The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm with you on those points Sir.(y)

I've never had problems with the auto focus etc on my 35mm 1.4. Sure it's a tad slower focusing than the F2 and yes it can be heard a little, but hardly what I would call noisy. It may be that I have a very good copy of the lens as I found that stop for stop my F1.4 version (from F2 onwards) looked sharper at all apertures compared to the F2 version that I tried on loan. Having said that it's quite possible that the F2 version that I tried was not quite up to par.

George.

I think I'm ok with the noise too because I've used much worse in the past. I remember having a Nikon 50mm 1.8 that you'd hear other end of a busy street :D it was much slower to focus than the Fuji too. Similar with a Sony 50mm I had for my first dslr, the A200. Usually I will take quality over speed though, it's just how I shoot that I don't need lightening fast AF. I'll never be a sports 'tog for example.

Wow, that makes me wonder if the F2 you had might have been a bit of a dud copy? I expected them to be about on par at 2.8 on

I think a lot of people highly exaggerate about how noisy and slow the 1.4 is. Since the latest updates, even on the XT-1, it' zippy enough for my needs. Outdoors you'll never hear the AF noise, in fact it should only bother you if you were photographing in complete silent locations, maybe a museum or so. As for the AF hunting, only very occasionally in very dim lighting it'll skip on me. I would bet the F2 is much zippier, but do I need much faster AF? not so much. Do I need a silent lens? nope. I do love that the one I got is sharp wide open and I love the contrast, clarity and feel it gives to photos.
Both copies I owned were the same.

Just got back from a week in Eigg, plus two days to get there and another two to get back. This was from my very first night, with the ever reliable 18-55mm. It took a lot of time and energy to get there, but it was an excellent decision :)

And the weather was fantastic, albeit I could have used a few more clouds at times. Still, for Scotland in early May to have a dry week is something like a miracle!

Battle lines
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Lovely shot, you dropped on some gorgeous weather. I've been looking on the webcams over the past few weeks with envy!!

Haven't shot the XT1 in a few weeks due to working shift work and life stuff getting in the way, so today I had a brilliant eighty mile bike ride on my Suzuki in/around Crieff (Central Scotland), sublime weather.

Suzuki V-Strom;

Suzuki V-Strom by APM Photography, on Flickr

XF18-55 f/2.8

Haven't shot the XT1 in a few weeks due to working shift work and life stuff getting in the way, so today I had a brilliant eighty mile bike ride on my Suzuki in/around Crieff (Central Scotland), sublime weather.

Suzuki V-Strom;

Suzuki V-Strom by APM Photography, on Flickr

XF18-55 f/2.8
We've certainly had good weather for it! I'm up in Crieff with the family next week, though it looks like we won't get quite the weather we've had lately :(

Lovely shot, you dropped on some gorgeous weather. I've been looking on the webcams over the past few weeks with envy!!
Thanks! And yeah, it was unreal. Would have packed differently if I'd known, but can't complain!

I've bit the bullet and ordered a X-T2 from Panamoz last night, really looking forward to it arriving next week, I bought the dedicated vertical power boost grip a few months ago.

:)
I too capitulated last night, regretting selling my first X-T2, and ordered the last remaining from the refurb site. The T20 is up for sale, hint hint!

I too capitulated last night, regretting selling my first X-T2, and ordered the last remaining from the refurb site. The T20 is up for sale, hint hint!

That's a shame Stephen I think you have made the right choice though. I must admit that after going back to the XT2 and although the T20 is a great camera I do prefer the T2 due to the size and ergonomics.

Haven't dipped into this thread for about a month, it doesn't half get some posts I'm not going to read them all! :)

Haven't taken a decent shot in ages! (Some might say ever)

Last edited:
After seeing the 90mm image quality. Is definitely the lens on my wish list now. I thought I'm done buying lens for now. I can't believe I'm starting to add more to my Fuji system after selling all my Nikon. For some strange reason I have no interest on Fuji zoom lens except the 55-200 which I already have. Only bought it for certain things when reach is needed. It is a top quality lens anyway :)

So far here is my Fuji setup:

Fuji XT1
Fuji XE2s
Fuji 18mm f2
Fuji 35mm f2
Fuji 56mm f1.2
Fuji 55-200 OIS

I think I need the Metz m400 flash and the 90mm f2 :)

Money I don't got ;) Trust me, if I did I'd snap it up. I'm surprised you don't have interest already

If 'twas a black one I'd be there. Still considering it, but not having handled an XT20 (or 10) I'm unsure.

If 'twas a black one I'd be there. Still considering it, but not having handled an XT20 (or 10) I'm unsure.

For that price I could live with the silver, still looks cool. With the grip it should be a little more secure in hand, but I do prefer something a little chunkier in hand also. The battery grip is rarely off my XT-1, and I know this brings it a lot closer in weight and size to an average dslr but it is still a lot lighter and tidier than my old chunky D800

I've bit the bullet and ordered a X-T2 from Panamoz last night, really looking forward to it arriving next week, I bought the dedicated vertical power boost grip a few months ago.

:)

That's good to hear Sir, a result in my book. "You'll not regret it".(y)

George

Great stuff Sir, looking forward to seeing some of your work shot on the new unit.(y)

George.

The Fuji XT-2 with Vertical Booster is a proper beast :D

It's an "Awesome" bit of kit Sir.(y)

"I've never regretted outing all of our company FF DSLRs and changing 100% to the Fooj units for all of our F1 & other Motor Sport work. All of our staff 'togs absolutely love the X-T2 with Battery Grip units"

George.

It's an "Awesome" bit of kit Sir.(y)

"I've never regretted outing all of our company FF DSLRs and changing 100% to the Fooj units for all of our F1 & other Motor Sport work. All of our staff 'togs absolutely love the X-T2 with Battery Grip units"

George.
Roll on the Fuji Pro XT body :D

The Fuji XT-2 with Vertical Booster is a proper beast :D
I had the booster grip with my first T2 but couldn't get on with it. As I don't need the speed boost or extra battery life it was a bit of weight and bulk too much for me. Each to their own - it's good to have choices.

Roll on the Fuji Pro XT body :D

That's something that we'll consider Sir.(y)

"But with the "Excellent" performance that we get from the X-T2 and Battery Grip units it would have to be something really special to get me to change our kit. I'd certainly have to get at least two years work out of these units before I would consider it to be a financially viable proposition. With twenty one company units plus another two of my own personal units it would be a fairly largish financial investment to change. So it would obviously have to be a really worth while move"

George.

Back