show clear differentiation to other manufacturers products.

Last edited:
sony push e mount really hard, and a mount has been forgotten about by them. stupid really as a77ii is a really great camera, even with the half heartedness and cheaping out on things like removing gps and ir focus light :|, and stupid hotshoe.

i suspect its a political move, as im not sure they are actually selling more cameras now than when a mount was their focus, probably a higher value ones with the FE stuff atleast, but we dont know profit margins

Not much love in the Sony family is there?

I'd pick Fuji just for the friendlier owners threads. :D

Joking aside, moving to Sony has killed my use of TP somewhat. Massive generalisation but it feels the same everywhere, the Fuji forum on DPReview is remarkably pleasant (by DPR standards anyway), the Sony...not so much. Masses of infighting between E, FE and A mount users.

It's an interesting topic actually, Fuji have gone to massive lengths to build a very robust community, which is pretty unusual for a big company, particularly electronics, and that generates a lot of goodwill and brand loyalty. They've adopted a model similar to small start ups of popular products online, and it seems to be working well for them. Sony, Nikon etc are extremely corporate by comparison.

Joking aside, moving to Sony has killed my use of TP somewhat. Massive generalisation but it feels the same everywhere, the Fuji forum on DPReview is remarkably pleasant (by DPR standards anyway), the Sony...not so much. Masses of infighting between E, FE and A mount users.

It's an interesting topic actually, Fuji have gone to massive lengths to build a very robust community, which is pretty unusual for a big company, particularly electronics, and that generates a lot of goodwill and brand loyalty. They've adopted a model similar to small start ups of popular products online, and it seems to be working well for them. Sony, Nikon etc are extremely corporate by comparison.

Totally agree, although not as much to complain about in Nikon camp, you only have to read through the comments below the articles on alpharumours to see people conflicted, myself included. Most of it stems from the lens situation ie choice, price, quality, roadmap (or lack of), uncertainty of A mount and general untrust. Fuji have embraced the X system as a whole, were Sony seem frustratingly focused on new cameras. Take away the Zeiss glass and the Sony system doesn't look a great deal stronger than it did a year ago. Would have thought we'd have much more Sony branded primes by now in the same price range as the new 28mm, ie 14,20,24,28,35,50,85 etc. This is were I think the system fails (tell me if I'm wrong) We're still relying on MF and legacy glass or have to shell out big for Zeiss, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. Hell if they'd bolt E mounts to half the A mount glass it atleast be something. It's frustrating playing the waiting game.

Last edited:
Has anyone used a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4? I'm thinking of getting one as looking to buy a cheapish 35mm that can focus quite close.

It's frustrating playing the waiting game.

I suppose it is but on the positive side :D we arguably have some of the best AF lenses available and I've no doubt that more will come but the question is when and at what price.

I used to have some nice Sigma DSLR lenses and these days I suppose choosing Sigma is even more justified with the introduction of the excellent Art lenses. Sony/Zeiss lenses will possibly compete on quality and perhaps even better them here and there but may well on average be more expensive and that is disappointing but it's a fact of life at the moment and if someone wants cheaper lenses there are other systems to choose but even accepting the arguably/relatively expensive lenses I think the system is a good one and not just for me and my manual lenses as I probably will buy more AF lenses in the future if/when I get bored with old lenses. For me it's not a matter of cost it's a matter of what I prefer to use and at the moment if you want a "FF" interchangeable lens CSC there's only one t choose from, one with well priced bodies and on the whole quality lenses if rather on the more expensive side :D

Maybe an idea scenario would be for Sony A7 series body sales to really take off and for Sigma/Tamron to get interested and design some nice compact and well priced native lenses. I have no idea how many bodies Sony would need to sell and at what point the guys at Sigma start to lick their lips but I hope it happens :D

there's only so fast they can push out lenses, and they seem to have dropped everything else dev wise.

other thing is there's a split between those lenses that are small and light, and those that are big n heavy like slr lenses, and topping out at 240mm.

and everyone demands some other lens too

lens choice is the only thing that's stopping me from getting an A7r at the minute, I've been an A mount user for years and the lens choices have been my main (and pretty much only) complaint with the Sony system, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy yet another system that has the same issues

feels a bit like I should have learned my lesson, but I do love pretty much everything else about the Sony system!

I'll make do with what I've got for another year or two and maybe pick up a cheap A7r when the new models come out

lens choice is the only thing that's stopping me from getting an A7r at the minute, I've been an A mount user for years and the lens choices have been my main (and pretty much only) complaint with the Sony system, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy yet another system that has the same issues

feels a bit like I should have learned my lesson, but I do love pretty much everything else about the Sony system!

I'll make do with what I've got for another year or two and maybe pick up a cheap A7r when the new models come out

Didn't realise how sparse the lens selection was for A mount given how long it's been around. Doesn't bode well for E mount then if Sony follow the same level of commitment.

Anyone wanna swap an A7 :D

there's only so fast they can push out lenses, and they seem to have dropped everything else dev wise.

I read somewhere and I can't remember where that no one has the capacity to do more that three or four lenses a year.

lens choice is the only thing that's stopping me from getting an A7r at the minute,...

Just out of interest, what are you looking for?

Good plan on the waiting game.

Doesn't bode well for E mount then if Sony follow the same level of commitment.

Anyone wanna swap an A7 :D

The A7 series seems to be the priority now and sad though it is for A mount users I'm sure that even they can guess why and I guess it's because Sony couldn't shift enough A kit to make it viable as everyone continued to buy Canon and Nikon kit. I suppose we see this on a lesser scale with Canon M, how many lenses? Dead system?

Last edited:

It's not that there is anything I'm waiting for as such, I just find that the choice for A mount can be very limited so you're stuck with very high prices or MF options, and from what I've seen on FE it's a similar story

I like to shoot with primes and I'd like to be able to swap and change what's in my collection without having to think too much, but with the CZ prices each lens is a big commitment. I love the lenses they do make, but I'd rather there were a few more budget options for me to try out and see if they suit me before I spend around £1000, that combined with the rarity of sony lenses on the second hand market (compared to canikon at least) have just been a constant annoyance in my sony ownership

for all the spec my A77 and A99 have I'm still glad I went with Sony as I love so much about them, just wondering if with a change of mount I'd be just as well changing system all together

It's not that there is anything I'm waiting for as such, I just find that the choice for A mount can be very limited so you're stuck with very high prices or MF options, and from what I've seen on FE it's a similar story

I like to shoot with primes and I'd like to be able to swap and change what's in my collection without having to think too much, but with the CZ prices each lens is a big commitment. I love the lenses they do make, but I'd rather there were a few more budget options for me to try out and see if they suit me before I spend around £1000, that combined with the rarity of sony lenses on the second hand market (compared to canikon at least) have just been a constant annoyance in my sony ownership

for all the spec my A77 and A99 have I'm still glad I went with Sony as I love so much about them, just wondering if with a change of mount I'd be just as well changing system all together
I'm a fellow A99 user but I don't understand the complaints about the A mount lens selection. There have been over 430 autofocus lens available for the A mount (not all current obviously!) A lot of very high quality lenses can be picked up on eBay especially Minolta glass.

I wouldn't shoot Sony if I was a long lens user, canon still have by far the best selection if your a sports shooter but most people aren't and Siny has some of the highest quality lenses of any system with its Zeiss A mount glass. Rumours of A99ii today.

We're still relying on MF and legacy glass or have to shell out big for Zeiss, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.

I appreciate I'm an outlier case, but being able to use my MF legacy lenses on full frame was almost the entire reason I bought my A7. I think I've used the kit lens twice in 18 months and I've not really been tempted by any of the AF FE offerings.

That said, if Fuji were to release a full frame body I could consider jumping ship; I have a lot of respect for the way they do things and treat their customers. And one of the beauties of using legacy lenses is that all I'd need would be a few adapters instead of dumping en entire system.

I read somewhere and I can't remember where that no one has the capacity to do more that three or four lenses a year.

The A7 series seems to be the priority now and sad though it is for A mount users I'm sure that even they can guess why and I guess it's because Sony couldn't shift enough A kit to make it viable as everyone continued to buy Canon and Nikon kit. I suppose we see this on a lesser scale with Canon M, how many lenses? Dead system?

the camera division was run by 1 guy, hence rx1, rx10, qx. he wanted those cameras, his idea...
there not shipping more cameras than in the past i think? and pentax are more active with less market share

the main shortfalls on A mount is lack of long primes, tilt shift lenses, and some zeiss manual lenses which seemed stupid to me

I have to admit that coming from m43 to FE the lens price makes me need a second job. But the prices seem comparable with canon L glass.
The 24-70 and 70-200 lenses are almost identical in price.(well grey import prices )
If Sony could produce a range of cheaper lenses or just re - release their E mount with fe fitting on the rear (is that even possible) then it would be ideal.
I really need a 50mm lens but £500 for the zeis 55 F1.8 is too much so my only choice is the E mount 50mm F1. 8 in crop mode ( surely if the alter the mount fitting it would work native mode?)

Last edited:
If you can live with manual focus until you get a 55mm f1.8 there are lots of 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 lenses around starting at about £15, add another £10 for an adapter.

If you are going to use a lens in crop mode wouldn't it be better to get something that would equate to a 50mm FoV after crop? 35mm?

I'm really concerned about the lack of consistency accross sony's lenses, they feel like they've bee. Developed in isolation (well with the zeiss lenses I suppose they in fact were), where as fuji lenses seem to have been designed with consistency in mind, consistency of look , size, feel, function and apperture ring

Like the look of the new 16 1.4, might have to invest in an xe2 just for that lens and the 56 1.2, 2 holes that won't be filled until the batis lenses drop (although I suspect they will be even more expensive than the fuji lenses and a body to go with them !)

Back