The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

NCsrpvG.jpg

I've got a little "Discover" 25mm 1.8, which is sold under loads of different names (7artisans, newyi, pergear etc). Optically it's OK, neither here nor there. It has a strong vignette wide open which i like, and it's small, and it's silver so matches my X-T3.

I like it. It's small and well built, and the images have character.
Have you got any example images to post? It would be interesting to see how they come out.

Looks good to me! The last post I made with photos is all the TTArtisan 27mm AF on an X-T20. Vignettes very strongly when wide open but as you say; it’s added character which I like. If you’re shooting Fuji you’re probably after that character!

Anyone have the Viltrox 27mm 1.2 ? It looks like a bargain of a lens.
Yep if you check out my latest images some of them are with the Viltrox. Exceptionally sharp at 1.2 but has a heavy vignette which is easy to correct though. £430 from AVM Photo, absolute bargain.

Yep if you check out my latest images some of them are with the Viltrox. Exceptionally sharp at 1.2 but has a heavy vignette which is easy to correct though. £430 from AVM Photo, absolute bargain.

What body do you use it with and can you show me what it looks like on the body?

One or two of the cheap, manual focus lenses are tempting me. Might be fun to have a play with. Seem to punch above their very reasonable price tags according to a few reviews I've read as well.

A walk up Moel Siabod a few days ago with some lingering fog in the valley.

XT5, 16-80

Yr Wyddfa From Moel Siabod by Jason, on Flickr

I love this type of shot, and there is loads of this type of woodland around me, but for whatever reason I can never get it to work.

You've inspired me to keep trying!
Thanks a lot, that's great to hear. I think it's just practice to find the compositions that interest you. There's an app/site called alltrails, you may discover some local walks that you weren't aware of.

One or two of the cheap, manual focus lenses are tempting me. Might be fun to have a play with. Seem to punch above their very reasonable price tags according to a few reviews I've read as well.

A walk up Moel Siabod a few days ago with some lingering fog in the valley.

XT5, 16-80

Yr Wyddfa From Moel Siabod by Jason, on Flickr
I could barely see 10 feet away on my only visit up Moel Siabod :ROFLMAO:

Go for it. I bought the TTartisan 25mm f/2 lens a couple of months ago, probably the best £69 I've spent on my photography. It has loads of optical issues but it's great fun to shoot with and very satisfying when you get some good images from it.

I love this type of shot, and there is loads of this type of woodland around me, but for whatever reason I can never get it to work.

You've inspired me to keep trying!
I know the feeling. I live on the edge of Longleat forest, some stunning woodland paths, but I too can never seem to get the images I perceive.

Those remind me of my old X-T1 output.
The lens does have a very film like rendering. Probably the massive vignetting, very soft corners, haze, flare, distortion and field curvature . I like it though, I'm not expecting perfection from a £69 lens and it does make lovely vintage looking photos SOOC. The recipe is Classic Neg with a bit of an s-curve, colour chrome fx and colour chrome blue fx both set to strong.

Bah, a few weeks after getting my X-S10 a boxed, low shutter X-Pro2 drops on LCE ! Albeit £100 more than i want to spend though, but at least comes with the grip.

Last edited:
Anyone tried any of the cheap manual pancake lenses? Like that Meike 25mm (£80!?) I quite fancy amassing a collection; the TTartisan 27mm has been pretty successful all in all
I’ve had the pergear 25mm f1.8 which was very good in terms of image quality, but also very fiddly I found to operate. I currently have the tt artisans 25mm f2, which I’m actually yet to test out properly. It is a bit wider than the pergear was and in terms of how it feels to focus and change aperture I think is much more pleasant. The width helps with focus and a clicky aperture, rather than the clickless one of the pergear, is preferable for me.

Anyone tried any of the cheap manual pancake lenses? Like that Meike 25mm (£80!?) I quite fancy amassing a collection; the TTartisan 27mm has been pretty successful all in all
Missed this post when I replied to another asking basically the same thing yesterday, but yes I have. I went for the TTartisan 25mm f/2 in the end over the Meike lens, largely for the fact that the TTartisan lens has a clicked aperture ring, while the Meike's doesn't click. Cost me £69 from Amazon, and it's great. Tiny, all metal, feels very solid. Like I've said on another post the corners are horrific wide open, it has massive vignetting, barrel distortion and flares loads if you point it at a bright light but it's loads of fun to shoot with and the images from it have a lovely vintage quality. The IQ improves a lot if you stop down to f2,8 and by f4 it's pretty sharp apart from the extreme corners. Shooting manually is fun, it makes you slow down and work for your shots a bit more.

If you stretch to over £100 I believe the TTartisan 23mm f1.4 is a brilliant lens and a bit of a step up in IQ over the 25mm.

Last edited:
Missed this post when I replied to another asking basically the same thing yesterday, but yes I have. I went for the TTartisan 25mm f/2 in the end over the Meike lens, largely for the fact that the TTartisan lens has a clicked aperture ring, while the Meike's doesn't click. Cost me £69 from Amazon, and it's great. Tiny, all metal, feels very solid. Like I've said on another post the corners are horrific wide open, it has massive vignetting, barrel distortion and flares loads if you point it at a bright light but it's loads of fun to shoot with and the images from it have a lovely vintage quality. The IQ improves a lot if you stop down to f2,8 and by f4 it's pretty sharp apart from the extreme corners. Shooting manually is fun, it makes you slow down and work for your shots a bit more.

If you stretch to over £100 I believe the TTartisan 23mm f1.4 is a brilliant lens and a bit of a step up in IQ over the 25mm.
Excellent, I'll take a look at the TTArtisan then. 23mm is my ideal (35mm APS-C equivalent; lets see what all the fuss about 35mm is).

I think there is a bit of fun in getting a cheapo lens collection. I use my TTArtisan 27mm prime more than the 18-55mm kit lens on my X-T20; and ive started shooting it in manual as the AF is so noisy (and a bit hit and miss)

I assume its this one? Amazon Link

It looks like something out of Star Wars! I definitely prefer the look of the Meike one...
Yes that's the 23mm F1.4 lens. Looks a bit weird but has a better optical formula than the Meike and has a 10 bladed aperture for nicer bokeh. The 25mm f2 that I have is a bit cheaper and a stop slower, simpler optics and a 7 bladed aperture. Still lovely and sharp in the middle though for the price. Here's a close crop of a shot of my dog wide open at f2,SOOC. Stop down to f2.8 and you get loads more contrast. DSCF5832~2.JPG

Last edited:
Aren't the JPEGS lovely from Fuji cameras? I've always shot RAW as a rule. But switched to JPEG as I got near the capacity of my card. I have to say there is a beautiful look to them. In fact, for what I do, they are absolutely fine.

Back