The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've been thinking about picking up a new camera setup for a while now and today I decided to make a trip to Wilkinson Cameras to get some hands on time with a 5DMKIII.

After handling the 5DMKIII I got into an interesting conversation with one of the staff about the X-T1 and ended up having a good play about with one they had in stock. The staff member was really knowledgeable and actually showed me some of his portfolio online which he'd shot with the X-T1.

Personally I can see that Fuji have made a vast improvement in the AF speed, although I still found it sluggish under certain conditions, hunting before locking on. Although this was with the 35mm and the AF points reduced to their smallest size. How much of the sluggishness was a result of the older mechanics of the 35mm versus the camera, I couldn't say.

I must admit the viewfinder was nothing short of amazing, the size, brightness and colour made it very comfortable to use. I was also impressed by the spilt screen manual focus assist.

I'm not sure whether or not it will tempt me away from the 5DMKII setup but it doesn't hurt that I could pickup a body, 14mm, 23mm, 35mm, 56mm and battery grip for less than the 5D and a 24-70.

A very versatile setup John, the X-T1 is impressive but more importantly the quality of these lenses are outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

I've been thinking about picking up a new camera setup for a while now and today I decided to make a trip to Wilkinson Cameras to get some hands on time with a 5DMKIII.

After handling the 5DMKIII I got into an interesting conversation with one of the staff about the X-T1 and ended up having a good play about with one they had in stock. The staff member was really knowledgeable and actually showed me some of his portfolio online which he'd shot with the X-T1.

Personally I can see that Fuji have made a vast improvement in the AF speed, although I still found it sluggish under certain conditions, hunting before locking on. Although this was with the 35mm and the AF points reduced to their smallest size. How much of the sluggishness was a result of the older mechanics of the 35mm versus the camera, I couldn't say.

I must admit the viewfinder was nothing short of amazing, the size, brightness and colour made it very comfortable to use. I was also impressed by the spilt screen manual focus assist.

I'm not sure whether or not it will tempt me away from the 5DMKII setup but it doesn't hurt that I could pickup a body, 14mm, 23mm, 35mm, 56mm and battery grip for less than the 5D and a 24-70.

Thanks for sharing :)

I got my XT-1 while still owning my D800. The plan was to replace the D800 with a D610/D700/D600 and run two camera systems at the same time (did that before for a couple of years running Nikon and Sony) but the more I used the XT1 the more I was enjoying my photography again and based on that it was an easy decision to sell all my Nikon gear and stick with Fuji. I have the 14, 23, 35 and the 55-200 should be back soon and all these lenses are quality glass

Battery life.

I wasn't too worried about the relatively short possible battery life in the X-T1 - I have a total of 4 to share between it and the X-Pro1 and I thought that should be enough to get me through a day. Well, yesterday I got a bit of a shock - I shot well over 500 shots on the X-T1 and still have a battery meter that registers full! Not much chimping but some in-the-field deletion and almost exclusively EVF rather than rear screen composition and using OIS all the time. Not too shabby!

Visited my local shop this morning and saw another pro picking up a small X-T1 kit (body + 18-55-200 zooms) to run alongside a DSLR kit. Another chap I was chatting to has just come back from a high end (should probably be HIGH END! - Bugatti Veyrons...) shoot in the South of France where they were shooting Fuji.

Battery life.

I wasn't too worried about the relatively short possible battery life in the X-T1 - I have a total of 4 to share between it and the X-Pro1 and I thought that should be enough to get me through a day. Well, yesterday I got a bit of a shock - I shot well over 500 shots on the X-T1 and still have a battery meter that registers full! Not much chimping but some in-the-field deletion and almost exclusively EVF rather than rear screen composition and using OIS all the time. Not too shabby!

Visited my local shop this morning and saw another pro picking up a small X-T1 kit (body + 18-55-200 zooms) to run alongside a DSLR kit. Another chap I was chatting to has just come back from a high end (should probably be HIGH END! - Bugatti Veyrons...) shoot in the South of France where they were shooting Fuji.

Great to hear. As a new Fuji shooter I really want them to sell well

As expected, it's not as competent as the D700 at motorsport but I still managed enough keepers to keep me happy! Much nicer to carry around for a day too. Just need to wait for the 10-24 to come in.

Good to hear. I said from day one that the battery life is good on the X-T1 I do a lot of long exposures at f22 with a 10 ND filter (big stopper). Combine the battery grip you can shoot all day and night. This camera is definitely making a big impact in the photographic community and many people are dropping their FF gear in favour. Yep let's face it perhaps for the Paps, Sports shooters it's not ghe perfect tool but for the rest of us it ticks a few boxes.

IF I were a pap, I would be using a 1 series Nikon body with the FT-1 adaptor and long lenses - the 2.7 x crop factor doesn't half have some pulling power!

The 500+ shots I took yesterday were all at 1/125th. Unusually for me, I was in S mode since I was panning.

I went to have another look at one of the fullframe offerings today and ended up playing with the X-T1 some more. I could only test it with the 35mm again which was a bit of a shame, I'd like to see whether or not the new series of lenses makes much of a difference to AF speed.

You really can't help but be impressed with the viewfinder, it's such a massive leap from the previous X-Series generation. The focus split feature is a really good idea but I found the focus ring of the 35mm a little stiff to make it useful for anything fast paced, this is maybe something that I'd get quicker at with practise.

One small feature I wasn't aware of until today was the focus check feature. If you hit the AF assist button when reviewing an image it zooms in 100% on the AF point. Simple, but extremely useful if like me you tend to shoot wide open.

A second time with the camera has again made me put of a decision on which fullframe model to pickup. Watch this space I guess.

Last edited:
Is anybody using the XT1 with manual / legacy lenses.???

I have just sold my XP1 as I dont have enough reach and I was thinking of getting a Olympus OMD-EM5 for the reach. My head is telling me to stay with Fuji as I loved the XP1 but I just found it hard to manual focus with 300mm manual lenses. I also found the EVF give me some arc eye type of effect when using my 55-200mm, my eye would take about 1/2 hour to come back to normal after using the EVF continually. Is the better EVF more user friendly on the XT1 compared to the XP.

Anyone have any experience?

Also, I have seen the XT1 on the bay for £759.00 from HK, has anybody bought from theses type of sellers, if so, have you been charged by Customs?

The X-T1 does have a faster refresh rate than the X-Pro1 and can be used for motorsport/panning (if you can get close enough for 200mm to be long enough!) I had a higher keeper rate with my D700 but I've used that a lot more and know how to get the best from it while I'm still learning the X-T1's strengths and weaknesses.

Not tried any of the adaptors with older lenses (or newer) - if I need more reach, I grab the V1 Nikon with the 70-300 VR and FT-1.

The X-T1 does have a faster refresh rate than the X-Pro1 and can be used for motorsport/panning (if you can get close enough for 200mm to be long enough!) I had a higher keeper rate with my D700 but I've used that a lot more and know how to get the best from it while I'm still learning the X-T1's strengths and weaknesses.

Not tried any of the adaptors with older lenses (or newer) - if I need more reach, I grab the V1 Nikon with the 70-300 VR and FT-1.

Thanks for the reply.

Due to disabilities the V1 is too small for me, Ive had two of them in the past, plus I would prefer to keep to one system. As we back onto woodlands and I am home everday I would like to capture some of small birds that frequent our garden. I have been struggling with the XP1 using manual lenses to capture them in focus, my hit rate is about 10-15%. I was hoping perhaps the XT1 may be easier with it being a newer system and a better EVF.

PS, I have had a email from Nikon today advising there is a new Firmware update for the V1, link below just incase you haven't seen it.
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60085

I'm seriously considering chopping in my D700 for one of these, I mainly do landscape, travel and a bit of portrait. The main reason is weight saving but I wouldn't want to compromise on image quality, especially high ISO, can anyone comment on whether technology has caught up with the older Nikon FF (and of course Fuji's lenses). I guess the Sony A7 is an option too but for some reason I'm not so taken with it - I think it's the lens choices.

I did buy a V1 for a smaller camera and it is almost perfect it's just sometimes I miss the shallow DoF of the larger sensors, even with the 18.5 f/1.8...

Last edited:
Don't you just love the wifi app, you can control aperture, shutter speed and ISO remotely and see what the camera sees on the iphone screen. Don't even have to touch the camera. Genius.

Don't forget when trying lenses out in shops bear in mind that it may not have the latest firmware loaded for the lens.

Also by making the focus points larger AF will lock on quicker on the X-T1

Don't you just love the wifi app, you can control aperture, shutter speed and ISO remotely and see what the camera sees on the iphone screen. Don't even have to touch the camera. Genius.

It is a great feature. I used it for a group shot using my Nexus with great results

Thanks for the reply.

Due to disabilities the V1 is too small for me, Ive had two of them in the past, plus I would prefer to keep to one system. As we back onto woodlands and I am home everday I would like to capture some of small birds that frequent our garden. I have been struggling with the XP1 using manual lenses to capture them in focus, my hit rate is about 10-15%. I was hoping perhaps the XT1 may be easier with it being a newer system and a better EVF.

PS, I have had a email from Nikon today advising there is a new Firmware update for the V1, link below just incase you haven't seen it.
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60085

The X-T1's AF is streets ahead of the X-Pro1's. I'm a firm believer in AF over MF especially since using native lenses avoids the use of adaptors. As I understand it from those who do use MF, the split screen focus assistance on the X-T1 works very well. See also the last quote in this post...

I'm seriously considering chopping in my D700 for one of these, I mainly do landscape, travel and a bit of portrait. The main reason is weight saving but I wouldn't want to compromise on image quality, especially high ISO, can anyone comment on whether technology has caught up with the older Nikon FF (and of course Fuji's lenses). I guess the Sony A7 is an option too but for some reason I'm not so taken with it - I think it's the lens choices.

I did buy a V1 for a smaller camera and it is almost perfect it's just sometimes I miss the shallow DoF of the larger sensors, even with the 18.5 f/1.8...

Not sure there's much difference in IQ between the Xs and the D700, especially the lenses! The weight and bulk reduction was my reasoning behind getting the X system, although as yet I have no plans on abandoning the D700. I think you would probably miss the DoF effects possible with fast primes on the FF sensor, although the fast prime in the XF range might do the job for you. I use my V1 almost exclusively with a pair of zooms, the 18-200 for general use and the 70-300 when I need more reach.

Yup! I use it with an 8" tablet. For those who don't know, it allows many aspects of camera control (as above) and also lets you choose the AF sensor point using the touchscreen on the controlling device. It also allows you to import shots wirelessly - a real boon (I should think) for i? users who don't have the sockets needed to plug things in. Only had a brief play with the feature so far - tablet started buzzing with important e-mails and I got distracted!

Thanks Mr Nod.

Hmm, I'll give it some reflection and see if the GAS wears off. On the whole I can cope with the weight of the D700 BUUUT I don't suppose I'd miss it.

I guess this is partly driven by wondering what to take on this years holiday - driving down to Italy in a sports car so any space saved is a bonus and if it means I can buy new kit then all the better. On the other hand I lugged the D700 up Kilimanjaro last year without any bother and I am more than happy with the IQ and know how to use it like the back of my hand...

Also, importantly, SWMBO says "we're a Nikon household" :LOL:

Did anyone make a small step from the X-Pro1 to the X-T1?

I've just been into the shop and I have to say, I was left a little underwhelmed when compared to the X-Pro1. For me it just felt very small and plastic-like. I've saved for ages to buy it not I'm not even sure there's much point in getting it over the X-Pro 1..............Now I'm really confused...... :confused:

Did anyone make a small step from the X-Pro1 to the X-T1?

I've just been into the shop and I have to say, I was left a little underwhelmed when compared to the X-Pro1. For me it just felt very small and plastic-like. I've saved for ages to buy it not I'm not even sure there's much point in getting it over the X-Pro 1..............Now I'm really confused...... :confused:
I did and I've noticed a significant improvement which I described earlier in this thread. Briefly, it comes down to responsiveness. The X-Pro 1 is a wonderful camera, but it's not the quickest. This might not be a problem for some people or situations, but it the difference is marked for me.

Yes, it feels smaller, but that's because it is! Add a grip and that problem is resolved.

I did and I've noticed a significant improvement which I described earlier in this thread. Briefly, it comes down to responsiveness. The X-Pro 1 is a wonderful camera, but it's not the quickest. This might not be a problem for some people or situations, but it the difference is marked for me.

Yes, it feels smaller, but that's because it is! Add a grip and that problem is resolved.

Did you find the button placement awkward at all? I've just had a go in the shop and found having to push the buttons down a right PITA!

Did you find the button placement awkward at all? I've just had a go in the shop and found having to push the buttons down a right PITA!
Awkward? Not really. Different, yes, but you get more buttons to customise so you can tailor it to your own needs. I found the thumb 'hump' got it the way of the AF-L to begin with, but it's fine once I got used to it. The directional buttons aren't as easy to press, but still useable again just take a bit of getting used to.

I've also got both bodies. Started with the X-Pro1 when the free lens offer was on then went for the X-T1 for the extra speed of AF, more SLR like handling, on body controls of many parameters and the possibility of remote control using a smartphone/tablet.

Changing ISO isn't something I do between each shot so having to press the button to make that change isn't a bother for me. Similarly, I usually shoot in P mode but do use the others when I need to - a single button press of the shutter speed dial to move out of its Auto position leaves the dial free until it clicks back in the A setting.

Another aspect of the X-T that I prefer over the X-Pro is the refresh rate in the EVF - much faster.

Which do I prefer? Hard to say, I love them both! For landscapes and the like, probably the X-Pro but throw in some action and the X-T would be the tool of choice. IMO, the X-T is the more versatile purely because it's faster in action - you can "drive" it slowly if you want to but you can't really "drive" the X-Pro fast.

HTH.

My problems with the x-pro1 are the EVF and speed. The X-T1 solved these issues for me. Now I can't wait for the X-Pro2 :D.

My problems with the x-pro1 are the EVF and speed. The X-T1 solved these issues for me. Now I can't wait for the X-Pro2 :D.

Could you expand on the EVF comment.

As mentioned a few threads earlier I have sold my XP1 as I found the EVF uncomfortable after continous use. Plus the use of manual focusing using legacy lenses.

I never took much notice of having push the buttons loads on my X-T1, I can only assume the difference is due too them being weather sealed :-/

Hi, I moved from a D300 D700 to fuji.

First sold D300 and got XE-1 + 18-55mm, and also used Takumar M42 lenses. Upgraded to XE-2 when it came out.

When the XT-1 came out I sold the D700 and rest of my nikon gear and got

XT-1
55-200mm
85mm 1.2
23mm 1.4
14mm 2.8

Is the focus as fast as D700 for action? No

Can i get fast action shots with XT-1? yes

Overall very happy with my new system ?

You can see some test shots on my Google+ Page

I sold my all my Nikon kit I was planning on getting an X-Pro-1, 35mm and 23mm, I already have the 23mm on order as it's my most used focal length. I was about to go buy a used X-Pro-1 and 35mm but they're both now out of stock and after having a browse at DR I've beenhovering over the buy button on an X-T1, then wait and get the new WR 35mm, if it's released, later in the year.

One of the main advantages of the X-T1 over the X-Pro-1 for me is the use of Cannon remote commands via the mic port, this allows me to continue using my Timelapse+ devices :D

What's peoples view on the EVF and how much better is the X-T1 at low light stuff shooting over the X-Pro-1 and does anyone find it much bulkier?

Also I don't mind ordering lenses from DR, but what's peoples thoughts on ordering a body and where would I stand if it's a model with the light leakage.

55-200 landed on my doorstep yesterday, feels nicely balanced on the xt1, was expecting it to be more lens heavy. The AF is lightning quick compared to 55-300 on my old nikon.

Had a message pop up on the screen as soon as I connected it saying there's a firmware update for the lens, anyone know what this might be?

Last edited:
Also I don't mind ordering lenses from DR, but what's peoples thoughts on ordering a body and where would I stand if it's a model with the light leakage.

If you buy grey import and have a problem with the item then you have to deal with the seller.

55-200 landed on my doorstep yesterday, feels nicely balanced on the xt1, was expecting it to be more lens heavy. As a comparison the AF is lightning quick compared to 55-300 on my old nikon.

Had a message pop up on the screen as soon as I connected it saying there's a firmware update for the lens, anyone know what this might be?

Fuji has firmware updates for their lenses to help improve their focus speed and accuracy with new camera models. I had the same things with my 55-200mm, installed the firmware and updated the lens

If you buy grey import and have a problem with the item then you have to deal with the seller.

I found the 10% paypal discount on the fuji refurb site, worked out cheaper then DR and has a full direct warranty :)

Can't wait for the 23mm and x-t1 to arrive..........not excited....honest!.....

Anyone got any suggestions on a 62mm filter, looking at a B+W MRC atm?

55-200 landed on my doorstep yesterday, feels nicely balanced on the xt1, was expecting it to be more lens heavy. The AF is lightning quick compared to 55-300 on my old nikon.

Lens firmware update - go on the fuji website and download the file for your lens to your pc, copy to a formatted sd card, sd card into camera and follow instructions.
All instructions on the download page and simple to do.
hth.

Lens firmware update - go on the fuji website and download the file for your lens to your pc, copy to a formatted sd card, sd card into camera and follow instructions.
All instructions on the download page and simple to do.
hth.

I don't have an sd card read/write slot on my mac, is there any way the new firmware can be copied straight to the camera when it's connected with the USB?

I don't have an sd card read/write slot on my mac, is there any way the new firmware can be copied straight to the camera when it's connected with the USB?

I would imagine you could do this but I have not done so. I'm not in a position to check right now for you buy my advice would be to follow the Fuji guidelines and stick with it. All the Fuji lenses have firmware updates from time to time. It really is a very simple operation. If you goggle Fuji lens firmware update that will take you to the relevant link. There is also a helpful video that takes you through the process.

If your Mac doesn't have an SD slot, all is not lost. You can buy a SD card reader that plugs into your Mac via a USB port very cheaply online or at your local camera shop. The advantage of owning one of these is that that your computer will power the update as opposed to drawing power from your camera. In fact when you update your lens firmware your camera will prompt you use a fully charged battery in the first instance. You will also find it a lot quicker to upload images to your computer.

Hi Karl, I'm pretty certain that you cannot update your camera or lens this way. I think you'll find that it has to be done in the way David said. It really is very easy and as Nick said a USB card reader is a very good investment.

Hope this helps.

Hi Karl, I'm pretty certain that you cannot update your camera or lens this way. I think you'll find that it has to be done in the way David said. It really is very easy and as Nick said a USB card reader is a very good investment.

Hope this helps.

Definitely need the firmware update on a card, but an sd card reader can be had for less than a tenner.

Back