The Animal & Nature Duffers.............

Following on from my "otter arses" (in the bird duffers thread) :thinking:

Taken this morning:

Says Mother otter to her three young'uns:

"Quick, look the other way, it's that perv photographer who was 'togging your backsides the other day!"​

:D:D:D:D:D

4222935494_015823f5bb_o.jpg

Having made a few contributions to the bird duffers, I managed an animal duffer today :bang:

Behold the leaping tiger....

4225580607_dc6c18ae3e_o.jpg

Great capture, even got some of the railings in for added impact.

Up to your usual Whipsnade standard then Yvonne :D :coat:

Having made a few contributions to the bird duffers, I managed an animal duffer today :bang:

Behold the leaping tiger....

4225580607_dc6c18ae3e_o.jpg

Another inspirational shot Yv - care to share your technique :D

I can't give away such valuable trade secrets! :eek: However, I believe you can achieve the same effect with some of those Photoshop filters :LOL:

Appreciate your modesty here Yv but think of the new toggers on TP who aspire to such an inspirational shot :cool:

I think the best tiger shot I ever got thankyou very much :p

Yeah I agree with that (y) :dons tin helmet: :D

Appreciate your modesty here Yv but think of the new toggers on TP who aspire to such an inspirational shot :cool:

Yes, you are of course correct, one should offer all the help one can. Basically its the 'fresh air focus' technique. It requires 2 possible focal planes [in this case, the tiger and the fence] and actually focusing on a third, technically non-existant, focal point somewhere between the two. Its actually quite difficult to achieve as of course the camera would like something more solid to attach its focus to, but a bit of practice and the results can be as amazing as this one (y)

Yeah I agree with that (y) :dons tin helmet: :D

(y) :p

Yes, you are of course correct, one should offer all the help one can. Basically its the 'fresh air focus' technique. It requires 2 possible focal planes [in this case, the tiger and the fence] and actually focusing on a third, technically non-existant, focal point somewhere between the two. Its actually quite difficult to achieve as of course the camera would like something more solid to attach its focus to, but a bit of practice and the results can be as amazing as this one (y)

(y) :p

Cheers for explaining the virtual focal plane technique in such an eloquent way Yv - I now see where I have being getting it wrong :p

Just thought I'd contribute to this fantastic thread with one of my greyhounds, Bill, who I captured magnificently as I called him to me.

bill_duffer.jpg

Note the perfectly exposed snow, the illusion of the 4 inch teeth that he hasn't got, the missing feet and the slightly in focus crotch.

I must confess though - I did sharpen this after resizing it.

this is one i took earlier of my dog playing in the snow in the garden. I haven't edited it, it's exactly as it came off the camera.

019-2.jpg

Note the perfectly exposed snow, the illusion of the 4 inch teeth that he hasn't got, the missing feet and the slightly in focus crotch.

Excellent motion Blur (y)
you have captured the moment (and the movement) , dare I say, Superbly :cool:

Excellent motion Blur (y)
you have captured the moment (and the movement) , dare I say, Superbly :cool:

Thank you, although I think I fluffed it a little, because of the in focus crotch you can guess at it being a dog rather than a rabid blanket.

He's a bit of a lummox is Bill, mind you if he saw this and could speak, he'd probably say the same about me.

Thank you, although I think I fluffed it a little, because of the in focus crotch you can guess at it being a dog rather than a rabid blanket.
No don't put your self down that for me is the best bit (y)
Dare I go as far as to say that its the Dogs b****x? :coat:

He's a bit of a lummox is Bill, mind you if he saw this and could speak, he'd probably say the same about me.
:D

I’m obviously a bit embarrassed by the snow appearing to be the correct colour (could just be my wonky monitor mind you) and whisker sharpness but those things were just mistakes :(

With the benefit of hindsight I should’ve shot later in the day to give some nasty long shadows and enhance the crapiness. In every other respect I think I made a fair fist of this. Poor focus, desperately noisy, subject’s eyes closed, DoF way too shallow.

My main triumph is in the composition though IMHO, particularly the nose bisection and chin cut-off. What do you think? C + C most welcome - bring it on and be as brutal as you like, I have a thick skin and can take it! :)

8626.jpg

I’m obviously a bit embarrassed by the snow appearing to be the correct colour (could just be my wonky monitor mind you) and whisker sharpness but those things were just mistakes :(

With the benefit of hindsight I should’ve shot later in the day to give some nasty long shadows and enhance the crapiness. In every other respect I think I made a fair fist of this. Poor focus, desperately noisy, subject’s eyes closed, DoF way too shallow.

My main triumph is in the composition though IMHO, particularly the nose bisection and chin cut-off. What do you think? C + C most welcome - bring it on and be as brutal as you like, I have a thick skin and can take it! :)

8626.jpg

Well to be blunt about it Alison its a commendable contribution but those 2 black whiskers between each cheek and ear really niggle me - a bit sloppy really and should have be cloned out :D

Tom

Yep great Image Alison the focus is just about spot on ( where you don't want it to be)
And I think that you have followed the "rule of thirds" to a "T" :D

Dare I go as far as to say that its the Dogs b****x? :coat:

:clap: (y)

Well done Alison, the chin cut-off is impressive - it keeps me focused at the whisker level rather than anywhere else. Did the dog happen to step into a snow drift just as you took the shot, or was he/she stunned after running through the snowman and ending up with what I am assuming to be the scarf of the snowman about his/her neck? :D

Well to be blunt about it Alison its a commendable contribution but those 2 black whiskers between each cheek and ear really niggle me - a bit sloppy really and should have be cloned out :D

Tom

But I cloned the cheek whiskers in just to try and make the image even more awful! Where did I go wrong? Do you think they’re too symmetrical or something? :shrug:

Yep great Image Alison the focus is just about spot on ( where you don't want it to be)
And I think that you have followed the "rule of thirds" to a "T" :D
What kind words of encouragement, cheers Cobra :)

........Did the dog happen to step into a snow drift just as you took the shot, or was he/she stunned after running through the snowman and ending up with what I am assuming to be the scarf of the snowman about his/her neck? :D

I think that the following photo was the cause of the Snow Mohican hairdo – and hey, as luck would have it, yet another duffer! I’m particularly proud of the shadow left of frame. It is my own and deliberately shot in such a way that I would be unable to crop it out in PP:

8590.jpg

But I cloned the cheek whiskers in just to try and make the image even more awful! Where did I go wrong? Do you think they’re too symmetrical or something? :shrug:

That's even worse Alison - manipulating a image to increase the duffness :nono: :D

It's all about reaction time:

Actually that is not a total failure
I am sure Charlie (Sawman) would be very pleased with that
He keeps cutting off the tails, :D
so if you would be so kind as to lend him your arse end I am sure it would be appreciated (y)

Crap Stoat.

crapstoat.jpg

:LOL:

An arm in the air, like Mr Banana, might help.

<end of thread hijack>

Last edited:
Crap light,fast hare = crap shot.......:D

hare5.jpg

A fine study of motion blur, Tact sharp on the ears ( a hares biggest, well nearly) Asset
All in all a nice natural study in wild life Ade (y)

I was playing with my new 50 1.4 with my mate Bert on the sofa.
Spoilt by the tongue I think...

img0752g.jpg

:bonk:

J

AJH_6901.jpg

OK, it was my bad! I couldn't position my camera any lower to clear that branch before he scarpered :D.

I was a little upset, looking at the photo afterwards, because the lighting and the background were especially nice. Still, things aren't as bad as they seem - we have lots of red squirrels around here, so I will get plenty more chances. I just wish that that was true for everybody who's posted in this thread, because some people looked to have missed the 'shot of a lifetime' :(!

Such is (wild)life, I suppose :shrug:.

May I present this:

ooops.jpg

I don`t usually crit my own work,but the glorious OOF deer head in the background is wonderfully brought out by the amazing sharpness of the grass in the foreground.

Damien Hirst,watch out young man.......:D

May I present this:

ooops.jpg

I don`t usually crit my own work,but the glorious OOF deer head in the background is wonderfully brought out by the amazing sharpness of the grass in the foreground.

Damien Hirst,watch out young man.......:D

:thinking: Since when have you taken up Fauna and Flora shots Ade - takes a vivid imagination to see a deer head in there :D

Back