The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I always shoot RAW + JPG Fine, never use the JPGs though.
I'm probably too old (and lazy) to change now, but tempted to give it a go ;)

Or just set it up in post.

Last edited:
40mp is blowing through 256g card, going to switch to Jpeg only for the rest of the week. Would use HEIF but want to share the pics with the lady in the photo and HEIF isn’t compatible with her phone.
I’ve only set it to 5 and 8 fps lol went through over 1000 photos in a day, 256g card can only do 4000 with HEIF+RAW. Since it’s holiday photos and I’ve found a recipe I like so I’m going to stick to this one recipe the whole week and see how I get on. A totally new way of shooting for me for sure, hard to shake the lack of RAW back up comfort but it’s not critical for “snaps”.

If I came back from a few days away with over 1000 images per day - I'd give myself a serious kicking! :ROFLMAO:

In my world if I took 1000 images in day I'd get 5/6 keepers
If I took 200 images I'd get 5/6 keepers
and if I took 70 images I'd get 5/6 keepers

In my world I'd have spent a lot less time at the computer sifting through images with the last option, than the first one!

I've only just filled up my first 128Gb card on the Q3 (60MP images - approx 800 images RAW+JPG) after nearly 3 months, but I have 50/60 keepers.

I accept my standards may be lower :) (I may not be after that 'perfect moment shot'), but machine gunning in burst mode is not my style of photography - I'd rather craft a single image!

Last edited:
I always shoot RAW + JPG Fine, never use the JPGs though.

JPG has its uses in camera as you can zoom in further when reviewing.

I struggle with shooting JPG all the time as I find the recipes very lighting dependant, you set up a recipe, its fine, you turn around, the sun is now in a different place and I need to chnage the recipe again to get what I want!

The JPGs are useful for a quick in-camera visualisation though.

JPG has its uses in camera as you can zoom in further when reviewing.

I struggle with shooting JPG all the time as I find the recipes very lighting dependant, you set up a recipe, its fine, you turn around, the sun is now in a different place and I need to chnage the recipe again to get what I want!

The JPGs are useful for a quick in-camera visualisation though.
I just use Classic Chrome Film Simulation on all my Fujis (GFX50S, X-T2 & X100T), when I load the RAWs into LR I put a Classic Chrome preset on all files then start from there with finishing the images. Litterally a couple of minutes per shot.

Last edited:
If I came back from a few days away with over 1000 images per day - I'd give myself a serious kicking! :ROFLMAO:

In my world if I took 1000 images in day I'd get 5/6 keepers
If I took 200 images I'd get 5/6 keepers
and if I took 70 images I'd get 5/6 keepers

In my world I'd have spent a lot less time at the computer sifting through images with the last option, than the first one!

I've only just filled up my first 128Gb card on the Q3 (60MP images - approx 800 images RAW+JPG) after nearly 3 months, but I have 50/60 keepers.

I accept my standards may be lower :) (I may not be after that 'perfect moment shot'), but machine gunning in burst mode is not my style of photography - I'd rather craft a single image!

It’s a combination of setting the FPS way too high + the unfamiliarity of the shutter button being much softer than what I’m used to + the silent nature of the shutter. Normally I can hear the loud clack at every frame. Now I don’t and the frames just goessssssssss.

Also, I kind of have to because she blinks often lol

KP7p3ss.jpeg

Last edited:
I have only ever shot raw (don`t know why exactly, but do like manipulating sometimes.

But did come across this yt video for recipe settings, that some may find interesting. It has made me tempted to try some jpeg only shooting ;)

That’s the recipe I use - it just seems to work really well for everything :)

I just use Classic Chrome Film Simulation on all my Fujis (GFX50S, X-T2 & X100T), when I load the RAWs into LR I put a Classic Chrome preset on all files then start from there with finishing the images. Litterally a couple of minutes per shot.
This site appears to be broken today, but I was reading this yesterday so hopefully it will fix itself: https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/08/18/fujifilm-film-simulations-definitive-guide

There is a section in this article that gives some pretty good reasoning/evidence why the film sims can't be accurately applied in Photoshop; even with the official presets. The differences are marginal to be sure, but still thought it was interesting.

Thanks Chris @chris02 but I'm completely happy with my current workflow. I have tweaked the LR preset to my 3 different sensors, apply them accordingly and am happy with the outputs.

I'm currently here for my files..... In LR.

Reasonably close - touch more contrast in the Jpeg/more shadow pull in the RAWs

X100f SOOC Classic Chrome jpeg

X100f-SOOCCC by Lee, on Flickr

X100f RAW with my one click Fuji profile

FujiLR by Lee, on Flickr

A7Riii RAW with my one click Sony profile

SonyLR by Lee, on Flickr

I'm currently here for my files..... In LR.

Reasonably close - touch more contrast in the Jpeg/more shadow pull in the RAWs

X100f SOOC Classic Chrome jpeg

X100f-SOOCCC by Lee, on Flickr

X100f RAW with my one click Fuji profile

FujiLR by Lee, on Flickr

A7Riii RAW with my one click Sony profile

SonyLR by Lee, on Flickr
Definitely good contrast and shadow recoery in the last two.

Nice peg bag too! ;)

Definitely good contrast and shadow recoery in the last two.

Nice peg bag too! ;)

:ROFLMAO:

I wanted to get them somewhere near just incase I ever used both cameras at the same location/event and didn't want drastically different looks coming out of Lightroom.

I just need to match the drone DNG's to the X100f jpegs now....... :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

I don't dislike the Classic Chrome jpegs btw - I have now modified for that Reggie Portra recipe though but not had the chance to go out yet.....

#raining.....

Its editing like this that goes to show that perhaps it’s not about the camera at all. By that I mean if you can replicate “simulations” in post no matter what camera is used, why do we bother chasing gear ?

should we just spend more time creating our preferred “look” and apply that to our shots ?

Its editing like this that goes to show that perhaps it’s not about the camera at all. By that I mean if you can replicate “simulations” in post no matter what camera is used, why do we bother chasing gear ?

should we just spend more time creating our preferred “look” and apply that to our shots ?

This isn't far away from how I've edited for a while with my own presets anyway. It was just a few tweaks to get them a bit closer to each other. WB makes a good difference to it.

But chasing gear is a different thing I think. I bought the A7 in 2015 for the Focus parking using manual lenses etc. I added an A7Riii a couple of years ago for the eye AF and better high ISO mainly. I added the X100f at the beginning of this year for the more film like actual user experience.

If I can help it I don't want to do any editing at all - spend enough time at a computer as it is. Hence the appeal of the Fujis, for me. I'll only get the RAWs and the computer out for holiday occasions etc

Classic Chrome seems to be everyone's favourite but its always just a tad bit dull and de-saturated for me; although I love what it does to blue skies. Astia and Velvia are too saturated though - I'm quite enjoying Pro Neg Hi at the moment.

Is Classic Negative much different from Classic Chrome? Not available on my cam

Last edited:
If I can help it I don't want to do any editing at all - spend enough time at a computer as it is. Hence the appeal of the Fujis, for me. I'll only get the RAWs and the computer out for holiday occasions etc

Classic Chrome seems to be everyone's favourite but its always just a tad bit dull and de-saturated for me; although I love what it does to blue skies. Astia and Velvia are too saturated though - I'm quite enjoying Pro Neg Hi at the moment.

Funny I have just tried this one on my x-e1, suppose to be a bit like classic chrome.

Dynamic Range: Auto
White Balance: Auto
Noise Reduction: -2
Image Size: Large 3:2
Image Quality: Raw + Jpg fine
Film simulation base: Astia Soft
Highlight Tone: +1
Shadow Tone: -2
Colour: +1
Sharpness: -1

DSCF8889 by Leaky5, on Flickr

I googled classic chrome Vs classic neg, and there's a pretty good article close to the top of the search.
But don't forget you can always tweak either of them :)

I love classic neg, and get irrationally angry about Fuji not bringing it to the XT3 despite having the same internals as the XT4. As such, I can only add it in post thanks to Capture One.

It's very different to other sims, in that it adds significant colour shifts across the tone curve - Whites tend to take on a creamy colour, as the highlights and mids get some warmth and magenta, while shadows take on a green tinge. It also shifts the greens way more towards the emerald tones, and desaturates them slightly. It's based on Fuji Superia IIRC.

I like it for most things, but it's not great for skin tones or artificial lighting.

I love classic neg, and get irrationally angry about Fuji not bringing it to the XT3 despite having the same internals as the XT4. As such, I can only add it in post thanks to Capture One.

The film simulations are not something I frequently use.

However it seems like Fuji are missing an opportunity by not providing a means of updating the older cameras with the newer film simulations. It would potentially allow some consistency across the cameras and strengthen the customer relationship and brand identity - particularly for those of us who have a mix of older and recent bodies.

Theres nothing irrational about that!

The film simulations are not something I frequently use.

However it seems like Fuji are missing an opportunity by not providing a means of updating the older cameras with the newer film simulations. It would potentially allow some consistency across the cameras and strengthen the customer relationship and brand identity - particularly for those of us who have a mix of older and recent bodies.
But then how would they sell us new cameras!?

Here's a shot from a boat ride I took on the Katsura river in Arashiyama. We took a "scenic train" from Arashiyama which runs down the valley for 30mins or so to a nearby town, where most people depart and catch a regular train back - However we found a company that does boat rides back into the city.

It took just over two hours, and was a welcome break from the hectic itinerary we had been running up until then. I was surprised at the route - for the most part it was smooth sailing, but every 10 minutes or so we'd have to drop down through some fast flowing, rocky sections that I really didn't think this kind of boat could do... You can see what I mean here - https://www.kyototourism.org/en/activities/1088/

Definitely recommend it if you're ever in the area.

Kyoto by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Well I’ve today joined the FUJIFILM-X club - my x100vi arrived!

First impressions are:
1) it has some heft for its size, lovely solid construction, nice in the hands. Just oozing quality.
2) it has a bewildering, vast array of setup options and configurations that I need to get my head around. Coming from the Sony world there’s quite a few I’ll need to research.

Really looking forward to using it in earnest hopefully over the weekend - weather permitting.

Jake

First impressions are:
1) it has some heft for its size, lovely solid construction, nice in the hands. Just oozing quality.
2) it has a bewildering, vast array of setup options and configurations that I need to get my head around. Coming from the Sony world there’s quite a few I’ll need to research.

Really looking forward to using it in earnest hopefully over the weekend - weather permitting.

Jake
Congrats and welcome to the Fuji thread and of course the exclusive X100VI club :cool:

First impressions are:

Jake

I've only came to the X100f a couple of months ago alongside Sony FF. I use the X100f in quite a simple way, which is what I wanted it for, so the back and forth between the two brands isn't an issue for me.

I googled classic chrome Vs classic neg, and there's a pretty good article close to the top of the search.
But don't forget you can always tweak either of them :)
I've had a quick look. I basically want Classic Chrome skies and Classic Neg everything else. I think I'm going to have to investigate using presets in Lightroom mobile; I plan to get an iPad eventually; might be a good option

Back