The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

OK so I've bagged a 56mm thanks to Bruce, I now need to figure out:

a) How to fill the void in my bank balance
b) How to find the monet for the inevitable 90mm :eek:

I knew the 90mm was expensive, I didn't realise it was that expensive ! :rolleyes: I may have to move on my favourite rembrandt when the 100-400mm comes out !

Last edited:
If you can afford it, I'd try the x100, any variant. I honestly think it's a camera everyone should try. Not everyone will like it, that's fine, but those of us who do absolutely love it. If it clicks with you then it's just a brilliant little camera. I've recently for the x100t, and it's sufficiently different from my old x100 that I need to learn how to trust it's settings, but despite this learning curve it always puts a smile on my face!

Well I ordered an xe1 but then noticed that Fuji had refurbished x100s in stock so ordered a black one. Xe1 is now going to go up for sale.

Kit will now be xt10 18,35,16-50 and 50-230 along with the x100s.

Andy

I knew the 90mm was expensive, I didn't realise it was that expensive ! :rolleyes: I may have to move on my favourite rembrandt when the 100-400mm comes out !

For portraits there is not much difference between the 56mm and the 90mm. The 90mm was the de-facto standard portrait before the 56mm came out which has a now eclipsed it in output quality.

In respect of macro photography, the 90mm is not a true macro lens and does 'hunt' a bit to focus on some shiny surfaces or metallic substances. A better option is the Ziess Touit 50mm f/2.8 which offers true 1:1 macro capability. It is also an outstanding portrait medium telephoto portrait lens.

In summary, I would suggest that you don't need a 56mm and a 90mm but if macro capability is your requirement then the Ziess Touit 50mm is the best option.

Well I ordered an xe1 but then noticed that Fuji had refurbished x100s in stock so ordered a black one. Xe1 is now going to go up for sale.

Kit will now be xt10 18,35,16-50 and 50-230 along with the x100s.

Andy
Hope it works for you! If not, you won't lose anything in the trade in afterwards :)

I've definitely found that, because there's a little bit of a learning curve, it really helps to take it out as the only camera with you a few times. That helped me both get into the "I've only one focal length" frame of mind and also forced me to actually work out how to do what I wanted to do with the camera instead of grabbing my better known body.

For portraits there is not much difference between the 56mm and the 90mm. The 90mm was the de-facto standard portrait before the 56mm came out which has a now eclipsed it in output quality.

In respect of macro photography, the 90mm is not a true macro lens and does 'hunt' a bit to focus on some shiny surfaces or metallic substances. A better option is the Ziess Touit 50mm f/2.8 which offers true 1:1 macro capability. It is also an outstanding portrait medium telephoto portrait lens.

In summary, I would suggest that you don't need a 56mm and a 90mm but if macro capability is your requirement then the Ziess Touit 50mm is the best option.

I'd be surprised though if anyone would rather see a tight headshot of themselves taken at 50/56 over a shot at 90. The 90 is certainly not a macro lens and not intended as such, the quite close focusing ability is a bonus though.

Think you got your 56s and your 90s mixed up :p

Think you've confused the 90/2 with the 60/2.4 macro :) The 90/2 (135mm equivalent) looks stunning!

Reactions: JYC
Hope it works for you! If not, you won't lose anything in the trade in afterwards :)

I've definitely found that, because there's a little bit of a learning curve, it really helps to take it out as the only camera with you a few times. That helped me both get into the "I've only one focal length" frame of mind and also forced me to actually work out how to do what I wanted to do with the camera instead of grabbing my better known body.

That's what I intend to do as I've always used zooms so using a prime lens makes you think more about what you want to take along with composition etc. Was looking forward to using it tonight and had it delivered to my parents address but my dad didn't get down the stairs on time bloody UK Mail!!!

Not sure if any of you subscribe to the Fuji Magazine, but looking through the issue I had today there seems to be a new XF 120mm F2.8 1:1 Macro arriving next year, 2016. Theres also a new XQ2 and XA2 available.

Linky, scroll through lens and camera section on page 2. > http://en.fujifilmxmagazine.eu/11?utm_campaign=6130356_X Magazine Issue 11 - EN&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Fujifilm UK Ltd&dm_i=1Y2T,3NE7O,G1XRKB,D4FKD,1

The 120mm macro has been on the roadmap for a while now. XQ2 and XA2 were both announced back in January. You sure it's a new issue?

double post, sorry

Last edited:
The 120mm macro has been on the roadmap for a while now. XQ2 and XA2 were both announced back in January. You sure it's a new issue?

Yes Colin, it's issue 11 and I received it today.

I mentioned the magazine in-case anybody was reading and wondering about Macro lenses, due to the little discussion earlier in thread. I haven't taken much notice of the roadmap lately due to selling my XT1 and the constant change of the 100-400mm lens release.

@Mat0tam it's an awesome lens for a little over £200, focussing is easy as well, set t f8 and focus about a meter away and everything will be in focus.

For me it's a bit of a marmite lens, I'm not sure if I like it or not, yes it's wider than the XF14mm, but it's not a nicely built and not as compact. I like shooting wide but it may be just too wide! It is though quite a bit cheaper than the 14mm

Not sure if I'm going to keep mine yet, the juries still out, I'll keep trying it though

@Mr Perceptive I think comparing it to a Fuji lens is a little unfair, in comparison to its price point it delivers in spades! It's also quicker than the 14mm and its build is adequate for what you pay. The image quality is awesome. I love mine, and don't think there's anything out there that's a decent replacement for it.

@Mr Perceptive I think comparing it to a Fuji lens is a little unfair, in comparison to its price point it delivers in spades! It's also quicker than the 14mm and its build is adequate for what you pay. The image quality is awesome. I love mine, and don't think there's anything out there that's a decent replacement for it.

Everything you've said is true!!!! It does deliver, and and it's price point its very good, but given the choice (and budget) I would go for the XF14mm!!!

For me it's a bit of a marmite lens, I'm not sure if I like it or not, yes it's wider than the XF14mm, but it's not a nicely built and not as compact

It's 1mm longer than the 14mm :D I've been really impressed with the 12/2. amazing sharpness from wide open. That's the problem with Fujinon lenses though, they are invariably even better!

You could have the 12mm and the Fuji 18mm for that price ;)

And I could have the 10-24mm for the price of the 12mm and the 14mm !!!!:D

It's 1mm longer than the 14mm :D I've been really impressed with the 12/2. amazing sharpness from wide open. That's the problem with Fujinon lenses though, they are invariably even better!

Its not just the length, but the width!!! An 18-55 plus 14 makes a great setup, as they are compact, take the same hood and same 58mm filters (the Samyang 12mm is a 67mm filter)

Without reading all 219 pages folks, is the X-T10 a good choice for taking on holiday ? It's years since I bought a more compact type camera for holiday/travel use so I'm a bit out of my depth here, I'm a wedding/lifestyle tog so more used to dslrs and the like and simply not up to speed on mirrorless etc.

Also been looking at the X100s & t but open to suggestions :cool:

Without reading all 219 pages folks, is the X-T10 a good choice for taking on holiday ? It's years since I bought a more compact type camera for holiday/travel use so I'm a bit out of my depth here, I'm a wedding/lifestyle tog so more used to dslrs and the like and simply not up to speed on mirrorless etc.

I think id find mine too big to take out with me everyday. But then depends on the nature of the holiday.

I took my XT-10 on a family holiday a few weeks back with the 27mm lens and used it more than I've used my SLR on similar holidays. It was a very light, compact and discrete combination that I took pretty much everywhere.

Can anyone recommend a half case for the XT-10 ?
Gariz. Mine arrived just before my hols, and it transformed the handling. Expensive, but quality. Got mine via Amazon so no danger of extra VAT charges.

OK so I've bagged a 56mm thanks to Bruce, I now need to figure out:

a) How to fill the void in my bank balance
b) How to find the monet for the inevitable 90mm :eek:

Give me the Monet (assuming it's genuine!) and I'll give you the 90mm... ;)

I have an X-T1 as my holiday camera, paired (usually) with an 18-135. MUCH lighter than the other option (D750 + 24-120) and allows me to take a couple of other lenses as hand baggage even with a 5kg limit. :(

I hardly dare ask how much ?!
I bought mine from love cases.co.uk they're currently priced at £80 for the XT-10 version, but voucher code Uni10 takes 10% off the price. I'm not sure what Amazon are charging, but I've found lovecases to be the cheapest in the past. As the OP says, they are expensive but it really does improve the handling of the camera and they are a quality product.

Just checked Amazon, £90, so lovecases are significantly cheaper at £72 with discount code. U.K. Based so no import duty etc

Last edited:
Lightroom does a nice job on pano stitching.

8 images with the XT1 and 18-135, handheld. The location is Three Rock, looking over Dublin bay
20150924112649_dscf5225-pano.jpg

Higher res (approx half res of the full image in both directions)

Anyone tried one of these Meike MK320 TTL speedlites, wondered if they're any good as a poor mans Nissin? :D

Anyone tried one of these Meike MK320 TTL speedlites, wondered if they're any good as a poor mans Nissin? :D

Had one for a few weeks and sold it on here.

It's very handy, small enough to not notice it in the bag, as much power as you would expect from a small flash, bounce capable and comes with a diffuser. One of the handiest things if you are travelling with it is that batteries can be charged inside the flash using a micro usb lead.

So after all that you probably wonder why I sold it?? o_O

I've got lots of Yongnuo's which I use off camera and I also have a nissin I40. I purchased the Meike for a holiday and the only reason I had to keep it on return would have been to use it attached to the camera via an OC3 lead for TTL macro shots, that's when I discovered that for some strange reason it will not work in TTL mode when using the cable. :(

Back