The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you have another email address email enquiring about something else. See if they're active. You'll get an idea if they're ignoring you then.
All good, I've had a reply and they're sending a replacement and refunding return postage (y)

Last edited:
8 works best for me, with a strong graphic.
Thanks. I have to say I felt quite conspicuous at times with my ‘big’ camera, I can see why street togs like the more discrete cameras.

Thanks. I have to say I felt quite conspicuous at times with my ‘big’ camera, I can see why street togs like the more discrete cameras.

Nobody takes any notice of people with Ricoh GR, same as people with phones. It 100% makes street easier and less confrontational.

One of the first pictures taken with my A7 and my new Voigtlander 50mm f1.2.

The falling snow, taken from the bedroom window. At f1.2 of course.

DSC04455.jpg

I don't know when I'll get out with it as me and Mrs are both down with things at the moment.

So, my Sony mount manual lens collection now consists of...

Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 35mm f1.2, 50mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.
TTArtisan 50mm f2.
Pergear 35mm f1.4... decision pending and I'm waiting for Pergear to reply.

I have no plans to buy anything else but I might if a nice 28mm comes out in Sony mount. Until then I have the Sony f2 and quite a few film era f2.8's.

PS.
I got that lens from Robert White on ebay for £774 whilst they're £938 on the Robert White website. Quite a saving.

Last edited:
Nobody takes any notice of people with Ricoh GR, same as people with phones. It 100% makes street easier and less confrontational.
28mm is a bit too wide so the only 'compact' cameras that would interest me are the RX1R II and Fuji X100V but both are very expensive, especially for me who does very little street photography.

28mm is a bit too wide so the only 'compact' cameras that would interest me are the RX1R II and Fuji X100V but both are very expensive, especially for me who does very little street photography.

One thing with the X100 line is that the AF may not meet your expectations and MF isn't really a nice experience, IMO, due to the feel of it.

I watched a Manny Ortiz vid in which he bemoaned the AF of his X100v so it looks like they're still not up to the standard of other kit. He does still like the camera though.

A cheap way could be something like the cheap and cheerful MFT Panasonic GX80 and a 17mm lens (35mm FF FoV) or even a cheapo film era 28mm f2.8 giving a FF FoV of 56mm.

Last edited:
One thing with the X100 line is that the AF may not meet your expectations and MF isn't really a nice experience, IMO, due to the feel of it.

I watched a Manny Ortiz vid in which he bemoaned the AF of his X100v so it looks like they're still not up to the standard of other kit. He does still like the camera though.

A cheap way could be something like the cheap and cheerful MFT Panasonic GX80 and a 17mm lens (35mm FF FoV) or even a cheapo film era 28mm f2.8 giving a FF FoV of 56mm.
AF speed doesn't matter for street photography, at least not for me as I don't have the nerve to do people. Also, with these cameras DOF is quite large so you can use hyperfocal.

AF speed doesn't matter for street photography, at least not for me as I don't have the nerve to do people. Also, with these cameras DOF is quite large so you can use hyperfocal.

I think the AF could be an issue and it's not just speed its accuracy. I've honestly never had so many OOF pictures from a modern digital camera. Just about every review I've seen mentions this, it's not just the speed it's that it gets it wrong more often than I'd expect. The X100s/f I had had zero feel and were very light. It really wasn't a great experience.

Street is not and never will be my thing. Looking at the modern way it's done it seem to be sometimes with minimal DoF and mono with crushed blacks. It's a look that doesn't appeal to me at all. If I was tempted I think I'd go for deeper depth and possibly zone or some other pre set MF or if going AF a camera with good AF and wide area.

Last edited:
I think the AF could be an issue and it's not just speed its accuracy. I've honestly never had so many OOF pictures from a modern digital camera. Just about every review I've seen mentions this, it's not just the speed it's that it gets it wrong more often than I'd expect. The X100s/f I had had zero feel and were very light. It really wasn't a great experience.

Street is not and never will be my thing. Looking at the modern way it's done it seem to be sometimes with minimal DoF and mono with crushed blacks. It's a look that doesn't appeal to me at all. If I was tempted I think I'd go for deeper depth and possibly zone or some other pre set MF or if going AF a camera with good AF and wide area.

Alan, I've not experienced lots of missed focus shots with my X100F, yes its not fast by modern camera standards but its usually accurate. I totally agree that MF has no feel, and is something that I rarely use.

@snerkler - the camera size is mainly in the users head, most people don't care, and in places where there are lots of visitors then its never been an issue.

Alan, I've not experienced lots of missed focus shots with my X100F, yes its not fast by modern camera standards but its usually accurate. I totally agree that MF has no feel, and is something that I rarely use.

@snerkler - the camera size is mainly in the users head, most people don't care, and in places where there are lots of visitors then its never been an issue.

As above, I don't know if I've seen a review which doesn't criticise the AF.

Most of my problems are in my head :LOL:

Whilst I agree mostly I do think it can also depend on where you are. Shooting in large cities or touristy places you are far less likely to stand out, whereas in small towns where I live you stick out like a sore thumb and it’s not common place. You do get some weird looks from time to time. Apart from being incredibly shy I do think this is another reason why people street photography is not something I’m comfortable with, you’ll either get your lights knocked out or reported for being some kind of weirdo :LOL:

Whilst I agree mostly I do think it can also depend on where you are. Shooting in large cities or touristy places you are far less likely to stand out, whereas in small towns where I live you stick out like a sore thumb and it’s not common place. You do get some weird looks from time to time. Apart from being incredibly shy I do think this is another reason why people street photography is not something I’m comfortable with, you’ll either get your lights knocked out or reported for being some kind of weirdo :LOL:

I agree small towns and less busy/touristy places are more of a challenge, but the more you do it, the more comfortable it becomes, and yes pointing your camera at certain things can mark you out as a weirdo who needs reporting :ROFLMAO: Can get plenty of death stares as well :ROFLMAO: but you can get those with any camera even a more discrete one, and sometimes being more covert can definitely make you stand out! Definitely need your wits about you, especially if shooting after dark.

Has anyone tried to push Pixel shift outdoors?

Well absolutely nobody cared about me walking around with non-DN sigma 85mm art yesterday. You need something along the lines of grey and black 600mm to start really attracting attention. I can attest that really works

I think attracting attention or not must depend on where you are. I could take you to places where you'd definitely get attention and very likely be worried about your safety carrying obvious and possibly expensive camera kit. Why anyone would want to carry obvious and possibly expensive kit in such places in another matter :D I don't even like the odd stare you can get in non tourist places.

I could take you to places where you'd definitely get attention and very likely be worried about your safety carrying obvious and possibly expensive camera kit
I frankly would not like to go to any such place for any reason, ever.

My Gosh. 16 seconds in. Does he really shoot with all that guff in his VF?
Are you talking about all the info on the screen? I sometimes have that screen.

Are you talking about all the info on the screen? I sometimes have that screen.

I like mine as clear as possible, apart from battery indicator, aperture, shutter, ISO and possibly a level and a histogram although you can't have both with my A7. That lot is quite enough for me.

I like mine as clear as possible, apart from battery indicator, aperture, shutter, ISO and possibly a level and a histogram although you can't have both with my A7. That lot is quite enough for me.
More often than not I have the histogram in theVF, but on the LCD I do tend to have the full info so that I can quickly check what settings, WB etc etc I have.

More often than not I have the histogram in theVF, but on the LCD I do tend to have the full info so that I can quickly check what settings, WB etc etc I have.

I have minimal on my screens. The 'disp' toggles between nothing > level > histogram > nothing.

I think with most people switching to phone cameras now and dedicated cameras a much rarer site it makes bigger cameras stand out all the more. I've found people are increasingly surprised and even confused that I'm just using a camera as a hobby and not professionally. It is a big advantage of the little RX1R which has never drawn any comments but while it's still a very capable little camera, it is limited in its flexibility.

I think with most people switching to phone cameras now and dedicated cameras a much rarer site it makes bigger cameras stand out all the more. I've found people are increasingly surprised and even confused that I'm just using a camera as a hobby and not professionally. It is a big advantage of the little RX1R which has never drawn any comments but while it's still a very capable little camera, it is limited in its flexibility.
I don’t know why more conversion lenses aren’t available like you have with the X100 to give that bit more flexibility if needed. That being said it’s still ‘only’ 28mm on the X100, it would be better if it was 24mm.

Back