The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

After recently printing and framing two 2mb pictures taken with my Medion compact to A4 I don't think I'll worry too much about a camera only having 26mp but I can see how some would want more.

After recently printing and framing two 2mb pictures taken with my Medion compact to A4 I don't think I'll worry too much about a camera only having 26mp but I can see how some would want more.
Well canon, Fuji and even Samsung who don't even make cameras have bodies with higher MP.
Feels like Sony is really dragging their feet with the APS-C bodies

Well canon, Fuji and even Samsung who don't even make cameras have bodies with higher MP.

They could also make a mini SLR style APS-C camera but seem averse to doing it.

I don't think I care as even if Sony had an APS-C camera that could interested me the lenses to tempt me just aren't there so I wouldn't be tempted to ditch MFT. So, they can hobble all they want. I don't care :D

They could also make a mini SLR style APS-C camera but seem averse to doing it.

I don't think I care as even if Sony had an APS-C camera that could interested me the lenses to tempt me just aren't there so I wouldn't be tempted to ditch MFT. So, they can hobble all they want. I don't care :D
It's the opposite for me, lenses on m43 aren't to my liking. Most compact telephotos are softer at long end. In comparison Sony 70-350mm is excellent at long end and reasonably sized too.

It's the opposite for me, lenses on m43 aren't to my liking. Most compact telephotos are softer at long end. In comparison Sony 70-350mm is excellent at long end and reasonably sized too.

This is where liking the 35/50mm FoV suits me, the kit can be small and cheap.

Well it's only a rumour so far, but maybe 26mp is the sweet spot to ensure top level DR and noise handling. If my math is correct that would give a pixel size more or less the same size as the A1. I guess they could go up to 30mp to give the same (give or take) pixel size as the A7RV.

Really impressed with this bird eye af, heavily backlit scene with small subject in the shadows and it just nailed it without a fuss :clap:

IMG_5634 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Well it's only a rumour so far, but maybe 26mp is the sweet spot to ensure top level DR and noise handling. If my math is correct that would give a pixel size more or less the same size as the A1. I guess they could go up to 30mp to give the same (give or take) pixel size as the A7RV.
A7rv is APS-C mode gives 26mp and A1 gives 22mp. So it's same pixel pitch as a7rv

Last edited:
A crop. A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4.

Getting the message out there... And once he'd finished he was off...

syHT2nj.jpg

"The only cure for litter is you."

Interested in opinions - I’m thinking of buying a 70-200 f2.8, and want to stick to Sony lenses.

I mainly shoot portraits, a bit of sport, and the rest landscapes and family photography.

I can either sell my 85mm gm and get the 70-200 gm ii, or keep the 85mm gm and get the 70-200 gm i.

What would you do?

That’s pretty good (y)
Surprising still no way, I’m aware of anyway, for Lightroom to show the focus point.
No, there used to be a plugin for lightroom but it's not worked for years. You can see it using the App A7info but it doesn't link with LR :(

Interested in opinions - I’m thinking of buying a 70-200 f2.8, and want to stick to Sony lenses.

I mainly shoot portraits, a bit of sport, and the rest landscapes and family photography.

I can either sell my 85mm gm and get the 70-200 gm ii, or keep the 85mm gm and get the 70-200 gm i.

What would you do?

Honestly? I'd probably buy the Tamron 70-180.

Do you use the 85 wide open much? If not then a 70-200 f2.8 might be an acceptable replacement, but I'd have thought 85 f1.4 to be an essential tool for portrait work.

What would you do?
Is there an option to sell the 85mm GM and get the 70-200mm f2.8 GM II plus a used Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN?

Anyone tried the Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro? Keep fancying having another Macro but don't want to pay a lot, and with the £85 cashback at the moment it's making it reasonable. I don't fancy the Sony 50mm macro as the blades aren't rounded giving hexagonal bokeh when stopped down.

Anyone tried the Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro? Keep fancying having another Macro but don't want to pay a lot, and with the £85 cashback at the moment it's making it reasonable. I don't fancy the Sony 50mm macro as the blades aren't rounded giving hexagonal bokeh when stopped down.
It's a DSLR design lens. Optically it amazing.
I'd suggest the sigma 105mm f2.8 DN.

There is also a Sony 90mm macro in sales ;)

Honestly? I'd probably buy the Tamron 70-180.

Do you use the 85 wide open much? If not then a 70-200 f2.8 might be an acceptable replacement, but I'd have thought 85 f1.4 to be an essential tool for portrait work.
The Tamron is attractive for the price, but what puts me off is the extending barrel when zooming, and the lack of OSS. I’ve also seen reports that it’s tracking for sports isn’t as good as the 1st party lenses. I can’t help thinking that if I bought it, I’d end up swapping it out after 6-12 months

Is there an option to sell the 85mm GM and get the 70-200mm f2.8 GM II plus a used Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN?
That would be a great solution, but realistically I’d only get £100 to £200 from the swap of 85mm lenses, which isn’t enough to bridge the gap between the two 70-200s.

I should also have stated that I’m looking at used, so could get the 70-200 mk1 for around £1300, versus over £2k for a used or grey mk2.

It's a DSLR design lens. Optically it amazing.
I'd suggest the sigma 105mm f2.8 DN.

There is also a Sony 90mm macro in sales ;)
I don’t want to spend a lot, just something for fun (y)

The Tamron is attractive for the price, but what puts me off is the extending barrel when zooming, and the lack of OSS. I’ve also seen reports that it’s tracking for sports isn’t as good as the 1st party lenses. I can’t help thinking that if I bought it, I’d end up swapping it out after 6-12 months
I found tracking in the Tamron fine except for dogs running fast towards the camera, but every lens I’ve had struggles with this, although the 70-200mm f2.8 GM II has been the best. When I say struggles, I mean a hit rate under 90%.

I’ve seen several reports of the 70-200mm GM having AF issues though, I think both Manny and Jared reported a couple of issues. Nothing to get unduly concerned about I don’t believe, just not perfect.

That would be a great solution, but realistically I’d only get £100 to £200 from the swap of 85mm lenses, which isn’t enough to bridge the gap between the two 70-200s.

I should also have stated that I’m looking at used, so could get the 70-200 mk1 for around £1300, versus over £2k for a used or grey mk2.
Just looked, I didn’t realise how much the Sigma 85mm’s are used tbh.

Personally, I can't fault the Tamron but I haven't really used it with AF on tracking subjects so.....

The Voigtlander 65mm f2 APO Macro is supposed to be very good. It's a bit short for me though, I like a longer macro and really liked my Sigma 150mm.

Tamron 70-180mm is an excellent lens overall. Had no issues tracking a small child even on A7riv. Had a great time using it.

It's only issue is that it's a dust sucker.

What would you do?
Don't rule out the Sony 70-200 f4, do you really need f2.8 ? It's a very underrated lens, plenty of examples on flickr to study, could be worth going for a mint used one to see how you get on with the 70-200 range. The Mk1 f2.8 really isn't very good, focus issues and it's not only heavy but very unbalanced. I can walk around for hours with the A7IV and 70-200 f4 or f2.8 Mk II on a wrist strap holding it with 2 fingers. Kind of regret selling the f4 as it was fantastic bang for buck.

From a few weeks ago when she was last dragged out the lock up!!

My oldest car is my 2001 MX5. We went to Saltburn in it recently and there was a horrible rattle from the back on the way home. I thought the exhaust internals had fallen apart but when I looked it was the heat shield which had rusted and disintegrated, it crumbled to the touch. It's going in for a new one on Friday.

My oldest car is my 2001 MX5. We went to Saltburn in it recently and there was a horrible rattle from the back on the way home. I thought the exhaust internals had fallen apart but when I looked it was the heat shield which had rusted and disintegrated, it crumbled to the touch. It's going in for a new one on Friday.
Would have been a good excuse to get rid of the cat and put a straight through Racing Beat system on and if feeling flush a new Racing Beat manifold for the icing on the cake lol

Would have been a good excuse to get rid of the cat and put a straight through Racing Beat system on and if feeling flush a new Racing Beat manifold for the icing on the cake lol

If only I knew what any of that was :D and I doubt my mechanic would know either :D

Back