The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So, I have been trying to decide between either an xs10/20 or going back to an Oly E-M1 mk3.
The Oly will leave the most for a few lenses, going Fuji I will have enough for a 16-80 + 1 other lens.
But I am wondering if the xs10/20 will be a bit of a back step after owning the Oly before.

I am now thinking if a 2nd hand xt4 or 5 might be a better option. If I go for the 4, I will have about £700 left for another lens, but the 5 will only leave about £250.

With the Oly the 12-45 was on the camera 95% of the time and I just had a slightly longer lens for the odd occasion I needed it. I am after something about the same size and weight as the Oly and with a fully articulating screen

So, I have been trying to decide between either an xs10/20 or going back to an Oly E-M1 mk3.
The Oly will leave the most for a few lenses, going Fuji I will have enough for a 16-80 + 1 other lens.
But I am wondering if the xs10/20 will be a bit of a back step after owning the Oly before.

I am now thinking if a 2nd hand xt4 or 5 might be a better option. If I go for the 4, I will have about £700 left for another lens, but the 5 will only leave about £250.

With the Oly the 12-45 was on the camera 95% of the time and I just had a slightly longer lens for the odd occasion I needed it. I am after something about the same size and weight as the Oly and with a fully articulating screen

I don’t know anything about the Olympus, but if you went for an X-T4 and had £700 left then you could get some very nice glass. If you went for the 18-55 instead of the 16-80 you’d save some money too. I’ve just re-read your post and seen that you want a fully articulating screen: you’ll need the X-T4 for that; Fuji have gone back to the 2-way tilting screen for the X-T5.

Maybe not 100% fitting in with the screen requirements but a 2nd hand XT3 might be worth thinking about.

I will keep my eye out for an x-t4 I think and then decided on the 16-80 or 18-55. Will probably see what WEX London have in stock next time I am working in London

I said I would be back with more questions :) .... and here I am!! :ROFLMAO:

I shoot RAW only on my Sony gear. Using Lightroom Classic btw.

I'm currently shooting RAW & jpeg on the X100f initially. But, myself (& the other half - I got a second opinion!) prefer the simulation jpeg's over the RAW with simulation applied in LR - which I guess is the whole point really of shooting jpeg only......!

Anyway..... I really don't want to be 'editing' the images as such. But, I was wondering do you guys still import the jpegs into LR for slight exposure & crop ratio tweaks? I will admit, I do like importing straight from camera into Lightroom & the catalogue aspect of it all after all these years. I hate opening individual files in PS!

It's been over..... 15 years at least since I have shot jpeg!! I feel a little bit lost & out of touch.

Oh, I will be adding some photos to the thread at some point - not just daft questions for you all :)

I'm currently shooting RAW & jpeg on the X100f initially. But, myself (& the other half - I got a second opinion!) prefer the simulation jpeg's over the RAW with simulation applied in LR - which I guess is the whole point really of shooting jpeg only......!

Anyway..... I really don't want to be 'editing' the images as such. But, I was wondering do you guys still import the jpegs into LR for slight exposure & crop ratio tweaks? I will admit, I do like importing straight from camera into Lightroom & the catalogue aspect of it all after all these years. I hate opening individual files in PS!

It's been over..... 15 years at least since I have shot jpeg!! I feel a little bit lost & out of touch.

Oh, I will be adding some photos to the thread at some point - not just daft questions for you all :)

I shoot mostly in jpeg, I tend to only use the RAW files if I’ve got some really deep shadows that need recovering. I generally do still give the jpegs a little tweak in Affinity - mainly just cropping & straightening, but sometimes I’ll bring the shadows up a bit too.

Early walk along Cowes Sea front yesterday, Caught this image in front of the Royal Yacht Squadron.
Xt4 Viltrox 27 1.2

Round the Bend by Nick Lowe, on Flickr

"Excellent" candid street style capture Nick, really liking the contre-jour light and the contrasty mono presentation.

Okay...... So issue two :ROFLMAO:

I've got the camera jpegs imported (treat jpeg as RAW was checked in preferences) but in the Develop module, LR has applied a 'Colour' profile to them & changed the colours from the SOOC colours :rolleyes: - it also doesn't give me the Fuji simulation profiles either like it does with RAW imports.

I think it depends on what you want out of the camera Lee, for me with my X100T it's a carry everywhere almost point & shoot so jpgs with my preferred simulation (Classic Chrome) will mostly do fine. I do however shoot jpg Fine + RAW just in case but tbh for the kind of "snapshots" I use my X100T for the jpgs with little more than resizing and some tidying up etc are plenty good enough. If I happen to snap a shot I think is worth it the RAW can then be processed in Lightroom etc for optimum quality. I think the beauty of the X100 series is the ease and convenience of use with SOOC jpgs that are good enough with enough to be shared as memories etc but with the RAWs having plenty of potential to make wall mounting photos.

I think it depends on what you want out of the camera Lee, for me with my X100T it's a carry everywhere almost point & shoot so jpgs with my preferred simulation (Classic Chrome) will mostly do fine. I do however shoot jpg Fine + RAW just in case but tbh for the kind of "snapshots" I use my X100T for the jpgs with little more than resizing and some tidying up etc are plenty good enough. If I happen to snap a shot I think is worth it the RAW can then be processed in Lightroom etc for optimum quality. I think the beauty of the X100 series is the ease and convenience of use with SOOC jpgs that are good enough with enough to be shared as memories etc but with the RAWs having plenty of potential to make wall mounting photos.

I agree Paul. I also want the X100f to be more of a 'snapshot' type camera. I almost want it to be a digital version of film. My aim (eventually) is to shoot OVF only, no rear screen on and I get what I get! I just need to get used to reading the histogram again, I've spent years shooting Sony using zebra's without the histogram even on!! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I'll get there. Just need to work out a new routine that's all :)

Hey, I can shoot, laser align a tracker, stack, blend multiple night sky images with foregrounds & panoramas but can't work out jpegs SOOC :facepalm: :ROFLMAO:

I've got the camera jpegs imported (treat jpeg as RAW was checked in preferences) but in the Develop module, LR has applied a 'Colour' profile to them & changed the colours from the SOOC colours :rolleyes: - it also doesn't give me the Fuji simulation profiles either like it does with RAW imports.
That happens in acr and ps too (don't use lr). Bit of a pain in the arse, hey ho. Something that I've learnt to deal with.
Sorry I can't be of much help regarding lr.

I mostly use the raw files, but if I wanted to use the jpegs, I would still import to Lightroom to keep them in the catalog, so that I could find them again in future.

Have you got any import settings applied? I can try importing some jpegs later in the weekend if you are still struggling.

I mostly use the raw files, but if I wanted to use the jpegs, I would still import to Lightroom to keep them in the catalog, so that I could find them again in future.

Have you got any import settings applied? I can try importing some jpegs later in the weekend if you are still struggling.

No. I just straight import. Always have. I'll just keep trying and playing around with things :)

Thanks.

How many here back button focus? I was on some other forums today and they mentioned use the shutter button, put the box where you need it and press the shutter fully so the focus and exposure happen together

Got me thinking how everyone works differently

I usually only use the RAWs, but sometimes I import both into LR - I have 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate photos' checked.

I've just checked a folder that I imported this way.

The JPGs just get imported in LR - though the profile is Adobe Color - so an Acros JPG appears as a mono image even though the Profile is Adobe Color

On a colour image switching between teh two the Colour Profile remians as Adobe Color but there is sdefinitely a difference in colours between the JPG and RAW - if I set the RAW color profile to a Camera Simulation then the colours appear the same as the JPG taken with that profile.

A JPG from the camera is a fixed profile so Adobe will only give you Color/Monochrome options,

Does that make sense?

There is an option in the Preferences > Presets to change the Raw Default - Global Profile - I've never changed this

But I do have a Fuji Import Profile - my version of the Adobe Default Profile with sharpening reduced to zero - I have set this up so that Fuji RAWS have this applied and other cameras still have the Adobe Default. Set Override Global Setting for Specific Camera check to enable this.

1706428628433.png

I'm using Lightroom Classic BTW

And @LeeRatters you might have saved me several thousand pounds, I've been seriously looking at a Leica Q series camera, then looking at stuff in my LR to answer your question, its not about the camera, its about the light :D (X100F - Acros)

Crewe Station by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Probably won't stop me disapperaing down a GAS rabbit hole though......................:ROFLMAO:

And @LeeRatters you might have saved me several thousand pounds, I've been seriously looking at a Leica Q series camera, then looking at stuff in my LR to answer your question, its not about the camera, its about the light :D (X100F - Acros)

Probably won't stop me disapperaing down a GAS rabbit hole though......................:ROFLMAO:
Love this! As you say it is all about the light :)

How many here back button focus? I was on some other forums today and they mentioned use the shutter button, put the box where you need it and press the shutter fully so the focus and exposure happen together

I use it on my GFX 50S but not on my X-T2s or X100T as the buttons are a bit small for me. I mainly manual focus my X-T2s as I find the AF isn't accurate in the landscape (on Dartmoor) as there is often too much low contrast gress and rocks. I just (mainly) my X100T as almost a point and shoot so the shutter button is fine, often I focus hold the shutter button at half press and recompose as I find it quicker than moving the focus box.

I usually only use the RAWs, but sometimes I import both into LR - I have 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate photos' checked.

I've just checked a folder that I imported this way.

The JPGs just get imported in LR - though the profile is Adobe Color - so an Acros JPG appears as a mono image even though the Profile is Adobe Color

On a colour image switching between teh two the Colour Profile remians as Adobe Color but there is sdefinitely a difference in colours between the JPG and RAW - if I set the RAW color profile to a Camera Simulation then the colours appear the same as the JPG taken with that profile.

A JPG from the camera is a fixed profile so Adobe will only give you Color/Monochrome options,

Does that make sense?

There is an option in the Preferences > Presets to change the Raw Default - Global Profile - I've never changed this

But I do have a Fuji Import Profile - my version of the Adobe Default Profile with sharpening reduced to zero - I have set this up so that Fuji RAWS have this applied and other cameras still have the Adobe Default. Set Override Global Setting for Specific Camera check to enable this.

View attachment 413166

I'm using Lightroom Classic BTW

Thanks for the effort & info David. Appreciated :)

More playing about time needed I think. I really want this X100f to work for me :)

Yeah, you don't need a Leica ;)

I use BBF with my Sony bodies but being new to the X100f I haven't really tried it yet as the rear button doesn't seem as easy to find without looking/feeling around.

Having recently purchased an X T5 with the std 18-55 mm lens. As I have moved from Nikon, I am now wondering about my existing lenses.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Sigma 17-70mm 1:2.8-4 Marcro HSM
Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G

and the two kit lenses from the D90 and D50.

As mainly an Architectural, Landscape photographer.

Is it worth buying a converter?
Do I exchange the lens for Fuji/thirdparty, if so what, one I am considering is the Fujifilm XF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 R LM OIS WR?

Thoughts appreciated.

Wandering the Malverns with my X-Pro2 & 35mm f2. Quite possibly my favourite combination at the present time.

View attachment 413331

Were you up on the Worcester Beacon? I can see British Camp, Eastnor Monument and May Hill in the background.

Last edited:
New X100 to be announced 20th Feb apparently.

40MP
IBIS
Same lens

Not seen anything else mentioned regarding upgrades.

Having recently purchased an X T5 with the std 18-55 mm lens. As I have moved from Nikon, I am now wondering about my existing lenses.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Sigma 17-70mm 1:2.8-4 Marcro HSM
Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G

and the two kit lenses from the D90 and D50.

As mainly an Architectural, Landscape photographer.

Is it worth buying a converter?
Do I exchange the lens for Fuji/thirdparty, if so what, one I am considering is the Fujifilm XF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 R LM OIS WR?

Thoughts appreciated.

I'd go native and decent converter with AF (like teh Fringer) is quite a few £££ anyway and teh Fuji glass is excellent.

You can save some money by buying from the Fuji Refurbished store - every item I've had from this has been like new though the packaging may be generic. Howver your chosen lens is out of stock at the moment.

New X100 to be announced 20th Feb apparently.

40MP
IBIS
Same lens

Not seen anything else mentioned regarding upgrades.

Body supposed to be same size (or therabouts), rumours flying of the newer battery and reducing the card size to a micro SD to allow room for bigger battery. We might find the processor is throttled a bit (compared with say X-T5), so as to 1) differentiate (marking speak!!) and 2) manage heat better in a smaller body.

Body supposed to be same size (or therabouts), rumours flying of the newer battery and reducing the card size to a micro SD to allow room for bigger battery. We might find the processor is throttled a bit (compared with say X-T5), so as to 1) differentiate (marking speak!!) and 2) manage heat better in a smaller body.
Hmm given the lack of high speed micro SD cards sounds like there won't be any performance upgrades then.

Back