The Defender - fire painted.

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by Von Wong's recent visit I have decided to venture outside of my comfort zone, not only within photoshop but also and most importantly exploring a more creative side of photography - This is my first attempt at something creative, something experimental and more conceptual in nature.

So I thought for my first every conceptual shot I'd grab a gunman, add some fire / smoke and raise the bar by doing the whole thing on a rig, as they say, challenge accepted. I think it turned out ok :cool:

The Defender by vanelder, on Flickr

C&C very welcome

Epic! Being really picky theres something not quite right about the amount of rotation on the front wheel and how that interacting with the fire but seriously thats being super critical.

I'm with the two above comments. But this is definitely my favourite of your shots! Well done! Looks great!

No matter what the finer details are I think it is brilliant!!

Well done Barry.

Carol

not sure what to say about the wheel, it's from the same exposure as the fire, just brightened it up here and there - perhaps an optical illusion?

I agree with the number plate, i started removing it and just looked really messy - tried to darken it and it just didn't look right, so left as is.

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming.

Last edited:
oh one worthy addition to the wheel topic, talking about this photo in to many places.

Fire doesn't motion blur on rig shots, I've tried several methods now none of which blur the fire - so what you see is what happened when we pushed the LR one way and pulled the fire rope the opposite way. One night we tried several different things, to the point where the guy with firewall was pretty much running and the car was doing about 5mph, or close - still, the firewall looked as normal

I think it turned out more than 'OK', WOW!! I know nothing about the techniques used but it’s impressive – you can have my 110 any day to practice on! For me the wheel blur is fine, it may not be realistic but I think its ok, love the burning car in right bg, the burning forest fits in well with the rest of the image – for me the 4 fire streaks above the vehicle are a little distracting, as is the lone fire streaks middle left – but then again I’m a Defender own - excellent (y):clap:

saw this on andrew thompsons fb page. Damn good effort.l think a longer boom would help just a bit too close.

Maybe try layer copying the fire on the floor and applying a slight motion blur? 5mph seems quite quick for a rig shot too.

the 5mph was a test to see if we could get motion blur on a firewall, which we didn't - so in "real" world, I know fire on rig shots don't get motion blur, so moving forwards i can confidently work with this.

Regarding addition fake blur, not really for me - i prefer to keep things as close to sooc as possible, if fire doesn't cause motion blur then that's depicted within my images :)

Thanks though, i'm sure others will.

That's fair enough then, people either want SOOC or to create an image they had in their mind.

Still, you're pushing the boundaries of what's possible with fire and vehicles.

Still a bit surprised you haven't tried a Back To The Future shot tbh!

Still, you're pushing the boundaries of what's possible with fire and vehicles.

Thank you! Still much more to come, this was only the first in a series of images - The waters have been tested, now it's time to stretch the boundaries :)

Still a bit surprised you haven't tried a Back To The Future shot tbh!
It's in my sketch/doodle/ideas book, soon it will come, yes! :) :clap:

Seen a few attempts at these sorts of things over the last few months and to bo totally honest this is the only one that pulls it off, well done.

The only crit I would say is the landy is too clean, for that shot it would have been great covered in mud, the lights splattered with mud too. or just generally dirty to make it look as though it had been to hell and back

Seen a few attempts at these sorts of things over the last few months and to bo totally honest this is the only one that pulls it off, well done.

The only crit I would say is the landy is too clean, for that shot it would have been great covered in mud, the lights splattered with mud too. or just generally dirty to make it look as though it had been to hell and back

Thank you for nice words and feedback - I agree, thinking about it, some mud and dirt would really have helped, I'll take this on board for the next in the series.

I was looking at this shot on my FB at work, people walking past were looking at the screen saying it looked good, for me it looks awesome. From all the comments above i agree with the landy being a bit close but wow.

I love looking at your work and look forward to seeing what your going to do next.

Thank you for nice words and feedback - I agree, thinking about it, some mud and dirt would really have helped, I'll take this on board for the next in the series.

I think that without, and with the model, it's coming in to save the day. That's certainly what I took from it. Don't think here the mud is necessary. Each to their own. The shot is amazing.

As I said in your other thread. Your fire shots are improving each time and I really do think you've smashed a boundary with this one.

Back