The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've posted these in the Motorsport forum but thought I would post them in this thread to. My first race meeting of the season at Donington Park yesterday. All shot with an X-T4 and the Fuji 100-40mm lens.

Apparently the long end of the 100-400 is the weakest. From what I've heard, the 1.4x and 70-300 is excellent, but the 2x is not. If you're looking for the occasional bit of extra reach, you're probably better off with the TC.
Think the 100-400 depends on the copy you get there seems to be some sample varation about. Great advantage of the 70-300 isw the protability of it so when I've let the GAS subside thats no doubt the way I will go :)

Apparently the long end of the 100-400 is the weakest. From what I've heard, the 1.4x and 70-300 is excellent, but the 2x is not. If you're looking for the occasional bit of extra reach, you're probably better off with the TC.
Images 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 that I've just posted were all shot wide open at 400mm. Mine is as sharp as I could want there so I can only think that the early lenses weren't that great, or there is significant copy variation and I got lucky with a good one.

Last edited:
I think this is mis-information ;), my GFX and the 4 lens I have can be comfortably bought for less than £6.5K (s/h) - there are plenty of X series photographers who have more than that invested (and if I had a zoom instead of the 3 primes I have, you could lop £2K off that!)
Sure you not on comission David :D
No doubt is the most value for quality you can get on the market.

Sure you not on comission David :D
No doubt is the most value for quality you can get on the market.

If you don't mind the AF speed, the slow frame rate, weight, bulk, etc, etc. Its a lovely system, though I am quite often reaching for the X100F for just going out. If I've got a purpose in mind, then its the GFX.

I've been so impressed with the GFX, that I've actually sold most of my film gear, and all my interchangeable X series stuff. I don't actually miss any of it, and I'm not craving any more GF lenses, what I have suits my photography, So I think in the long run it might actually save me money, except I'm now spending it on places to go to shoot, but maybe thats a good thing!

Last edited:
I was an early adopter of the GFX (50S) when it first came out so I paid premium for my first body and lenses but I have no regrets it is an excellent system for my Landscape Photography. I now have the 20-35, 32-64 and 100-200 and they cover everything I need. I also recently got a second body (SH) and extra Tilt Adapter so I can keep the 20-35 on one and the 32-64 on the other. I don't use the 100-200 much but I wouldn't be without it. I admit it does take a bit of carrying around particularly up the Tors on Dartmoor where I am regularly hikiing but while I still can I will carry the whole kit as I hate changing lenses in the field with digital mirrorless. I have also got a Bronica SQ-Ai kit that weighs more but I still like to shoot film so they're keepers as well.

If you don't mind the AF speed, the slow frame rate, weight, bulk, etc, etc. Its a lovely system, though I am quite often reaching for the X100F for just going out. If I've got a purpose in mind, then its the GFX.

I've been so impressed with the GFX, that I've actually sold most of my film gear, and all my interchangeable X series stuff. I don't actually miss any of it, and I'm not craving any more GF lenses, what I have suits my photography, So I think in the long run it might actually save me money, except I'm now spending it on places to go to shoot, but maybe thats a good thing!
Thats the way it should be. Had a look of what I had the other day I have less gear than I have had for years (won't mention the 33mm I just brought off Dave and then I shall get rid of my 35mm I got now).

Images 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 that I've just posted were all shot wide open at 400mm. Mine is as sharp as I could want there so I can only think that the early lenses weren't that great, or there is significant copy variation and I got lucky with a good one.
Agree with that out of the 2 100-400 I have had over the years the one was excellent at 400mm the other not quite as good.

Think the 100-400 depends on the copy you get there seems to be some sample varation about. Great advantage of the 70-300 isw the protability of it so when I've let the GAS subside thats no doubt the way I will go :)

I've never heared of this, everyone I know who has had a 100-400 has been impressed....

Thank you. Very glad I chose Fuji over Canon or Sony despite reading loads of articles online about how Fuji cameras can't cope with fast action
You reckon that's generally nonsense then? Or are we talking about fractions of a second, diminishing returns etc etc

You reckon that's generally nonsense then? Or are we talking about fractions of a second, diminishing returns etc etc
I've not shot with a Canon or Sony mirrorless so I can't comment. I think the tracking function is better on those brands but I don't shoot like that anyway so it's a moot point. I've tried the tracking AF and it keeps up with GT3 cars absolutely no problem and they're pretty quick. I just find that a weird way to shoot so I don't use it.

I think my motorsport work over the past year speaks for itself. I've never had an AF problem or felt the X-T4 can't keep up with racing cars on track.

I am officially in the money for an X-T20 and an XC15-45mm lens (or one of the pancakes) if anyone is selling. As a new member I dont have access to classifieds yet, but can provide ebay feedback and my feedback thread from thefretboard for peace of mind.

I've not shot with a Canon or Sony mirrorless so I can't comment. I think the tracking function is better on those brands but I don't shoot like that anyway so it's a moot point. I've tried the tracking AF and it keeps up with GT3 cars absolutely no problem and they're pretty quick. I just find that a weird way to shoot so I don't use it.

I think my motorsport work over the past year speaks for itself. I've never had an AF problem or felt the X-T4 can't keep up with racing cars on track.
Do you just use a particular AF point?

Do you just use a particular AF point?
Usually the largest of the Single AF point squares, unless I'm shooting through the fence where I make it smaller. I can use the joystick to move it wherever I need it in the frame really quickly. I have the AF mode set to All so I can just cycle through all the sizes with the rear dial. The camera is in Boost Mode, Frame Rate Priority as this also makes the AF system quicker. Back button focus, although I have my AEL button set to trigger AF as I find it more comfortable to put my thumb on that than the AF ON button for the X-T4.

It might be because I spent many years shooting with a DSLR before moving to mirrorless but I'm more comfortable doing it this way than using the Tracking mode. I did try tracking for a bit on Sunday but quickly when back to a single point.

I am officially in the money for an X-T20 and an XC15-45mm lens (or one of the pancakes) if anyone is selling. As a new member I dont have access to classifieds yet, but can provide ebay feedback and my feedback thread from thefretboard for peace of mind.
XC 15-45 is very under-rated. Only thing I dont like in the PowerZoom.

My wife has this lens with her little X-T100. It's plenty sharp enough and you can get some great images from it but the PowerZoom does my head in.

My wife has this lens with her little X-T100. It's plenty sharp enough and you can get some great images from it but the PowerZoom does my head in.

Hopefully as a starter lens it'll suit me well. Just battling with these inflated prices; X-T20 went on ebay for less than £300 in March; now they're fetching over £400 for the body alone. Some muppet has one up for a grand with a kit lens. Madness

Hopefully as a starter lens it'll suit me well. Just battling with these inflated prices; X-T20 went on ebay for less than £300 in March; now they're fetching over £400 for the body alone. Some muppet has one up for a grand with a kit lens. Madness
If your budget allows the 18-55 kit lens is better in absolutely every way. It's a cracking little lens, calling it a kit lens does it a disservice really.

It is definitely madness, patience will help. I sold an X-M1 recently on eBay for £175 (in 3 hours!!!), a couple of years ago they (and the X-E1) would fetch less than £100. Same with the X-T1, they have gone up around £100.

If your budget allows the 18-55 kit lens is better in absolutely every way. It's a cracking little lens, calling it a kit lens does it a disservice really.
Its quite a bit bigger though. But it looks like most of the cameras I'm looking at come with this lens, the 15-45mm is harder to come by.

It is definitely madness, patience will help. I sold an X-M1 recently on eBay for £175 (in 3 hours!!!), a couple of years ago they (and the X-E1) would fetch less than £100. Same with the X-T1, they have gone up around £100.

I might have to settle for an X-T10. Is the AF really that much worse? There was one on ebay with the 18-55mm for £350. I really want this sorted before I go to Mull in the second week of May.

Last edited:
Its quite a bit bigger though. But it looks like most of the cameras I'm looking at come with this lens, the 15-45mm is harder to come by.

I might have to settle for an X-T10. Is the AF really that much worse? There was one on ebay with the 18-55mm for £350. I really want this sorted before I go to Mull in the second week of May.

It's all relative though, the 18-55 is still a tiny lens, especially for something with f/2.8 at the wide end. It's way, way better built than the XC lens, and it has an aperture ring. And, more important than any of that, it's not a PowerZoom :D

Sadly you probably want both - X-T20 and 18-55 - my wife uses this combo (along with a XF23mmF2) - the XT-T2 and the XT-20 were both quite significant upgrades over the previous versions especially with regard to performance and handling.

Sadly you probably want both - X-T20 and 18-55 - my wife uses this combo (along with a XF23mmF2) - the XT-T2 and the XT-20 were both quite significant upgrades over the previous versions especially with regard to performance and handling.
Bugger.

Does she want to sell them? :ROFLMAO: Is that XF23mm one of the Fuji pancakes? Dream setup that for a parttimer like me.

Last edited:
Bugger.

Does she want to sell them? :ROFLMAO: Is that XF23mm one of the Fuji pancakes? Dream setup that for a parttimer like me.
I've managed to bag an X-T20 and the 18-55mm for a decent price today!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice to a n00b like me. This seems like a pretty nice place to be.

Thats my dilema to an extent I could sell the 70-300 and for the price a t/c would cost I could get a 100-400.
You sold me one of your 100-400's a few years ago and like you it's had very little use, so I'm thinking of getting a 70-300. Maybe we should talk! I'll have a proper think and dig out the box and take a couple of snaps.

You sold me one of your 100-400's a few years ago and like you it's had very little use, so I'm thinking of getting a 70-300. Maybe we should talk! I'll have a proper think and dig out the box and take a couple of snaps.
I forgotten that. We met in the services near Newbury I think. It's that old dilmena of what we want and reality of what we would use :D

Is there a way of adding custom WB ? I was trying to add a film simulation but got stuck at the WB which wouldn’t let me change it

Well... Trigger pulled.
X-T5 and 33mm F/1.4 now in my grubby mits to go alongside the X-T3, 2 and Instax :)
Waiting on the dual battery charger arriving in the post.

Has anyone used the Lexar 64GB V60 UHS2 cards in them? Or any other recommendations (most of my cards are UHS1 32GB V30, which will be fine, but with the larger file sizes I thought I might splash out on a couple of larger cards too.

Well... Trigger pulled.
X-T5 and 33mm F/1.4 now in my grubby mits to go alongside the X-T3, 2 and Instax :)
Waiting on the dual battery charger arriving in the post.

Has anyone used the Lexar 64GB V60 UHS2 cards in them? Or any other recommendations (most of my cards are UHS1 32GB V30, which will be fine, but with the larger file sizes I thought I might splash out on a couple of larger cards too.
Nice (y)

I use 2 x SanDisk extreme pro 128gb cards in mine. Got a good deal on prime day. Not had any issues with them as yet. I decided against the UHS2 cards (mainly due to cost), and I don`t shoot in burst mode, so no need really.

Back