The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

I've just bought a Kase Magnetic filter set. The Hoya Circular Polariser I have has been using has been looking a bit worse for wear, so I needed to replace that.

Whilst I was away recently, I wanted to use a Polariser and ND filter at the same time, and doing that with two screw in filters was a pita. Trying to autofocus once the ND was on was very difficult. With one of my lenses I can't just focus and turn the AF or the camera off and it stays focused, because it is focus by wire, and loses focus with no power. This should get around that problem easier in the future.

Looking at where they were based, to give an idea as to whether they would be delivered in the next couple of days, I was surprised to find that their UK office is in Liverpool city centre. :) They seem to have used Royal Mail to send it, but they could have saved themselves a few £'s and delivered it themselves, as I am only a couple of miles away. ;):)

I know I could get a square filter system, but too much faff for me. ;)

Thought I'd seen the last of this thread...

Been looking through my photos and noticed most are shot at 18mm, I sometimes wish I had a lens just a couple of mm wider and I've always liked the idea of shooting with prime lenses, so I've treated myself to a Fuji 16mm f2.8, I'll call it a late Christmas present, to myself.

Some recent bird photography has had me struggling with the focus limitations of my 6D which I love in every other respect. But now looking at a 5D4.

Think I have succumed was looking at Park Camera's web site used equipment. There it was a Canon 5Dii described as like new with shutter count of 1270 I was forced to buy it also ordered a 16-35mm f4 l lens. Now got to explain it to SWMBO.
Plus side I can just stick the nifty fifty on for Gavs 50mm challange.

Last edited:
Think I have succumed was looking at Park Camera's web site used equipment. There it was a Canon 5Dii described as like new with shutter count of 1270 I was forced to buy it also ordered a 16-35mm f4 l lens.

I succumbed too.... A like new Nikon D90 with a shutter count of 802 managed to break my resistance when I was trying to talk myself out of needing a lighter camera than my full frame Nikons...... I recently sold one of my D200s so hopefully SWMBO won't notice the my new acquisition.... ;););)

I succumbed too recently decided my 70-200 EF lens needed replacing, I'd had it 10 years though I reckon, upgraded it with an RF version, used it on a Friday night shoot.

finding I'm drawn to the Canon R1 launch spec rumours and dates.... even better AF tracking... maybe global shutter.....

finding I'm drawn to the Canon R1 launch spec rumours and dates.... even better AF tracking... maybe global shutter.....
Is there an actual date yet? I predict an annouoncement a few days later saying that it is delayed!:exit:

Does this count?
Just had a friend go to check this out for me and purchase it in Lincoln
1706827656675.png

Box, batteries and charger, un opened strap, nearly $5000 at launch in 2009, now under £400, and I can use it with all my lenses EF :).
A real "always wanted one but couldn't afford/justify it" when current, will now spend ages going through all the menus and buttons - photographer geek heaven

1706827814882.png

My friend also bought this - which I would have bought given the chance but he got it first.
In fact I think here are the two pinnacles of Canon SLR pro shooters from the film and digital eras

David

Nikon Z 180-600 lens for £1779 from Grays, Just had to get it to replace the Sigma 150-600

A real "always wanted one but couldn't afford/justify it" when current, will now spend ages going through all the menus and buttons - photographer geek heaven
I liked my 1DS II but it was seriously heavy - too heavy in a bag with a 5D and lenses....

Canon 5D and 1Ds II TZ7 1020239.jpeg

Apologies to anyone living between Edinburgh, Carlisle, Newcastle & Berwick-upon-Tweed hoping to see an aurora ever again.

I've bought a 16mm f/2.8 lens, so that should be the end of that forever in that area.
I already had a 14mm/2.8 but that didn't stop me missing all the good bits of the local aurora viewing. I found out about it a few hours too late so could only manage a few shots where the camera could confirm the aurora was faintly visible above the fog...

Picked up a couple of older Fujifilm DSLR'S, I kind of regret letting go of the S2 a few years ago, which was mint and boxed, the S1 I've just found is like new, sadly it didn't come with any of the supplied accessories or box, I did own a S1 pro many years ago, but wasn't in a great condition when I sold it, compared to modern cameras, these are pretty slow in comparison.Screenshot_20240309_164402_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20240309_164356_eBay.jpg20240504_153908.jpg20240504_153858.jpg

Last edited:
Forgive me GAS. It has been four months since my last confession.

Since being given a film camera, it persuaded me to dig out my own film camera.

I gave away the Pentax, but got my old Minolta X-500 out of a box.

I only ever had one lens for it (a 50/1.7) so I bought ‘some’ more.

Acquired. (All Minolta MDII OR III)

24/2.8
28/2.8
35/1.8
45/2
50/1.4
100/2.5
135/3.5

28-70/3.5-4.8
28-85/3.5-4.5
35-70/3.5

Panagor 80-210

Oh. But then my original camera starting developing a fault. I ‘think’ it’s the capacitor. Asked how much it would be to fix in the camera shop near work and they said £150 - and couldn’t tell me how long it would take.

For that price, I could buy another Minolta X-500. So I did.

I liked using the lenses. A lot. And wanted to see if I could convert to use on my 5DIII.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a worse possible combination than Minolta and FF Canon. The focal distance is too similar, and the lenses won’t clear the mirror or focus to infinity.

I could have used my old 80D (I believe) but I traded that in.

So I bought an original Sony A7.

I like the idea of the Sony and the Minolta lenses as in some way, you could argue that they’re heritage lenses for Sony cameras.

Anyway, I liked it so much, I began to question if my next move might be to switch from Canon to Sony.

Asked on here about the validity of that. But most people said if you’re going mirrorless, the Canon R6 outshines the A7.

Plus, the sums didn’t work out. I’d have to sell all my Canon gear and it didn’t look like that would be enough to get a newer Sony and lenses.

So I was looking at a SH Canon R6 I. But then the prices dropped on the mkII and suddenly brought it into the same price range as a second hand MKII.

So I now have an R6Ii as well.

I think I might need to say more than a few Hail Marys.

I'm also going to have to wait a while before I can even think about any RF lenses.

Last edited:
It has been a bit quiet one here - come on, own up! What have you bought since February?

Just managed to avoid buying an OM1 Mk2 plus 12-40 lens before the bank hols with a few offers that are now finished.
Mainly looking as I had EM1 with this and a few other lenses but convinced myself to get rid and only use iphone but then bought a sony rx100 mk7 which is fantastic but Im just not getting on with it so ill be selling that at some point come what may.
When black friday comes around though I may not be able to resist the OM again.

As it was my 60 something Birthday this Month, acquired the Canon RF100mm-400mm. Seems I lucked into a good deal with £50 off at the counter and another £100 coming back via the Canon Len Reward scheme. For the eagle eyed among you, I was vacillating between the extremely expensive 100-500mm and in the end, I felt I couldn't justify the cost and was swayed by seeing a lot of great images out there with the 100-400.

Next stop, trade my kit lens for the 24-105 f4 or the RF100mm macro before the lens reward offer ends in the Autumn!

I already had a 14mm/2.8 but that didn't stop me missing all the good bits of the local aurora viewing. I found out about it a few hours too late so could only manage a few shots where the camera could confirm the aurora was faintly visible above the fog...
It's not about missing them now though... I've suitably jinxed it forever (or as long as I own the lens)

I got a Canon R6 markii , two week ago, to replace my 10yr old 5D markii which has been giving one or two problems recently. Will now be thinking about getting an RF lens, not sure what yet.

Back