The Darter

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Down the canal I found this common male Red Darter dragonfly - which seemed to have 2 hunting points too which it continually returned to. The first was on a blade of grass looking toward the water, the other on a leaf overlooking the grass verge. It did have a third spot - my hand, onto which it happily clambered for a minute or two while I got some shots. You can see the wing positions change in each one on my hand, as he took off and landed again a few seconds later, so the wings therefore were in different positions.

Exif:

Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/200 sec, f/7.1, ISO 200

Paul.

Great set, well done :)

#6 is the best shot of the lot... looks like it decided to smile for you...

#5 looks like it is dribbling.... lmao

#1 needs cropping left and bottom as it is too central.

Oh wow :D

You like then? LOL.. This lens kicks butt! I'm very pleased to be getting some of these shots hand held too !

:canon:

Paul.
Just wish I could afford something as good but for Nikon. :(

There are great lenses for Nikon, but like Canon users, you have to pay a premium... In your case that would be over £600...

Paul.
:(

You don't need a canon/Nikon lens at all... sigma and Tamron both have excellent macro lens and cheapish second hand. Both easily comparable to the L canon macro lens optics. Paul is obviously passionate about his lens and has proven he is proficient with it. But don't think this quality is out of your reach Graham.

You and Bloody Carl and your Dragons. Simply Brilliant mate. I really need to get further afield than my garden and get some dragons.

Brilliant series Paul.

You and Bloody Carl and your Dragons. Simply Brilliant mate. I really need to get further afield than my garden and get some dragons.

Brilliant series Paul.

Cheers m8.

I tell you, this one seemed almost tame enough to take home and meet the family. Simply stepped on to my hand when proffered to it. They like to sunbathe and my skin must have been warmer than the grass and leaf, so it maybe thought, "why not?" and took a step or two...

Paul.

It's always nice to get them so close that you can observe them properly with your eyes rather than through the camera!

Agreed Robin - maybe I'll get lucky with one of the bigger hawkers one day too. :)

Paul.

Brilliant series Paul.
My sentiments exactly! I haven't even seen one dragon yet this year :(

Back