The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have a spare Canon R5/R6 battery I don't know what to do with, I was going to keep it but perhaps MPB would buy it .... cheers for that, didn't give them a thought.
Funnily Im part exchanging them for a R6 battery!

Likewise, I have several Nikon ones sat in a draw.
I have quite a few of them too hence why I want to sell these Sony batteries on. The loss of delivery services taking lithium batteries makes private sales nearly impossible.

YaY! Good to see another small G lens owner as I thought I was the only one. I have the 24mm f2.8. I keep looking at the 40 and 50mm f2.5's but as I have the old Sony 35mm f2.8 getting one doesn't make a lot of sense.
I have the 40mm F2.5 too. I use it when I travel with work as it is somewhat smaller than my 35mm F1.4. Makes for a nice small set up for when wondering around places.

What's a good price for a used 400mm 2.8?

I see there's one on ebay, not too old, excellent condition for £9000 - but they are new £10,500 - so I'm not sold
I guess they don’t come up on your site very often? Had a look at that one, I’d want mint at that price. Panamoz etc don’t list them but is it worth contacting them to see if they can get them?

Have taken the plunge to move from Nikon to Sony and ordered an A7 IV and have a couple of weeks now to decide on my first lens.
From the reviews I have read I cant seem to go wrong with either Tamrom 28-70 2.8 or Sigma 28-70 2.8 so are there any opinions to choose one over the other?

Also is there a step change in difference between those and the Sigma 24-70 Art?

Have taken the plunge to move from Nikon to Sony and ordered an A7 IV and have a couple of weeks now to decide on my first lens.
From the reviews I have read I cant seem to go wrong with either Tamrom 28-70 2.8 or Sigma 28-70 2.8 so are there any opinions to choose one over the other?

Also is there a step change in difference between those and the Sigma 24-70 Art?
welcome to the dark side

In terms of quality the way I see it going by reviews:
Sony 24-70GMii > Sigma 24-70 DN art > Tamron 28-75 G2 > Sony 24-70GM > Sigma 28-70 DN > Tamron 28-75mm G

I have only owned the original Tamron 28-75mm and borrowed the sony 24-70 GM.
Its not really a focal length I prefer. Personally I preferred using the Sony 24-105mm or Tamron 28-200mm.

I guess they don’t come up on your site very often? Had a look at that one, I’d want mint at that price. Panamoz etc don’t list them but is it worth contacting them to see if they can get them?

I did send Panamoz, but only just today - will be interesting to see if they can price one.

If 28mm is wide enough for you then the Tamron is very highly regarded. I don’t know much about the 28-70mm other than it’s a contemporary and Art lenses do tend to be a level above their contemporary lenses.

I'm off on a road trip now to go pick one up !
Nice, can't wait to see your pics with it. I could do with one this year but a lens like this is a pipe dream for me. I hope it meets your expectations (y)

If you want to come and try it out in Derbyshire let me know ;) :p

Afternoon all, hope you don’t mind a new one to the party

I am a new owner of the Sony A7iv & new to Sony FF too and am slowly making my way through its amazing features and one thing I want to dive into is the world of video now too.

However I realise now cameras offer a much wider variety of video settings which I amgoing to work my way through the learning, but for now I just want to know what settings I would use if I just wanted to record some simple video in say Full HD or even basic 4K, but without the need of doing any post processing or colour grading and so straight from camera?

I suppose I am looking for the video equivalent of jpeg? I am also concerned my understanding of what Colour/picture profiles are or what they do..

Thanks you in advance & look forward to getting to know you all

Afternoon all, hope you don’t mind a new one to the party

I am a new owner of the Sony A7iv & new to Sony FF too and am slowly making my way through its amazing features and one thing I want to dive into is the world of video now too.

However I realise now cameras offer a much wider variety of video settings which I amgoing to work my way through the learning, but for now I just want to know what settings I would use if I just wanted to record some simple video in say Full HD or even basic 4K, but without the need of doing any post processing or colour grading and so straight from camera?

I suppose I am looking for the video equivalent of jpeg? I am also concerned my understanding of what Colour/picture profiles are or what they do..

Thanks you in advance & look forward to getting to know you all

Welcome. I'd like to help you out but I've never shot video! Others with know though! :)

Welcome. I'd like to help you out but I've never shot video! Others with know though! :)
I’ve shot video once, just put it on movie mode and set the shutter to 1/50 IIRC. Seemed to work OK for what I wanted (y)

This was the early morning image I went for - Cygnus region over this composition - took a bit of work to line things up but the lights from the pub helped too see!! I then planned to go somewhere else local for a Milky Way panorama composite - There's a nice 'barrow' entrance that looks really good, but you are facing west so the Milky way arch is behind you facing east..... Anyway, I didn't get there because of camera issues taking this so I stayed here for a arched panoramic shot & I think it worked out well as that is looking really good so far!!

*** by Lee, on Flickr

Does anyone know where I can buy a camo neoprene lens cover set from?

It's for a Sony 200-600mm. Mines getting a little worse gor wear

Wex have them but I don't fancy spending £100 on one

Thanks

Les :)

YaY! Good to see another small G lens owner as I thought I was the only one. I have the 24mm f2.8. I keep looking at the 40 and 50mm f2.5's but as I have the old Sony 35mm f2.8 getting one doesn't make a lot of sense.
Yes nice little lenses, I have the old Zeiss 35mm 2.8 too as well as the 55mm, so my get rid of those as the 40mm obviously sits between them, although odd focal length prime for some, seems good to me

Last edited:

Thanks

Hiya Les,

I have been looking at the same thing and agree about the price. Iv been thinking about this one that I came across.

As it seems to bit a bit more reasonable; they also do a different design I believe. :)

Yes nice little lenses, I have the old Zeiss 35mm 2.8 too as well as the 55mm, so my get rid of those as the 40mm obviously sits between them, although odd focal length prime for some, seems good to me

40mm is thought by some to be quite a nice and desirable thing. Some film era 40mm's go for stratospheric money compared to the more ordinary 50mm f1.8's.

I have the Sony 35mm f2.8 and f1.8 as well as the 55mm and Voigtlander 35, 40 and 50mm lenses so I really can't justify either the 40 or 50mm f2.5. But I still keep looking at them :D

And they gave you a free banana? That's service!

I'll look forward to seeing your pictures Dan :D but don't slip on that banana skin :D

Thanks

I have the one from https://www.outdoorphotographygear.co.uk/neoprene-camera-cases

Really good and soft rubber lining so once it's on it never slips/moves. The only bit that I don't like is it's hard to slide the switches on the side of the lens, but there's no real way around this with any covers apart from removing the part that covers the switches

40mm is thought by some to be quite a nice and desirable thing. Some film era 40mm's go for stratospheric money compared to the more ordinary 50mm f1.8's.

I have the Sony 35mm f2.8 and f1.8 as well as the 55mm and Voigtlander 35, 40 and 50mm lenses so I really can't justify either the 40 or 50mm f2.5. But I still keep looking at them :D

I was a G up until recently! :p

I will admit though, I did/do love 40mm as a nice focal length. I shot the old Voigtlander 40/1.4 Classic M for years when I first got the A7 with a thin Leitz 90/2.8 :love: Wish I kept them now just to look at!!

I have the one from https://www.outdoorphotographygear.co.uk/neoprene-camera-cases

Really good and soft rubber lining so once it's on it never slips/moves. The only bit that I don't like is it's hard to slide the switches on the side of the lens, but there's no real way around this with any covers apart from removing the part that covers the switches
yes i have the same one and ended up taking that bit off so i could access the switches, good bit of kut though

Back