The Hide set up

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
Krazy Horse asked about my set up at the hide. It is really just a simple branch fixed to a 2x2 post.
no1.jpg

no2
The post is 5ft 6inches & gives you an idea how close I get the birds to the hide.
no2.jpg

No3
Blue tit on feeder shot with an 18 - 50mm.
There are a couple of LTTs in the background
no_5.jpg

One thing I would say is that the hide is not visited very much during the week ( other than to fill feeders once a day) This means the birds can get really relaxed about feeding there. The nearest house is about a half mile away & I have a sort of "arrangement" with the landowner that he stays away from there too. Had to build him a cabin to get that:LOL:

Thanks Sawman, that looks fantastic, it is so simple but obviously very effective.

I will have to start knocking on doors, and seeking permission from land owners...

Many thanks again for sharing.

Jonathan

Thanks Sawman, that looks fantastic, it is so simple but obviously very effective.

I will have to start knocking on doors, and seeking permission from land owners...

Many thanks again for sharing.

Jonathan
No problem. One advantage of having the branch fixed to a post is that it does not blow about the same as its in the shelter of the hide. I am going to try slowly over a few weeks to rotate it so it is nearer the window yet. If the birds are not happy I will return it to the original position.
I am also going to dig a wee pond there too.
Looking for an old tree root to set there too.

Great setup SM ... (y) ... and a wonderful understanding with your neighbours and landowner ... :D

:p

Great setup SM ... (y) ... and a wonderful understanding with your neighbours and landowner ... :D

:p
Cheers. I should also point out that just up the hill from there is the spot he has chosen as a good place for my ashes:thinking:

Well I have just bought some more sawmill gear so I suppose I will have to if I want some money back. So much for putting my feet up in the hide.:shrug::LOL:

Now you have your hide set-up and the birds getting comfy with feeding there you could start to think about more natual shots rather then on feeders.

To do this keep the feeders out of shot and use logs in shot with holes for food. This way the birds will still come to the area but when they come over to the logs you will get more natual shots.

Just a suggestion :)

Thanks. I have kept the feeders out of shot for some time now. The next plan is to "plant" a dead tree with as you say holes drilled in it to conceal the food. I am thinking of the area in front of the hide as an outdoor studio if you like & as such I can change things around gradually. Ultimate aim is to get a shot or two of the Woodcock that hang about there during the winter. Some years there are quite a lot. This year their have not been so many.

With some luck and patience you should be in for some great captures from this set-up (y)

Back