The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It is a great camera and it's making a big impact in the photographic world and its establishing a massive following. Great image by the way. I'm only looking at this on an iPhone but the tones look good.

I went to buy a back up X-T1 today from the Fuji refurb shop - sold out !

MPB have a mint one for sale, although a little more expensive to the Fuji refurbs using the PayPal code, I was considering pulling the trigger on one. I have decided to wait until next week to see if there are any deals starting from June 1st, as I fancy having the 18-55 lens.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us.../used-fuji-x-series-cameras/fuji-x-t1-body--1

Simon, I'm in a similar boat, although my local dealer does sell a fair bit of Fuji kit. Fuji are a little cagey about new kit release dates and prices, dealers apparently sometimes don't find out until the backordered kit arrives with an invoice! I'm not sure if the chap I usually chat to about Fuji kit is working the rest of this week - he's got kids and has been away working (using the Fuji kit) a fair bit recently so has taken a few days off over 1/2 term. He might have left a message with one of the other gentlemen in the shop - if not, I'll find out more next week. If there's any news I'm allowed to share, I'll share it!

Simon, I'm in a similar boat, although my local dealer does sell a fair bit of Fuji kit. Fuji are a little cagey about new kit release dates and prices, dealers apparently sometimes don't find out until the backordered kit arrives with an invoice! I'm not sure if the chap I usually chat to about Fuji kit is working the rest of this week - he's got kids and has been away working (using the Fuji kit) a fair bit recently so has taken a few days off over 1/2 term. He might have left a message with one of the other gentlemen in the shop - if not, I'll find out more next week. If there's any news I'm allowed to share, I'll share it!

Ok thanks.

While I was at Park Cameras last weekend, I was reading a review of the XT-1 in their own newspaper and at the end of the review it read, next month issue: review of the 18-135mm lens. Surely this means the lens is very near :)

Middle of next month. Possibly! ~£950...

I definitely wouldn't be interested at anything near a £950 price :eek: I think that's saved me some money then :D

I'm going to have to think about it quite seriously. I love the 18-55 but rarely use it wide open so won't really miss the extra stop it has over the 18-135. Depends a bit on the physical size of the thing - if it'll fit in the bag alongside the X-Pro1 and 10-24, it'll be a big + but we'll see. It almost certainly won't be available here before we go away on holiday so hopefully I'll be able to have a play and test fitting when we get back.

I'm very interested, but really I think I'll watch and wait and read a few reviews. No doubt it will be another jewel in Fuji's crown but I'm not sure I can justify it. Still lots of rumours of an X30 and X-Pro2 being launched at Photokina this year so I'm going to keep my powder dry for a bit.

Well it happened today. Digital Depot rang to say they had stock of the XT1 arrive this morning and did I still want one? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back? Drove straight over and picked it up but then had to drive up to the midlands so it stayed in the box until now. Have just had it out for a brief hold and play and wow is it gorgeous! Can't wait for the morning - will be heading out first thing I hope.

Really looking forward to getting to grips with this mini marvel.

Spooks

Well it happened today. Digital Depot rang to say they had stock of the XT1 arrive this morning and did I still want one? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back? Drove straight over and picked it up but then had to drive up to the midlands so it stayed in the box until now. Have just had it out for a brief hold and play and wow is it gorgeous! Can't wait for the morning - will be heading out first thing I hope.

Really looking forward to getting to grips with this mini marvel.

Spooks

Congratulations. I'll be interested in your views and opinions.

I went to Currys in Bluewater to try one of these out, and they didn't have ANY x mount lenses to fit it!

Disappointed was an understatement!

I went to Currys in Bluewater to try one of these out, and they didn't have ANY x mount lenses to fit it!

That's like going to test drive a car and them saying "Sorry we don't have any wheels".....

D'oh..!!

At the moment I have 14, 23, 35 and 55-22mm.

I am waiting for the 56mm and the not yet released F2.8 zooms, at that point I will sell my 55-200. Thats the plan :)

Last edited:
At the moment I have 14, 23, 35 and 55-22mm.

I am waiting for the 56mm and the not yet released F2.8 zooms, at that point I will sell my 55-200. Thats the plan :)

I've got the 24 and 35, but the 35's not getting much use at the minute. Also waiting for the 2.8's

I've got the 24 and 35, but the 35's not getting much use at the minute. Also waiting for the 2.8's

What do you mainly shoot, I'm getting the 56mm for more portrait stuff, I have the 23mm for street/general.

I'm hoping the 16-55mm is similar to my old Canon 17-55mm as that was a fantastic general purpose lens that rarely left the camera. My interest in it currently hinges on the cost of the first WR lens and how badly my wallet is bruised following the 16mm :nailbiting: .

I'm hoping the 16-55mm is similar to my old Canon 17-55mm as that was a fantastic general purpose lens that rarely left the camera. My interest in it currently hinges on the cost of the first WR lens and how badly my wallet is bruised following the 16mm :nailbiting: .

That is exactly the big question. How much?

Like any other company Fuji can charge whatever they want, I m just hopping that it won't be crazy money and not similar to the FF WR equivalent

The 56mm is nice by I opted for a Zeiss Touit 50mm which is a great portrait lens but also has 1:1 macro capability. it's a very versatile lens and possibly my favourite after my 23mm.

So today I took e XT1 into the studio and immediately hit a problem; the EVF shows the shots the camera will expose which means trying to focus in a dark studio, where I am using flash lamps, is nigh on impossible. I got by but surely there must be a way of overcoming this?

Will be consulting the manual tomorrow but in the interim, any thoughts?

Spooks

Switch off the exposure preview option in the menu.

Have to say I am loving my XT1 and gradually getting to grips with where the buttons fall. Also starting to customise a few settings, assigning specific functions to the more accessible buttons. I still marvel at its weight and the quality of images straight out of camera. The studio pics I took at the weekend are fabulous and easily stand up against those from the D700.

Got a day of playing tomorrow so will give it a good run out over a range of styles / methods of shooting.

Quick thought; I should really put filters on the front of the glass but am toying between UV (I had those on the front of all my Nikon lenses) and polarizer filters - anyone want to share their approach?

Cheers

Spooks

Hi Spooky, lots of debate on the UV 'on' or 'off' on the threads. There are pros and cons. I personally don't, my rational is that I'm going to take the best possible care of them and only remove the lens cap for the exposure(s) which I will immediately replace afterwards. I'm not anti uv by any means. Horses for courses. I'm glad your getting on well with your new camera.

Can anyone with realworld experience of both cameras tell me how much better the XT1 performs in terms of AF speed with the 3 original XF primes (18, 35, 60) when compared to the X-Pro1?

Internet hyperbole is very mixed... Some claim the XT1 really needs the later internal focusing lenses to enjoy the AF speed advantage of the newer system and that with the original primes the XT isn't much quicker than the XE1/Pro

Where as other sources say the XT gives the original primes a new lease of life!

Thanks in advance

It's a bit like comparing apples with oranges as there is new firmware for all the lenses. I thought the 60mm was a bit sluggish in the macro mode on the X-T1 ( I never tried it on the x-pro1) as for portraits it's very fast. The 18 and 35mm are lighting fast to focus on the X-T1.

The 60mm is very sluggish on the X-Pro1 even with the latest firmware - so much so that the 55-200mm is probably the superior option at this focal length. It would be interesting to compare the 60mm in use on both of the bodies, just to see if the X-T1 can pull some extra performance from the focussing. But I suspect that the performance of the 60mm is being held back by the lens itself, and there's not much difference the body can make.

I tried the 60mm on both body,i found the speed not to bad,except when trying to use it in macro then :eek:,my 56mm just came thought today so will be giving it a try on both bodies :)

Can anyone with realworld experience of both cameras tell me how much better the XT1 performs in terms of AF speed with the 3 original XF primes (18, 35, 60) when compared to the X-Pro1?

Internet hyperbole is very mixed... Some claim the XT1 really needs the later internal focusing lenses to enjoy the AF speed advantage of the newer system and that with the original primes the XT isn't much quicker than the XE1/Pro

Where as other sources say the XT gives the original primes a new lease of life!

Thanks in advance
It's difficult to quantify without the tools to measure it, but the 35mm feels slightly faster on the X-T1, but that night just be because of the phase detection meaning less hunting.

The overriding limitation is probably the AF mechanism within the lens itself.

Back