The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Believe it or not I had a go of Zack Arias' 16-55 earlier this week. It's a solid lens, but similar to the 55-140 it's a hefty piece of glass for a small camera like the XT1. It was attached without any of the extra grips, but I think with the Fuji battery grip it would balance out nicely. Seemed sharp and well made.

Thanks. I m not bothered about the size to be honest ☺ I have both grips so it should balance well in this case. As long as it is sharp wide open I m more than happy

Very nice,i really like this.:)

Hey fellow X-Shooters...

So today I got hold of an X-T1 in a camera shop. It was a bad thing.

I currently have an X-E1. I really love it. After a dalliance with the Sony Alpha 7 and almost dropping the Nikon Df with shock at how DSLR it was, it was like coming home to pick up the X-T1...

All I have to do now is justify it. I've got the nod from Mrs T, so bearing in mind I'll sell the X-E1 and kit zoom for a piffling amount without extras, I need to realise that if I go UK new (£900 with £100 cashback) I'm paying £400-500 for...

Wi-fi
Better AF (The Internet says it's better... Is it? Also, that mini screen as an MF aid for third party lenses looks good but is it..?)
CMOS II sensor (not much difference from the X-E1s CMOS I as far as I can tell)
Flip out screen
Less nose damage. (I'm left eye dominant so I look less cool, using the rangefinder style and sustain small amounts of nose damage due to specs and camera-over-face.)
More control wheels but sticker buttons (If you believe The Internet)
Weather sealing
Ergonomics that I prefer

I have all the lenses I want for the forseeable future (14, 23, 27, 35, & 56) so apart from a rumoured refreshed 35mm and maybe that 18-135 superzoom I won't be spending much more than a spare battery and a case. I'm probably asking in the wrong place to get advice not to buy it. It's an X-T1 or a long wait for a rumoured X-Pro 2.

Any useful thoughts?

Hi Ian,

It's just brilliant, get it.:D

The af is not as quick as a dslr but it is no slouch.
The focus peeker works really well.
The screen is very useful and works well.
Lots of easy to change control wheels and the buttons seem I'm to me, not spongy at all.
I'm left eyed as well and I have had no noticeable nose damage so far:D

I would definitely get a second battery as the only down side I have come across is the battery life can be a bit short.

Top camera in my opinion and I take it out every time we go walking, unless I'm shooting film of course.

Andy

Getting the nod from the missus would be all the justification you need, surely?

:D

You know, despite all the sensible stuff @Andysnap posted, this is really the simplest and most straightforward answer.

You know, despite all the sensible stuff @Andysnap posted, this is really the simplest and most straightforward answer.
Correct, if the finance manager agreed then it's a no-brainer, just do it.:D

I'm hoping to get the details through from Tina at Panamoz to purchase one via BT. Won't be ordering a lens with it but i do have the 60mm f2.4 coming along with the Samyang 8mm f2.8 which I'm looking forward to using. Does anyone use the 60 for portraiture? Also have a couple of m42 lenses that i shall be using so need to order an adapter for them too. Does anyone use the X-T1 with the battery grip? Does it ruin the whole idea of going for a smaller size camera or is it a useful addition?

And is CC film sim supported in Lr if shooting RAW?

Thanks.

Don't laugh... John Lewis are doing the Graphite one for £965 which is the cheapest I can find in the UK. I suspect their website might be wrong, but the receipt says silver/black as opposed to the black one so hey ho. Get an extra year warranty with it too which is nice. Only £80 cashback...

What do you mean by supported?

Film simulations are generally only applied to Jpegs unless something's changed... If you shoot raw+Jpeg, the raw file will be unmodified and the jpeg will come in to LR already converted. Unless I'm missing something...

I believe the Classic Chrome profile is available in LR for raw files shot with the X-T1, perhaps someone can confirm for definite.

For some reason it doesn't show for files shot with the X-E2.

Does anyone use the X-T1 with the battery grip? Does it ruin the whole idea of going for a smaller size camera or is it a useful addition?

I use the Battery Grip with my X-T1 David and personally much prefer the camera with the grip. I feel the camera is much better balanced especially when the 55-200mm is on board. The other obvious plus point is double the amount of shots without changing batteries.(y)

The camera with grip feels very much like my old Nikon FE2 (film unit) did with the motordrive on board which I used to really love using.

Only my opinion of course but it sure does work for me.

George.

Thanks George. Good to know. I swapped once before to an em10 but the tiny size kind or ruined the experience for me if I'm honest so it's good to have the option available if i feel the need to add one. It will be predominantly used for portraiture so it should be a nice addition i guess?

What do you mean by supported?

Film simulations are generally only applied to Jpegs unless something's changed... If you shoot raw+Jpeg, the raw file will be unmodified and the jpeg will come in to LR already converted. Unless I'm missing something...

I mean is the profile listed in the drop down menu in Lr along with Astia, Provia etc etc

I mean is the profile listed in the drop down menu in Lr along with Astia, Provia etc etc

yes, it just worked for me.

I was thinking about replying to your ad and offering my X-T1 with the MHG-XT grip (the little one, not the full battery grip). But then I picked it up and took a few snaps of my daughter and decided not to sell. It really is a nice piece of kit.

I'm hoping to get the details through from Tina at Panamoz to purchase one via BT. Won't be ordering a lens with it but i do have the 60mm f2.4 coming along with the Samyang 8mm f2.8 which I'm looking forward to using. Does anyone use the 60 for portraiture? Also have a couple of m42 lenses that i shall be using so need to order an adapter for them too. Does anyone use the X-T1 with the battery grip? Does it ruin the whole idea of going for a smaller size camera or is it a useful addition?

Thanks.

I found the 60mm excellent for portraits, if I remember correctly I think the 60mm was the sharpest of the original lenses corner to corner. The newer 56mm maybe better but in my eyes not significant. Some will say the lens is slow, but in my use it was fast enough for portraits. Also, I found the 55-200mm okay with the extra benefit of OS.

I think the 60mm has had a performance boost from a firmware upgrade since I sold mine - at the time it was poorest for AF in the line-up and needed some firmware help. If you're not shooting it wide-open and you are planning on shooting in low light, the XF 55-200mm is a surprisingly capable alternative. The OS more than makes up for the slower aperture.

(and if you don't need AF, get the Rokkor 58/1.4 instead ;))

Nothing wrong with the 60mm as a portrait lens. I sold mine to get a 56mm and while I like the extra speed of f1.2, my favourite Fuji portraits are still with the 60mm. Damien Lovegrove has turned out some belters with the 60 (and with every other Fuji lens, to be fair). He has a collection of pics with this lens: http://www.lovegrovephotography.com/fujifilm-xf-60mm-pictures/

One of my daughter, X-T1 with 56mm, wide open, low natural light, quick PP in Lr and Analogue Pro 2
16202600774_d555342f90_b.jpg

Last edited:
I downloaded a trial of LR CC and couldn't find the Fuji profiles, unless I'm blind!

Where abouts are they?

Also, Adobe are doing 15% off for Fuji users so monthly its £7odd at the moment.

I downloaded a trial of LR CC and couldn't find the Fuji profiles, unless I'm blind!

Where abouts are they?
Make sure you're looking under Profile in the Camera Calibration box in the Develop module, and you must have a relevant file active or you won't see it - i.e. it must be an X-T1 raf and not a X-E2 raf or a jpg.

Good stuff, the 8mm Samyang is a really good little lens, enjoyed using mine quite a lot before I swapped over to Canon.

Yeah i archived it.

703 quid all in. :)

Also ordered a second battery, Larmor screen protector and a m42-fx adapter. Also got the Fuji 60mm f2.4 and Samyang 8mm f2.8 fisheye on the way.

Like a kid at Christmas...

:D

Congrats... Here's something to whet your whistle... I quite like Mondays... It has the same battery as the X-E1 so no waiting to charge!

My Kind of Monday
by Harlequin565, on Flickr

Looks smart. Is the Pancolar lens good? Get some pics up. I have the Pentacon 50mm and it was never really much kop on my m4/3. The CZJ 35mm f2.4 was fricken awesome though as was the CZJ 13tmm f3.5! Looking forward to getting it, should hopefully be here for the weekend... I think? Panamoz said 4-6 days. Hopefully it will be the shorter end. :LOL:

Back