The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

1/4000 covers most things for me but the birding fraternity would argue that it won't catch a diving kingfisher entering the water.
Neither would the electronic shutter though - the individual pixels are exposed for times down to 1\32000s but the entire image is acquired row by row and that takes something like 1\60s so there can still be motion artefacts.

The Vulcan XF558 is coming to sunny North Wales soon and hope to get there with the XT1 and 55-200. Think I should be using RAW & fine, zone & continuous focus, CH, aperture around F8 and keep shuter speed 500 or more and use spot metering? Not tried this before so please shout if I`ve got it wrong.
Cheers

Neither would the electronic shutter though - the individual pixels are exposed for times down to 1\32000s but the entire image is acquired row by row and that takes something like 1\60s so there can still be motion artefacts.

That's why if I really wanted to shoot anything fast I would use my D810 / D750 the AF is still faster. Whilst the X-T1 is very good it's still not as good as a DSLR. That said I'm very happy with mine and would only use the manual shutter. Never the electronic shutter. The image quality and weight ratio is a seriously good compromise though.

The Vulcan XF558 is coming to sunny North Wales soon and hope to get there with the XT1 and 55-200. Think I should be using RAW & fine, zone & continuous focus, CH, aperture around F8 and keep shuter speed 500 or more and use spot metering? Not tried this before so please shout if I`ve got it wrong.
Cheers

Might be better to keep in manual with pre set exposure rather than use spot metering as that could end up fluctuating wildly unless your aim is perfect and the sky is clear or blanket cloud.

Had a chance to get out with my new 10-24mm on my XT1 today. I shot mostly at 10mm, it's wide ! Struggled to get exposure right, probably because it's so wide. I had to do quite a bit of tweaking in Lightroom. Luckily I'm shooting raw and fine, it still astounds me how much detail you can recover from raw images.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/74628687@N07/ptc3S8

Last edited:
Three very nice shots Jim, with some good detail particularly in #2.(y)

George.

I had to reduce the size in order to upload so I've lost some detail.

I'm loving the colours and sharpness with the Fuji XF lenses.

How good is the weather sealing on the XT-1 ?
Today I found out.
Whilst visiting an open garden day somebody accidentally nudged me. My XT-1 fell out of my sling bag dropped about 1 metre onto a solid concrete floor, bounced twice and then rolled into the garden pond. Took me and a friend about 30 seconds to locate it ( it was just below elbow depth). Hooked it out. Ejected the battery and removed the lens ( the lens was full of water). Sensor compartment, battery compartment, SD compartment were all bone dry. Put a fresh lens on and put the battery back in and guess what - the camera is fully operative. Truly amazing.
James

Today I found out.
Whilst visiting an open garden day somebody accidentally nudged me. My XT-1 fell out of my sling bag dropped about 1 metre onto a solid concrete floor, bounced twice and then rolled into the garden pond. Took me and a friend about 30 seconds to locate it ( it was just below elbow depth). Hooked it out. Ejected the battery and removed the lens ( the lens was full of water). Sensor compartment, battery compartment, SD compartment were all bone dry. Put a fresh lens on and put the battery back in and guess what - the camera is fully operative. Truly amazing.
James

That is quite incredible!

Today I found out.
James

That is really good to hear but I won't be putting mine to the test any time soon

1/4000 covers most things for me but the birding fraternity would argue that it won't catch a diving kingfisher entering the water.
They must be jet propelled Kingfisher they are shooting if they need more than 1/4000 to get it. I've taken them at less than that.

They must be jet propelled Kingfisher they are shooting if they need more than 1/4000 to get it. I've taken them at less than that.

That's something you'll need to take up with the birding fraternity on here. That's just what's been reported. Personally, it's a subject I have no interest in.

Today I found out.
James

Good to hear,how bad was the lens was it one of WR ones ? :)

Hands up who else dropped their XT1 the first time they took it out of the house...

It's a tough little bugger , thankfully...!
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: seriously ?
I must admit I dropped my Canon EOS M first time I took it out, the dog took off as soon as I started to focus on something, it landed on a gravel path but apart from a few nicks and dings it's worked flawlessly since. I'm extra careful now with new cameras !

Last edited:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: seriously ?
I must admit I dropped my Canon EOS M first time I took it out, the dog took off as soon as I started to focus on something, it landed on a gravel path but apart from a few nicks and dings it's worked flawlessly since. I'm extra careful now with new cameras !

To be honest, it's kind of a relief - there's a slight scuff on my 18-135 but otherwise it's absolutely fine, and quite reassuring to know it's not super-fragile. My old 650D feels like a toy in comparison.

A non WR lens - it's still drying out - I'll let you know if it works or not when it's fully clear of moisture.
James
Whats the best way to dry a lens ? Can you use the rice/airing cupboard trick as for a mobile phone ?

Whats the best way to dry a lens ? Can you use the rice/airing cupboard trick as for a mobile phone ?

Let it dry out at room temperature.,I would place it in a box with a couple of Silcia gels, the heat could dry out some of the greases inside the lenses. If water got inside your lens it could also get inside your camera too, they are water resistant not water proof.

Just a few Macro shots that I did of a "Daddy Long Legs". Really just trying out a Tilt/Swing/Rise/Fall type lens panel that I made to take this large format lens and use it on some Adjustable/Focusing Ext Tubes that I also knocked up myself. I'm really quite pleased with the results I'm getting with this contraption.

Fuji X-T1, Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar Lens, Self Made Adjustable Ext Tubes, 200-ISO, 1/180th @ F5.6 (Wide Open), Modified Ring Flash.

Daddy Long Legs (1)-02187 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Daddy Long Legs (2)-02241 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Daddy Long Legs (3)-02232 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.
What can be said but WOW

Yep with 7 legs. It'll be quick..

Thanks Trevor, but there are a full set of legs m8. You can see them in the first shot.(y)

George.

Ok so my efforts to save for a 90/2 have been thwarted by an unforeseen purchase of a 27/2.8 for my X-E2 LOL!

Instead, I have purchased a Lens Turbo II for my X-T1. This will allow me to use my Zeiss portrait lenses (85/1.4, 85/2.8, 100/2.8 and 135/2.8) and my crazy Pentacon 135/2.8 bokeh monster, with all the bokeh they're supposed to have! W00t!

Back